• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Homemade Spray Case Lube

terry2425

.270 WIN
Anyone have a recipe for homemade spray case lube? I hate to pay $8.95 for a small bottle of Dillon's or Hornaday's spray case lube.

Someone told me to use 1 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol and 1 1/2 TBS of anhydrous lanolin mix and it is the same as Dillon's case lube.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I have 15 thousand rounds of 223 to load.

haven't ever heard of a homemade spray yet......I haven't thought about the money for the One Shot, I was just so happy that I didn't have to roll cases on a pad, One Shot is worth its weight n gold ! Homemade would be cool for you in your high volume loading......nothing like a stuck case to ruin your reloading session, good luck!

Heck, I think I would just stay with One Shot but homemade has been around for years. IIRC from reading about on Brian Enos site it is four or five parts 99% isopropyl alcohol and one part lanolin oil (not solid lanolin).

I think your 1-1/2 Tbl is a bit too diluted. I'm sure there is a ton of info out there.

I wouldn't want to figure out the ratio till it was right, stuck case city

My Dillon 1050 to load 223 has a carbide sizing die which helps in the amount of case lube you need to size the case. Still need to lube the cases though.

BTW I just spent $8,000 for 6 Dillon Loaders and auto primer fillers for the ammo business. I bought two 1050's, four 650's and a large and small auto primer filler to load 223, 9MM, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 380 Auto, 38/357 and 44 MAG. I'll rebuild the Lee Loadmasters and do 10MM, 38 Super and 45 Long Colt on them.

I bought the Dillon's through Brian Enos in Arizona. Free shipping and a 5% discount for sending a cashiers check. Brian and his company are absolutely first class for customer service and buying Dillon products.

wow, putting out some shells....seems like I'm always chasing the dang reloading bench.....just never enough ammo

doing 38 super in there I see. I have been shooting a bit of it lately , I'm going to need to look into reloading them soon......are they all nickel case?....seems to be all I have ever had.

I have both brass and nickel cases. I buy all of the brass from a local shooting range and I get a very good assortment of rifle and pistol brass, most of it is once fired. One of my customers shoots 500 to 1000 38 super a month and supplies his own brass. I also found some new cases from the Starline Website that was priced very reasonable.

I guess I am not much of a reloader. I have been using the same 4oz bottle of Herters Case Lube Oil for the past 30-35 years. Got about an ounce left. Never had a stuck case, but a couple came close. Bob.

I guess I am not much of a reloader. I have been using the same 4oz bottle of Herters Case Lube Oil for the past 30-35 years. Got about an ounce left. Never had a stuck case, but a couple came close. Bob.
What is your method of application? Spray directly on the,cases? Roll them on a pad or towel? I only ask because I'm looking to start reloading soon. And want to be efficient about it.

I roll the cases on a pad and add oil to the pad as needed. You don't want excess oil on the cases; that can cause dents in the brass when resizing. Great hobby, reloading. Bob.

I lay the cases on a towel with the case neck pointed up. Spray a very light coat of the case lube on the cases and rotate them 180 degrees and spray another very light coat. I then roll them back and forth to get a very even, light coating on them. Then it's off to the sizing/case trimming machine. After they are sized and trimmed, I wipe them with a clean towel just enough to get the excess lube off the case, but leave a very light film. I use a Dillon 1050 that has a carbide sizing die to load my 223. With a very light film of case lube, you can barely feel the case being sized again while loading.

I use the 99% alcohol / lanolin mix. 4:1 was suggested on Enos with some discussion. I am closer to 1:6 with great results.

I've tried a number of different applications and am now stuck on the plastic bag method. I lay the bag flat and try to spray lightly across as many cases as possible. Seal bag, mash 'em up. If it 'feels' right - we are done. Sometimes I'll go for a second small spritz - you get a feel for it quickly!

Lanolin is not water soluble - I use a wet tumble with pins and all the lube will not come off in the tumble (+Dawn & Lemi-Fresh). SO before tumbling (fully sized and primers out) I put the cases in a Tupperware shaker with some 91% alcohol (costs less - look for it on sale or BOGO) and shake/wash the lube off. I follow this with hot water and dawn in the same container. The lanolin now exposed to alcohol does continue to come off.

Then off to the pins and the rock tumblers.

It sounds like more work than it is. And the result is VERY clean rifle cases that were very easy to work with. Clean primer pockets too - a time saver!

Back