• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home Defense Ammo for 20gauge?

2000 sqft house, one story, longest unobstructed room 30ft, only 2 adults present, one is semi-invalid.

20 gauge Shockwave w/laser. Have done some pattern tests with 3" #4 shot and not impressed.
Tending towards slugs Fed.Premium 2 3/4" Vital Shok.

Comments?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use slugs in the house. There are lots of conversations on 12ga home defense loads, perhaps you could start with similar loads for your 20. I would stay with 2 3/4" thinking it is less recoil, and I think you would be able to load more rounds.
I'm shooting 2 3/4" 00 Buck, with Flight Control, for in house and outside, but that's in a 12ga.
I tried Scoops link but it did not work.

#4 shot or #4 buck?

When I tested #3 Buck and fired them out of a 18.5" barrel I was getting about a 5" spread at 14 ft and at 21 ft the spead was about 8". Spartan makes a #1 buck that patterned well for me and Wolf Hill makes a 00 and buck and ball, it`s a bit pricey and I have not tried it. Winchester and Federal both make a #3 and 4 buckshot that seem to be readlily available at most sporting goods stores. Federal seems to provide a tighter pattern.....

http://wolfhillammo.com/20-gauge-specialty.aspx

100_5028.JPG

It's a shame they don't make Federal Flite Control in 20 ga. #1 or #4 buck seems like the way to go then. A slug is a bit much for indoor shooting, penetration and recoil would be heavier than buck shot.

I agree with John 100%. You need to charge up some buck & ball loads buddy. Pick up a cheap Lee load-all and start experimenting.

Next summer I would like to do some testing with wax loads. Instead of Wax, well you'll see....;)

By the way I finally bought some of that red powder paint from Harbor Freight. I'm going to do up some lipstick loads... LOL.

You have a laser on the gun so why not rock some soft lead Foster slug ammo? They aren't tank rounds.

Or practice with some very inexpensive wax slugs in your laser pointed 20-ga Shockwave for fun and giggles. :)

Basically you open up the end of a shotshell and pour hot wax over the shot. This makes it into sort of a slug.

You can see demonstrations of this on YouTube.

Back