1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Hornady Zombie Max?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by blue, Oct 13, 2011.

1. blue

blue 20g

2. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

I swear if this isn’t just a play on Halloween I am going to sell all my guns....aside from my shotgun, I need that incase I see Bigfoot
  3. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

I find this humorous!!! :lol: You have to worry about the vamps up there too, but Zombies? That rediculous!

Anyhow Blue... Excellent find!!! If its real, I'm buyin a bunch just because one day it will be fun to look back on them and remember all the zombie hype! :D

Oli, lets split a case! But I want .45 and 12 ga. K?
  4. blue

blue 20g

From the pic the bullets look like XTPs with a polymer insert to keep the Hollow Points from getting clogged with clothing, leathery desiccated flesh, etc :mrgreen:
  5. Rossignol

Just found the full vid!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWb-5nblx4[/youtube]
  6. oli700

K

Dude we would slaughter those zombies....shoulder to shoulder, shotguns blazing...lets start with slugs
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OLI wrote: "Dude we would slaughter those zombies....shoulder to shoulder, shotguns blazing...lets start with slugs"
    =======================================

Been wondering how those slugs you made did on the range Oli....!!

Time to "ressurect" that thread... [​IMG]
  8. Rossignol

I checked with my LGS today on a few things, the Guard Dog ammo too... The stuff is available, but it has to be ordered. They didnt readily know about it.

The "Zombie" thing is gimmicky, trendy, and nothin but marketing at best. I'm gonna buy a metric butt load of it! :D
  9. oli700

Some results at the end of this post. viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2154 I LOVE them....I have a thing for slugs...its kind of like having a little artillary.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Cool...Thanks !!
  11. Rossignol

Oli, sorry dude, no slugs...

Hornady Zombie Max Ammunition
    [​IMG]

12. Rossignol

There is almost no info on the site with regard to specifics.

The .45 ACP is a 185 gr bullet with a 900 fps muzzle velocity. The bullet looks like the XTP but has a lower velocity...

The 12 ga. is called "Z-Max" shot and is 00 buck. There is no info on shot wad or muzzle velocity. Nothing to indicate which load if any it is based on.

I cant tell that any of these are repackaged and remarketed loads. It almost appears as if these truly are new loads. Theyre not especially more expensive than anything else.

I fully expected these to be repackaged for the sake of the Zombie trend, which it seems has seen new life in the recent past. The show, The Walking Dead begins again tomorrow night, Sunday on AMC at 9:00 pm eastern. A movie is being made based on the book "World War Z".

Gimmicky it may be, repackaged existing ammo being marketed differently? It doesnt seem so...
  13. oli700

In all seriousness do you think Hornady is going to put serious research and money into a new ammo design ...for a nonexistent target? A little cash toward a cool commercial, new box graphics and get a little profit from the believers and the novelty seekers.
  14. Rossignol

No, I agree. I just havent been able to find the load these are based on, which is weird.

I'm still diggin through google to find what theyre based on...
  15. Rossignol

AHA! I'm on to something!

I found an article which describes the pistol and rifle loads as having a green polymer tip! This would put the handgun ammunition in the "Critical Defense" catagory and the rifle ammunition is a little more vague as there are several bullets with polymer tips, but I'm gonna say from what I can find, it is most like the TAP FPD. The article says the shotgun loads are conventional 00 buck.

The trouble I was having was that at least with the pistol ammo, the muzzle velocities are different. Why, I have no clue. There is a ton of rifle ammo, but once I had the article to go by I was able to narrow down my search through the Hornady site and focus.

Buckshot? Still a little fuzzy there. There is Critical defense 00 with the VersaTite wad, but no way to compare the two.

I cant find ballistics anywhere else on the interwebs and plan to call Hornady just as soon as i'm able.
  16. blue

blue 20g

Look closely at the pics. It seems to look like a critical defense with "zombie green" flex tip insert... Should be a "killer", pun intended, round if that's what it is. Also it seems to be a couple bucks cheaper than critical and only 30 FPS lower. 10% savings is 10% savings. Of course if you shot a mofo with one, you might have 'splainin' to do in the civil suit...
  17. Rossignol

Yep Blue! I think its the Critical Defense too after some more checkin!

I agree, sounds like a good load. I plan to get some, as well as the Critical defense and some other stuff. Have to get my LGS to get some in!
  18. oli700

I’d go insanity, “I seriously thought my wife turned into a zombie….just like on the game” I said. “this guy on a renowned website Mossberg something said they were real and I should stock up on this Hornady zombie ammo…and so we split what he called a metric butt load...he makes dog collars too"
  19. Rossignol

Yeah... let me know how that works out.
  20. Rossignol

I found more stuff on Guns & Ammo's site!

Guns & Ammo Exclusive; An Inside Look at Hornady's Zombie Max Ammo

Its a Q&A without real specifics but at least some telling insights. Oli, I apologize in advance, the rep from Hornady says werewolves and vampires are fictional. He didnt say anything about bigfoot or bigfoot hybrids.

I highlighted the stuff I think provides insight to the loads used. At least in the case of the .45 ACP, it looks like the Critical Defense at a slightly lower velocity, 900 fps. The .308 I compared was the TAP FPD. Velocities are the same. The buckshot, still looking but the rep from Hornady mentions "rapid fire quick recovery rounds" which I feel points to or supports the Crtical Defense with VersaTite.

Still researching... just cuz I love ammunition!!!