• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

how are the 88's with the rifled slug barrel?

I can't find any reviews on rifled 88, 12ga.slug gun. I figure they are about like a 500 mossberg? accuracy wise. It's been quite a few years since I've shot those exspensive sabot slugs. I always buy the cheap foster type slugs.
I'm try'n to help out my neighbor on a affordable slug gun for this fall. he has good eyes and can still use iron sights.

He uses a Mossberg 9200 smoothbore now that won't run good. kinda a straight pull manual shotgun 90% of the time. I can't find anything wrong on the 9200's gas system?

thank's

Don't recall any specific reviews around here on Mav 88's with slug barrels, but you're right to assume that reading a review of a similar model 500 would be comparing apples to apples.

As far as the 9200 goes, you might reach out to Havlin Sales and Service. They're THE go-to resource for discontinued Mossberg models...

http://havlinsales.com/

I think there are missing parts on the 9200's gas system. There ain't alot on youtube. Denny just brought over a Winchester 190, 22. It's about the most carboned up thing I've ever seen. Really I've never seen an action that carbon fouled before. Wood and blueing are very nice. Some folk just don't keep after there stuff? He bought it in 1973. 73 was probably the cleanist it's ever been.
I soaked it with Strike Hold and told him to give her a few more squrits here and there. probably strip it down wed.thursday.
the Maverick in a rifled slug barrel and H&R single shot are about the cheapest rifled slug guns I've found. He is a good ole boy, just shy on knowlege taking care of his firearms. he is better off with a pump or single shot.
ain't much in used shotguns here. used to be all kinds this time of year.

It's not a rifled barrel, but my Mav 88 can go toe to toe with my 500, 590, and 590A1. It's tough as nails and hasn't failed me yet. Picked mine up brand new for $199 at Academy Sports. It's hard to beat that kind of quality in a pump gun for that price. Plus, he can always change/swap with a wide range of Mossberg 500 barrels down the road if he chooses...

I can do 4 inches with cheap federal foster slugs at 50 yards off hand with my smooth bores. I'll try and find out more on the 24 in.rifled barrel 88. not much info floating around. I was hoping the open sights are steel, not plastic. they'll probably group those fancy sabot type slugs decent. I'd like to put Denny together a decent 100 yard slug gun. I'm about out of deer meat here. LOL.''

If I buy a new one for him I'll post results. looks like around $260.00.+20.00 transfer. I can drill and tap the 88 reciever on my little bench drill press, machinest vice. He has good eyes for being 54. no reading glasses yet for him.
it seems like an 88 is a better buy than the single shot H&R.Plus I have all kinds of Mossberg 500 and Mav.88 parts around here

I let you know. They are in stock at a few big dealers.

I just bought a used 24" rifled/ported slug barrel. It came with open optic sights. the rear is a plastic top piece. The base is metal Williams.

I called them and you can get a complete metal set for $35.

Don't know where you are located, but Dick's sells them for $219.and cheaper when they have a sale.;)

1481930576399.jpg

I have a 24" fully rifled barrel on my 88(among a few other things). I really like it. I just shoot the cheaper Winchester sabot slugs that I can usually catch on sale for <$10/box. I've killed 8 deer in 2 seasons with this gun since I put the new barrel on and 4 have been heart shots. I'm happy with that but I also refuse to take shots 100+yds. I'm only squeezing if it's a sure stopper. Zero magnification on my red dot and I can ventilate a coffee can free standing all day at 80 yds. I did find that with this particular barrel I couldn't get the Hornady SST or Remington core-lokt ultra to group at all. The faster slugs were all over the place. The slower Winchesters group a ton better for me even though they are just a lead slug in a sabot.

Hey, Man. That looks like a Knoxx drum you've got on your 88. How do you like the setup? I've got my 500 converted for 3-gun competition. It's OK, but one of the drums doesn't always feed the last round.

Hey, Man. That looks like a Knoxx drum you've got on your 88. How do you like the setup? I've got my 500 converted for 3-gun competition. It's OK, but one of the drums doesn't always feed the last round.

It's an Adaptive Tactical Sidewinder Venom drum, they bought Knoxx Industries' patent I believe but it is essentially the same thing. I like it alright. The handiest feature is that I don't have to unload the magazine between hunts with my CCW. I remove the magazine and clear the chamber for safety but unloading and reloading the magazine all day is very time consuming. It's been reliable for me, even in inclement weather. It's too heavy to lug through the woods though even though I've done just that for 3 seasons now. I need to break down and order some 5 rd box magazines for it and just carry a spare of those in my pocket. With the rifled barrel on it there's absolutely zero reason to need 12 slugs in the gun. I did have to modify the magazine to feed sabot slugs though because an unfired 2.75 sabot slug shell is longer than an unfired 2.75 shot shell and lost the ambidextrous functionality by doing so. Now when I modified the magazine I had it apart, man was it messy in there. Definitely take yours apart and clean them out occasionally. I had to dis and reassemble it twice though because the first time I had feeding issues because the spring wasn't wound tight enough. I'm pretty sure I have it together 1/2 turn tighter than factory now with zero feeding issues. There's notches in the housing that a roll pin slips into through the shaft so adjustment is only in 180* increments unless you cut more notches. Wear eye protection when you open it up. Even unloaded that spring coiled up has a lot of power stored in it and it can get away from you in a hurry.

Back