• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady Handgun Ammo?

Sorry brother,

I shoot/carry the Hornady Critical Defense in my Kimber, but I have no experience with their steel match stuff. Looks like the biggest advantage of these rounds is that they're loaded a bit lighter to reduce velocity and muzzle flip. This is great for competitions/matches where time is a factor and there is a need for speedy follow-up shots.

My $.02 on steel?

Usually the appeal of steel cased ammo is that it's cheaper than brass. At 27.50 per 50rd box that's not the case with this Hornady stuff though. It is MATCH ammo so I get why it's not cheap.

Because steel is much harder than brass, a lot of folks shy away from it due to the potential increase in wear to the parts of the pistol that contact the casing like the feed ramps, extractor, etc. Shooting a box of it probably won't hurt anything, but extended use over time could potentially cause increased wear and tear.

Also because steel will not expand in the chamber like brass during fire, you can expect more carbon and powder residue build-up in the chamber.

All that said, pick up a box and let it rip! The big question is, will you see a measureable difference in your results on paper? That'll determine if it's worth the extra $$$.

Thanks!!! I appreciate that input, lots of considerations I just have no clue about...

I've been able to find it priced better than the MSRP, but ammo has definitely gone up recently so not by a bunch.

I like the lower velocity loads so that works for me. What I dont like is practicing with one load and relying on another, I may try a box or 2 for the heck of it though.

Thanks again! If I can get some of these, I'll let yall know what I think!

I have always been a brass guy when it comes to ammo for my handguns.

Back