• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home made Slings

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I recently ordered some webbing and hardware to make a few slings. I have two different places that I usually buy from depending on what I'm making.

http://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

and

http://www.ahh.biz/webbing/

I really had two reasons to make a few slings. The MP5 has recently went through a facelift, so I decided to make a good one for it.

slings 001.JPG

The front buckle being in such close proximity to the charging handle, I covered with a 2 inch tubular style webbing to both prevent grabbing it when I'm cocking the gun, and also to prevent the snap hook from accidently being pushed.

And I suppose the tube webbing could be used over the shoulder as extra padding if having to keep the gun at the ready for extended periods of time too.

slings 003.JPG

slings 005.JPG

The other reason I made up a couple of slings is I have a really good friend who just turned 55 and I wanted to make him a nice one to give him for his Bday.

I am giving him his choice of the traditional sling (OD/Black) or the single point (Coyote/Black/Tan).

slings 009.JPG

slings 006.JPG

I also had enough of the 2" tan tubular strap to cover the hook and buckle for the same reasons as I noted above, although I realize it's not a good color match. The tubular webbing just slides in place and could be used or removed at will.

slings 008.JPG

Anyway, the whole point of the thread is to show that it's a lot less expensive to make your own slings than it is to buy them usually and is not really hard to do.

I think I have a grand total of about $35 including shipping for 3 slings. The HK sling alone usually costs more than that by itself. And getting a single point with good hardware doesn't usually come cheap either. I've seen a lot of airsoft quality slings flood the market lately and they leave a lot to be desired for anyone more than 10 years old.

And the whole reason for the side release buckles is so I can swap carry styles by simply unbuckling and changing it.

sling 001.JPG

looks good. i will definately have to keep the listed sites in mind. slings are pretty pricey. and i like the option of building to fit my needs

I saw someone walking around the other day carrying an ar with a 3-point sling attached. But they managed to rig it as a single point sling. I'm gonna try to figure out how they did it but I was impressed. I'd never even thought of rigging it that way. Anyone else familiar with this method?

Thank you.

It was my 2nd sbr.

It was a lot more work than making an SBR AR.

John, is it possible to burn the cut edges of the tube with a lighter to stop the fray?

Those look sweeeeeet too. Nice job sir!

Yes, you can burn the ends to keep them from unraveling.

Dude, great work!!! I've been procrastinating making my own rig, possibly plate carrier and can't find any good sources for Mil Spec webbing or slightly close... sites bookmarked for future use :D

How do you like that MP5??

The truth is, it's been one of the most finicky guns I have ever owned.

Just made up a 1 1/4" sling from and old M151 nylon door strap actully required two for the extra triglide all hardware is blackened Brass and is Mill surplus works great on my 702 plinkister

If I had the skills, I would like a sling or two braided out of heavy cord. Something that could be cannibalized as needed in a survival situation. Alas, no skills in braiding.
I don't know if my wife does, she doesn't seem to want to discuss it.

If I had the skills, I would like a sling or two braided out of heavy cord. Something that could be cannibalized as needed in a survival situation. Alas, no skills in braiding.
I don't know if my wife does, she doesn't seem to want to discuss it.
I wove a 6 foot dog leash with a quick release weave a couple years ago. It wasn't the prettiest, but it worked. Lots of instructional vids out there.

I have trouble finding sling's I like. Have two military sling's and was just switching depending on which rifle I was using. Found a re-placement wood stock for a 700 ADL some time back. It doesn't have detachable stud's so was just without a sling for it. It's military or close or nothing. Finally found an inexpensive strap that I didn't like for about $7. Brought it home and used the hardware on it to make a new sling with some 1" webbing I already had. Worked out pretty good but would still like to have a leather mil sling for it!

That flat wide patch on modern slings really turns me off. Problem is I carry a rifle muzzle down and wrap my wrist in the sling up front to steady the shot. Muzzle down I learned in Germany, called the Jaeger carry. Carry on left shoulder with hand on the fore end. It was hard to believe just how fast a gun can be mounted when carryed that way. Take's the right sling!

Problem is I carry a rifle muzzle down and wrap my wrist in the sling up front to steady the shot. Muzzle down I learned in Germany, called the Jaeger carry. Carry on left shoulder with hand on the fore end. It was hard to believe just how fast a gun can be mounted when carryed that way. Take's the right sling!

Ive always heard of this called “African Carry”. I carry the same way and I agree, it is fast to bring up a rifle, or most commonly in my case, a shotgun.

Back