• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady lock-n-load auto powder dispense

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Oli wanted me to keep him updated on this unit, so instead of running another thread off topic, i figured i would start anew

Although I've yet to do any reloading with it, I did take it to the bench and just play with it a little this evening.

Obviously it functions just like what you can see on any youtube video, I didnt get too deep into various functions, just set it on the bench, plugged it in, and started reading the instruction card. Did a calibration, and grabbed a few random projectiles from my stock to weigh. all weighed witin .1 grain respectively. Nosler 55 grain, Hornady 55 grain, and Armscor 62 grain. Just for gits and shiggles i set my cheapy Lee beam balance to 55 grain, and put a Nosler 55 on it, dead on. I put some 4064 in the Hopper of the Hornady, and set a target weight, 24 grain, hit the dispense button and let it do its thing. When it slows down to the trickle function its very slow, like an eighth of a rotaion at a time. basically one kernal of powder every few seconds. Its very good at hitting the target weight though. No slower than throwing a charge, and trickling into the scale. I would just dump the pan back into the hopper and set it back to let it auto charge again. Probably did this about 10 times, with only 1 over weight, but when i hit the enter button to read the weight it was dead on. I played with a few tenths each direction of 24 grain, just to see consistency, then set the target into the 80's, function was no different accept it ran a long time. Thats a lot of powder though. Metered consistent charges, consistently. After i was satisfied with function, i turned it to the side, opened the valve, and drained my powder back into the can. I will say i was a litle surprised how much hung in the hopper, due to static. It took a fair amount of jiggling, tapping, shaking, and poking with my finger to get all the kernels to fall through.

Aside from the cleanup i think its going to be a great addition to the loading bench. Ill update further as necessary.

That's cool, I should find some video on one, never seen them work......

loaded a whole 12 rounds this evening..... 2 weekends ago i started shooting some test loads for the .308. 12 rounds in had some issues with the gun and had to cut it short. The auto dispenser is awesome for small batches of different loads. only takes a few seconds to change the charge weight. No fiddling with the scale to reset the weight, then adjusting the powder measure, then throwing the charge, and trickling. 4 button pushes and your next weight is programmed and ready to dispense. and most of the charge is dispensed while youre seating your bullet in the previous charge. may have to wait a few seconds on the scale to finish. but a huge time saver in the long run

Thanks for the review. It sounds good, and very similar to my experience owning a Lyman DPS. I loved laddering loads a few tenths apart, five at a time and then setting the next charge weight. It was a terrific improvement. Unfortunately mine died (the scale quit so it stopped accurately metering) about four years in and I never bought another.

I've wanted one of the automatic powder throws since I first saw one. Problem is having the money available at the right place and the right time.

It's probably what has kept me out of reloading for so long.

It's probably what has kept me out of reloading for so long.
too bad, because its totally unnecessary to have, just nice.

100 bucks for my Lyman and its the fanciest electric scale I ever had, has a hand trickler built in.

before that it was all on an old beam scale ......1000's and 1000's of rounds but I just throw them mostly. Find a load I like , for bulk I just throw them and weigh every 20 or so

if I want to trickle loads I throw loads .5 or so grains short into the pan, put the pan on the scale and trickle in the .5 or so grains, about 10 seconds a load

really shouldn't let not having an auto dispensing scale get in your way for not reloading

Alright, what are you guys using?

Links please.

Quick update, the power sourch for the Hornady is terribly cheap. its like a cord, and you can apparently slide different inverters onto it? maybe like some kind of universal setup or somethin..... Needless to say i was having issures powering up. then it just wouldnt turn on at all. So i hit up ebay, and for 7 bucks shipped to my door i had a one piece unit. Still made in china of course. Dunno if this one will last any longer. Its working though. Other than that no issues.

I hate cheap made stuff.

Glad you got it lined out.

Back