• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady 40sw 165g FTX

Wrenches

.270 WIN
Sometime ago I picked a box of said rounds and I had them loaded in my Sig P250c. It chambers and all that but they stick in my mag. They'll go up but still be pointing down a little instead of popping up to the ramp.

So I measured the rounds I have at the top of the casings; PDX1 165 - .420, Rem 180 - .420 and the Hornady 165 - .422.

There's the .002 difference which is very little but it seems enough to make it stick so what is that? Thicker casing or fatter bullet?

I haven't shot any of it but I guess a trip to the range is in order to see if it'll jam on me.

I'd guess the brass. According to Hornady "most" of their brass is made by them at their plant. Which tells me they also purchase from other vendors, such as StarLine. So I'd expect some minor variation in them due to that. http://www.hornady.com/ammunition

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I measured the bullet right at the edge of the casing.

PDX1 - .398
Rem - .399
Hor - .3945

Weird. On visual inspection the casing does look thicker but the bullet is thinner ??

Wrenches said:
Sometime ago I picked a box of said rounds and I had them loaded in my Sig P250c. It chambers and all that but they stick in my mag. They'll go up but still be pointing down a little instead of popping up to the ramp.

They wont be nosediving in the magazine whem the mag in inserted in your pistol. The center raised bar along the centerline of your slide, behind the breechface, pushes the case rim down off the mag feed lips, bringing the cartridge nose upward to horizontal.

I haven't shot any of it but I guess a trip to the range is in order to see if it'll jam on me.

Good idea, but I really doubt you'll have an issue.

Back