• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How hard is it to access mag spring on 500?

CADD, your 500 has the higher capacity magazine tube and an 835/590 type barrel mounting. Nice setup, it is. A better design for sure.

But the majority of 500s over the years have a magazine tube that isn't open at the muzzle end. Thus, it must be unscrewed from the receiver to gain access.

Sheesh...:oops:... color me stupid. Of course now I am going to rant...

Am I missing a joke here? Is this a typographical error?

Easiest way to remove the spring for a 500 is to unscrew the mag tube cap.

Mine just unscrews with my fingers.

Perhaps the company has moved to a different type mag tube on the standard 500?
This is mine, about 18 years old.

6cwI0Pd.jpg

ok,,,,,,@CaddmannQ You have a 500 with the breacher barrel,,,,this model 500 uses the 590 type barrel and mag tube. Nothing to do with the extended 7 shot 500 tube.

@Iver Johnston Mossberg has not changed the mag tubes.

As you know Mossberg can confuse us at times. The" breacher,standoff,door buster" barrel comes both ways as far as the mounting goes,,,,,,590 and 500,,,,,,which means different mag tubes.
barrel 590brchrwb.gif

barrel90018.jpg

Conn, my opinion is it's just done for the average/new owner as a safety thing. It's not necessary once you know about it....but some new guy might not know to check it now and then. You and I know hand tight. The next guy might not. Heck, I once met a guy whose heat shield was loose and sliding back and forth on his barrel. The instructions didn't tell him how tight to get it so he didn't go over tight just in case.

Still mystified why Mossberg felt it necessary to Loctite the tube in the first place. It's captured by the barrel and can't go anywhere anyway.

I'd bet a shinny nickel it has something to do with liability.????

Dam lawyers!:mad:

Still mystified why Mossberg felt it necessary to Loctite the tube in the first place. It's captured by the barrel and can't go anywhere anyway.

Possibly a gradual slippage in tolerance in the machine tools used to cut the threads in the reciever or mag tube, causing tubes to loosen. And Loctite was a cheaper option than scrapping huge numbers of components.

Just my guess.

That was sort of my guess too.
They had a minor tolerance problem in manufacturing, but rather than selectively assemble parts that fit well together they just put a little Loctite on everything.

Back