• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How good are you with a Pellet Gun?

honkey

.270 WIN
I don't come from a gun family, so I don't really know what is considered good accuracy with a pellet gun. I just went out and shot 5 pellets from a Crossman Pumpmaster from Walmart at 30 yards and had one bulls eye and kept everything in a 2 inch group. Then I backed out to 40 yards and shot 4 times and the group expanded to 2.5 inches (Including the original group) and I took one shot at 50 yards and was way off... I hit low on the target way off to the right. (I was having trouble standing still on an angle because of a hill) Is this pretty average?
photo-6.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Looks good to me….about tin can size. I can’t remember the last time I shot a Crossman pellet gun but they are surprisingly accurate. Good way to practice shooting and fun too.

oli700 said:
Looks good to me….about tin can size. I can’t remember the last time I shot a Crossman pellet gun but they are surprisingly accurate. Good way to practice shooting and fun too.

Since the only rifle/shotgun shooting I ever really did was in Boy Scouts years ago, it always blows me away when I see people saying they get 2 inch groups at 100 yards with a shotgun and slugs. I just bought my first shotgun and I know I will have a lot of practice to do to get that good.

I don't know about anyone else, but I started out with a multi-pump Crossman air rifle. I could (occasionally) pick a bird right out of the sky. Then one day gravity taught me a lesson and I stopped doing that, but many a bunnies have fallen to that air rifle. As for your grouping, seems pretty spot on for those ranges. If you're wanting something with a little more oompf in .177 check out a break barrel air rifle.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I shot a bb or pellet gun. Even though I shot many thousands of copperhead bb's out of my uncle's old Red Ryder and finally figured out I could shoot a cardboard box and reuse some of the bb's instead of mowing so many yards to buy them.

The perfect distance to retrieve almost all of the bb's from the box was from the back steps to the burning barrel beside the outhouse.

That's a true story.

Later pointed pellets out of an aluminum frame and walnut gripped Powerline 717 was what put a smile on my face.

BB's and pellets tought me the basics I needed to know about shooting real guns if you live behind one long enough.

Safety, Breathing techniques, shooting/trigger techniques, bullet drop, wind drift, penetration, holdover, etc etc etc.

Good memories.

That's decent accuracy.

Thanks for the input guys. Good to know I am on the right track with my practice. I was pretty proud of these, so it is good to be told that this is acceptable.
FWIW, I posted this exact topic on huntingNET.com also and I only got one reply in the amount of time I got 4 on this forum. Glad I was directed here!

Pretty good shooting for those ranges...

I probably shoot my pellet gun more than any other gun I own...

I love droppin' squirrels and chipmunks ( pests that chew wood ) in my backyard, where I can't use anything else due to laws and neighbors homes closeby.

My springer ( break barrel ) is a GAMO Whisper in .177 caliber...came with the scope and it has a sound supressor...only thing you hear is the twang and the squirrel hittin the ground...

GAMOWHISPER177.jpg

Right or wrong, everything you learn shooting pellets and BB's will carry over to the real ones.

I was checking these out last time I was at Scheel's. How does it shoot? To bad you can't shoot them in town where I live... :(

I've spent more hours as a kid shooting a pellet gun that I can even imagine now. Many a red squirrel has fallen victim to my daisy 880.

SHOOTER13 said:
Pretty good shooting for those ranges...

I probably shoot my pellet gun more than any other gun I own...

I love droppin' squirrels and chipmunks ( pests that chew wood ) in my backyard, where I can't use anything else due to laws and neighbors homes closeby.

My springer ( break barrel ) is a GAMO Whisper in .177 caliber...came with the scope and it has a sound supressor...only thing you hear is the twang and the squirrel hittin the ground...

GAMOWHISPER177.jpg

my brother has the same one!!...i used my bore sighter to dial it in...very, very nice bb gun.....however to keep the accuracy use the good pellets. i think they are called viper? anyhow...they seat better in the chamber and have less distortion in their molds.

good groups honkey...like these guys said already...it carries over.

Back