• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How Hot?

I would think it highly depends on the round count and type of loads you're putting through it in short amounts of time.

But seeing how Mossberg saw fit to use a plastic in that area, I would guess it would be somewhat low.

At least lower than what an AR15 or AK47 handguard is susceptible to.

The AR15 has a metal heat shield to protect the plastic from the heat. I would guess it wouldn't get more than 200 degrees even if you were shooting a lot. If you were concerned with over heating you could drill vents into the hand guard.

Thanks everyone.
My reason for asking, I'm trying to come up with an aluminum pusher. But I am planning on bonding the two rods with RC680 loctite.
Which loses integrity at 400 deg.
I don't know if it is feasible. Getting the weight low enough is an issue. The factory pusher weighs
49.5g. Right now, I'm close to double that. But I can still machine away some excess weight using slots.
Don't know if it will be enough, though.
But, it's a fun little project.

Last edited:
Sounds like a neat project. I can assure you it wouldn't get that hot under normal use, I'd be surprised if it could even get so hot shooting 3" magnums as fast as you could. Considering how over-powered the gas system is (mine throws 2 3/4" shells like 15 feet) will the weight of the pusher really be an issue? I am wondering, though, if/how you'll have to modify the spring for the higher weight.

If I can't get it down to within say 5g of what the factory assembly is, I'll consider it a waste of time.
I don't want to start messing around with making springs.

Last edited:
Almost there. I've gotten the pusher assembly down to 56g so far.
Still think I can get a few more grams out of it. :)

Thanks everyone.
My reason for asking, I'm trying to come up with an aluminum pusher. But I am planning on bonding the two rods with RC680 loctite.
Which loses integrity at 400 deg.
I don't know if it is feasible. Getting the weight low enough is an issue. The factory pusher weighs
49.5g. Right now, I'm close to double that. But I can still machine away some excess weight using slots.
Don't know if it will be enough, though.
But, it's a fun little project.

I did that, too much happening with mass, weight, tolerances, and cost. Too much of a PITA for me and my gunsmith. Temperature depends on the volume and speed at which you're planning to shoot. Three gun, pretty darn hot. Duck hunting, not so much. Turns out, if you install the barrel while paying close attention not to twist the barrel while seating it, the plastic one seems to live about 9,000 to 12,000 rounds. Yes, I shoot a lot, but have passed on the 930 for serious work and moved to Benelli as I grew tired of the trigger assembly breaking, the pusher assembly cracking, the barrel front sight falling off, the shell stop breaking, the magazine tube being scored by the gas system, and the suck ass inconsistency in quality factory replacement parts. With all that said, Mossberg's got a really great customer service guy by the name of Joe. My 930 is now limited to skeet matches and fun time with my sons.

Heh.
This little project is mostly just a "see if I can do it" kind of thing.
By the way, final tally, 53g. Don't think I can get any lower than that. But that's only 3.5g over the plastic factory piece. Bet if I paired it with an OR3GUN Competition MST the total reciprocating weight would be at least equal to the factory setup.

Last edited:
Heh.
This little project is mostly just a "see if I can do it" kind of thing.
By the way, final tally, 53g. Don't think I can get any lower than that. But that's only 3.5g over the plastic factory piece. Bet if I paired it with an OR3GUN Competition MST the total reciprocating weight would be at least equal to the factory setup.

Well done getting it down that far. You would be right at factory weight for the complete assembly, as the Competition MST is 3.5 grams lighter than the OEM spacer tube. We briefly looked at incorporating the pusher into one piece with the spacer, but that took us from being able to use tubing stock to a solid piece of billet. You could buy a lifetime supply of OEM pushers for the price of that one unified part.

-William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Yes. I ordered a MST and received it Saturday.
The total weight of my pusher and the OR3GUN MST is actually 1g less than the factory components.

Watch for wear (Burs) along the aluminum on aluminum contact points between the PA and the spacer.

I shoot 3gun with mine. I don't think you'd have to worry as much about the part getting hot, as much as you'd have to worry about the barrel getting hot. I've done matches were you shoot 22 rounds in 30 seconds. Longer stages were you shoot 40-50 rounds in 1:30 with bird shot, slugs, and buckshot.

I'd be willing to put one through the paces. I already have the OR3GUN parts in my gun.

Back