• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Houge 12lop stock?

wicat3

.22LR
Hey everyone. I just installed a 12" lop hougue stock off of the recommendations I had read. I installed a Magpul sling attachment at the receiver/buttstock so I had to modify the buttstock to make it fit properly. The issue I find now is that when I put the shotgun to my shoulder my right hand has to be "chicken winged" or completely out to be comfortable. If I attempt to tuck my elbow in my wrist becomes uncomfortable to handle the shotgun. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but this is my HD shotgun and I would like to be able to make frame/self as small as possible. anyone else had an issue like this?

When I shoot my HD gun I stand squarely facing the target. I find it belps a bit with the short LOP stocks. If you do not want your arm sticking out, rotate your arm so your elbow is pointing towards the floor instead of out to the side.

One may argue that standing square to the target makes me a bigger target but it reduces the chance of one shoot taking out both my lungs and heart so there is a tactical basis for it. It also reduces blind spots from the sides a bit.

Is it due to the angle of the actual grip on the stock making it uncomfortable to tuck your elbow in? Possibly that you are more used to a steeper angle similar to a pistol grip as opposed to the sporter grip?

I just put the 12" LOP Hogue stock on my 500 Mariner (model 50273, 18.5" 5+1). Encountered the same issue you did. I measured the original stock vs the Hogue, and found the Hogue is 2.5" shorter. Since your elbow acts like a lever, it has to go out farther to accommodate the shorter LOP dimensions (I know I'm stating the obvious here). I wind up tucking my elbow under my arm, as MikeD suggests.

Back