• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How expensive is the hobby?

Fronty Owner

.270 WIN
3 gun.
Im getting to that age where I can afford a hobby. I enjoy shooting, but not a great long range shot (100 yrds is about where I practice).
Outside of purchasing the guns, how expensive of a hobby is it?
How practical is it to reload ammo used in competition?
How does one get started?

So, I cant give you specific costs...

But, reloading shotshells is reasonably inexpensive to get in to and can be easy with something like the LeeLoadAll with savings realized in short order. Probably in the area of $100 start up costs.

Reloading brass can be significantly more expensive to start up and almost scientific. The savings will take a little longer to seee as well I'm told.

Stop by the reloading section under the subforum, "Ammunition".

To get into 3Gun, I recommend joining a club that host matches and observe a few. There are several divisions with every level of experienced participants. The club I'll be joining hosts matches fairly regularly and registration for members isnt expensive at all. My daughter and I will be watching some matches before we get in on any. We're definitely total nOObs to 3Gun! We'll be shooting open irons or heavy irons, (I dont know if that is the same thing or not! lol!) rather than something like "Tac Optics", we dont have the money to get into that stuff, not the optics or the firearms! We'll be shooting a simple and likely used autoloading rifle, like a used AR, a 1911 .45 ACP, and at first my 590A1 20" with Vang Comp barrel.

Later, we'll consider fixin the rifle to what we want, maybe goin to an autoloading shotgun (a 930 if I can get the kind of configuration I want, or an FNH SLP as the model exist in the configuration I want already) and i may even look into an FNH handgun in .45 as they have something like the USP with a 15 round mag capacity.

Hope this helps a fuzz! ;)

practical shooting as hobby? i am an active IPSC shooter, i go
as much as my schedule allows me to. IPSC local matches on
my area are always on the weekends. i know a couple of people
who are into 3 gun. but i personally, am still debating if i should
give it a go.

i cannot say anything (expense wise) about 3 gun, but when it
comes to IPSC...it definitely is not cheap.

the gear alone: holster, belt, magazine pouch and modifications to
your gun's total cost is almost like buying a new inexpensive gun.
and i am only talking about the production class. if you go into modified
or open class. you will spend a lot more just to modify your gun. how much
more? let's just say that having a $3,000-$5,000 open race gun is a normal
set-up on IPSC matches.

a regular match costs $30-$40. ammo of just about 200 rounds will
cost about another $40. plus your food (for when i shoot IPSC it
usually takes 4-6 hours) and gas money. you will end up spending
about $100 on one day. and let's say that you need to get ready for
a major match. that will mean that you have to go every saturday
to practice. you will most likely spend $400 a month, easily!

but again, this is a regular USPSA/IPSC match. if you will do a 3 gun event,
the expense will definitely be different.

so you cant do this with a stock Mossberg 500, Ruger p89 and a mini 14 just for fun ? No clue but when I raced dirtbikes you didnt need the best bike or gear to have fun.

oli700 said:
so you cant do this with a stock Mossberg 500, Ruger p89 and a mini 14 just for fun ? No clue but when I raced dirtbikes you didnt need the best bike or gear to have fun.

You absolutely can! There is a class for that and is what my daughter and I will be gettin into!

The Mini 14 is on my short list, but also lookin at used AR's for capacity. We'll start with a stock 1911, or I may add a couple inexpensive things.

Really, I cant say with any certainty until we see some matches, but there is a class for stock firearms and total nOOb amatures! :lol:

astroboy said:
a regular match costs $30-$40. ammo of just about 200 rounds will
cost about another $40. plus your food (for when i shoot IPSC it
usually takes 4-6 hours) and gas money. you will end up spending
about $100 on one day. and let's say that you need to get ready for
a major match. that will mean that you have to go every saturday
to practice. you will most likely spend $400 a month, easily!
thats kinda what I was look for... amount of ammo required, how much to join the match, etc.

oli700 said:
Actually, I was thinking Maverick 88, Springfield XD, and DPMS AR.

Fronty Owner said:
oli700 said:
Actually, I was thinking Maverick 88, Springfield XD, and DPMS AR.

Here currently;
Mossberg 590A1, Springfield 1911 Loaded, and rifle TBA...

Down the road;
FNH SLP MK1, FNH .45, and rifle TBA... :lol:

The rifle is what I have the hardest time with, I just really dont know which way to go, but I'm thinkin it needs to be something both my daughter and i can use and can be upgraded as needed and as $$$ allow. So thats why I'm thinkin the AR.

As for the cost of things I want;
FNH SLP MK 1, MSRP around $850.
FNH .45, MSRP around $600
Used AR, $700 to $1000

Then theres the ammo, but have been following Oli in the reloading section for shotshells... may not be reasonabble for a target loads. I like the Federal Premium Gold Medal in 7 1/2, and the Winchester AA also in 7 1/2. Typically, these loads run in the area of $12 to $13 per 25, However I'd start buyin in bulk. For practice, theres nothin wrong with the bulk stuff off the shelf which runs around $25 per 100.

The handgun loads, full metal jacket (FMJ) for the .45 ACP run in the area of .50 per round. There can be some savings in bulk, and when I buy 100 rounds at a time, I can generally get away with $35.

Rifle ammo, no clue! And heres the part of the cost I cant help with, I have zero clue how many rounds one may go through in a match and on weekend practices. Geuss it also depends on the level at which you wanna compete, I wanna play for fun and keep it light for me and my daughter! ;)

I imagine 3 gun is more about practicing shooting, reloading while moving, transitioning. If you could use a .22 conversion on your future AR lower you could practice reloading and shooting while moving for pennies.

I think you need to look into reloading .223 and 45acp if you are going to do this. Casting too, at that close of range plinking bullets have to work fine right?

Do they use slugs or ??

There is some slug shooting, depends on the match, and youre right, most is reasonably close range with some 200 yard rifle shots.

As others have said...it is what you put into it...but it does not have to be expensive.

Lessons learned...

Minimum Gear:

Reliable semi-auto pistol in a large caliber... 9mm or better. ( Mine's a .45 )

At least a dozen reliable standard capacity magazines for your pistol choice. ( I wear eight )

Reliable, high capacity pump or semi-auto shotgun in 12 gauge with at least 20" barrel...Improved Cylinder or Modified...( may be threaded for screw-in chokes ), and a tactical sling. ( my preference: Mossberg 590a1 SPX 9 shot with ghost rings )

Extended magazine tube for shotgun and appropriate shotshell carriers... ( can be on gun or body )

Smaller shot sizes in medium loadings ( 6 or 7.5 shot in 3 to 3.25 Dram loadings ) will allow you to shoot faster ( lower recoil ) and with the right choke choice they will work a lot better on steel than the expensive heavy stuff does. Smaller shot sizes also break flying and stationary clay targets more reliably than larger shot sizes do ( more shot = denser pattern = more chance of a pellet strike ).

Reliable semi-auto rifle in 5.56x45mm NATO, 7.62x51mm NATO, or 7.62x39mm M43 caliber. ( I prefer my AR )

A least a dozen or more reliable 30 round magazines for your rifle choice and a good sling. ( I like single point )

A holster and sturdy belt that securely holds firearm, mags, mag pouches and will retain it during vigorous movement. ( I use a double leg drop with mag pouches and wear tac vest with mag pouches...ya can never have enuff !! )

Cases of reliable factory or 'roll yer own' ammo that you have tested in the weapons to be used in competition. ( know it's POA/POI )

Real good tactical boots, knee & elbow pads, BDU's / tactical clothing, head cover, a MOLLE rucksack, a hydration system, foul weather gear options (GoreTex)...etc. ( Most of my gear is milspec surplus...my rucksack has a intregal hydration bladder with bite tube )

Be in good physical shape...know how to shoot from behind cover, running, kneeling, prone...study the rules of engagement...watch and go to matches, talk to people who compete ( usually very glad to be of help ) and by all means...have fun !!

Thanks Shooter for the info!

The part about bein in good physical shape, down there at the end... Yeah, uhh... have you ever seen "Kung Fu Panda" when Po is runnin and pantin and he's like wait, wait a sec... *pant pant breathe* That will be me.

Roger that... !!

It's a 70% physical / mind set endeavor...with the last 30% being familiarity with your equipment and shooting skills.

Confidence in yourself and your weapons wins the day...!!

I'm rather confident in my shooting ability, and I know I can get to the next station, :lol: but we wont be checkin the time to see if we're splitting 1000's of a second!!!

from what Im seeing so far, Im looking at $100/day plus ammo, and I need a whole lot more mags for everything.

Ive shot skeet and while its fun, I always leave with the impression that perfection is quite achievable. Nothing ever changes, except the direction of the wind.

while we're on the subject. is there a better competition to start with? More friendly to n00bs.

Dang! Good lookin out on the links!

I know what youre sayin about things not changing, and I'm lookin forward to the challenge of the run n gun, multiple targets and on the move! My daughter loves this sort of shootin too! We really try to push ourselves on accuracy with small targets, though we havent ever before had a range where we could shoot a rifle which is why we dont have one yet.

And so far the few people I know from the club are good friendly folks!

the ones Ive shot with were friendly enough, but not real helpful other than "you missed behind the bird" when the clay didn't break. Nothing about what I did wrong.

Thanks for the links, I will start reading up. cowboy action is probably out. I dont have any cowboy guns or interest... yet...

Back