• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How is everyone surviving the pandemic?

so this sucks. I've been working everyday.......we are trying to figure out how to keep 50 folks ready to initial attack wildfire, get them through fire school at the end of May........fires don't care about our problems. One lighting storm away from 30 fires that don't care , like normal.
The state tapped into us for our IMT'ss that we normally use for giant fires. I am a member of Team 1, Team 2 started it up in the capital, Team 3 is up now and for one more week. My team goes up on the 12th where we will take over for Team 2.......procurement and distributing PPE through Oregon seems to be the main chore working with the National Guard . We were the ones that sent ventilators to NY ......shit like that. So the only part of this that I'm used to is the emergency part but my buddies on Team 2 tell me its easier than a fire and a lot less stress.

so this sucks. I've been working everyday.......we are trying to figure out how to keep 50 folks ready to initial attack wildfire, get them through fire school at the end of May........fires don't care about our problems. One lighting storm away from 30 fires that don't care , like normal.
The state tapped into us for our IMT'ss that we normally use for giant fires. I am a member of Team 1, Team 2 started it up in the capital, Team 3 is up now and for one more week. My team goes up on the 12th where we will take over for Team 2.......procurement and distributing PPE through Oregon seems to be the main chore working with the National Guard . We were the ones that sent ventilators to NY ......shit like that. So the only part of this that I'm used to is the emergency part but my buddies on Team 2 tell me its easier than a fire and a lot less stress.
Guess they’ll be pulling you back when fire season starts? Hopefully your ranks won’t be thinned too much with sickness, I hope your people are getting their share of PPE. All you need is everyone sick and no one left to fight fires.

Besides from the minor inconveniences of stores closing early (I usually work at night), it is business as usual for me. My vendors are open, shippers are shipping, customers are paying, bills are getting paid. I have a shop at my house and a business unit about 10min away. No problems so far going back and forth, county is fairly reasonable about travel. As I weld and use other power tools and machinery, having power is a good thing unlike during hurricanes...

Guess they’ll be pulling you back when fire season starts? Hopefully your ranks won’t be thinned too much with sickness, I hope your people are getting their share of PPE. All you need is everyone sick and no one left to fight fires.
yep , I actually left early. The Division before me was spending a lot of time in places that did not matter and making efforts on things that weren't impactful . I trimmed all that and got down to 3 hours of work a day.........so my Ops Chief absorbed my duties and I went home. Started fire season yesterday.......we are already in drought and we haven't started fire season this early since '68.
The biggest eye opener, my state is way more deficient than I ever thought. We worked with the Oregon Emergency Management and the Oregon Health Authority.......they had nothing to throw at this, so much so they called a bunch of hillbillies out of the woods to organize this and provide leadership.......sad.
I think what saved us from being worse is we realized we were between a rock(Washington) and a hard place(California) and we started early reacting in the public......its been easy actually most of us been social distancing all our lives, Oregon COVID numbers reflect that.
I was in charge of coordinating several functions, one was the military. I worked with a 1 star general on some days. We are expecting the Cascadia event here in Oregon and have been for a while. I asked him what happened to all the PPE we had to have stacked up waiting for the giant earthquake ........he said the state sold it all early on when we didn't have a big problem in the US.......went to Italy for a profit . Then we begged FEMA for replacement.......which we pushed out to counties that were hording........all kinds of disappointing shit.........super sad and I bet most the states are secretly in bad shape like this ........if we ran fires like they run everything else, there wouldn't be a tree left on the landscape .

I stay in whenever possible but my fishing gear is ready to head out. Because my legs and back tire easily I was on my back most of Friday and Saturday after lugging a double load of groceries up the stairs. It takes me about 4 days to get to feeling good again and today i feel about 90%.

Today is cold & rainy so I will be doin whatever i can here in the apartment...probably reloading some 3030. Not much else to do. Maybe I will find some old cartoons to watch. And drink some beer. Reloading can wait. I like beer better than cartoons anyway. You all stay safe.

I agree cmcdonald. That really upsets me too. Here, they're not even allowing funerals (in the traditional sense) because of 10 or more people gathered and all that other silliness. I spoke to a funeral director and he told me that the state would revoke their licenses if they didn't comply.

My Father-in-Law died last Sunday (not COVID related) and his funeral is tomorrow... we were told to limit mourners to 10, if we went over that and police got involved it would be down to us..

I never thought I would see the day the government controlled funerals. Sad state of affairs. On the flip side of that I would not want to be an LEO right now.

I'd hate to be the government play caller.
The question is sort of like, "Do I lock every thing down and have people starve or loosen up and spread more of a lethal virus?"

Where is the in-between solution than will kill people from both of those ends but results in a smaller death toll? :brick:

I'd hate to be the government play caller.
The question is sort of like, "Do I lock every thing down and have people starve or loosen up and spread more of a lethal virus?"

Where is the in-between solution than will kill people from both of those ends but results in a smaller death toll? :brick:

Many slip-n-fall lawyers on both sides are wondering the same thing... :rolleyes: Damned if you did, damned if you didn't...

As a member of the Church of the Immune Herd, I do not believe the "Closing" was the correct move for the US (and other countries). The stress and sedentary related illness/deaths from "sheltering in place" and unemployment are yet to be determined but will far outweigh deaths from CV. You can quote me on this...

This article is a good synopsis by some Alabama doctors. LINK

Work hasn't really changed a whole lot luckily, other than working from home more than I already did. I am very much a home body. BUT, there's a big difference in choosing to go home after work and hang out there, and being told you have to. I live alone, no family nearby at all, and very few close friends as I'm pretty selective in that regard. I'm over all of this crap, and cannot wait for vacation next week.

I am dealing with the crisis by spending my money before inflation hits home.

I bought another project car.
97E5F049-B87C-4FD6-8CDB-09C392D1A1B9.jpeg
I have been binge buying car parts.

I moved around all the vehicles in my junkyard (4) plus all my random parts and junk to make way....
11F48FF9-D130-4DDF-92F9-EB872FE24EBE.jpeg
I took down my emergency awning (which has actually grown since the deluge of 2014) and created space to build a new shed.
2785D17D-BF0F-4AE9-ABD0-C8F22C569387.jpeg

Which happened yesterday. Now I want to pack up the boat and go fishing for a week.
A9F9D6E5-BD3F-46D3-BE42-36603918D82D.jpeg
Instead I am committed to build a dog kennel, awnings, and new doghouses to match the matching sheds.

13F75024-7B1E-4B63-8382-A4F87693EE5C.jpeg It all seems expensive until I realize that I spent less on two sheds and the new pad under them, than my motorcycle. That includes a TIG welder I don’t have yet.

To continue the spending, I will be going to Lowe’s for dog kennel parts, gates, awnings, and other bits soon.

Later to the Lincoln/Victor dealer.

l have an electrician and a roofer on the way next week.

Bleeding cash into the economy, but I haven’t bought any guns, as you can’t get a DROS through.

Yesterday I got a stimulus check and immediately, at 0435, less than 3 minutes after I went online to see who was dinging my phone, and found out the bank sent me a message that "some govt agency" had made a deposit into my account, I ordered a new Taurus model 692 revolver. I posted a picture elsewhere but now i don't remember the forum title...oops.

Today I bled a few hundred dollars into a Chevy garage in town here and got all new brakes on my little red motorized turd, Chevy Aveo5. I got it new in 2008 and it has only 65550 miles. The brakes were noisy when the car was new. I have been noticing cops giving me the stink eye when I drive by with the empty shoes grinding against the rotors, expecting to see sparks from the wheels and red and blue lights in my rearview. Luckily I got to the garage just before the DOT guy drove by.

There's not a lot left of that check, but I do now have gas money to get to Missouri to visit a friend and do some shooting and sell some guns. I have a hard time bending and picking up brass so my 3 semi auto pistols except my 22 Beretta Neos, are for sale. Also a Mossy MVP Bench type, the MMR Black and the 28" barrel from the Maverick. It's time to clear out some floor space. Oh, also a Mosin with 600 rds of ammo. That was a waste of my money.

Attachments

• Taurus 692_3 inch 5_20_20.jpg
    Taurus 692_3 inch 5_20_20.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2
Well Uncle Sam’s sent us $2400 in Gin-u-wine US government paper!

Woohoo!

This means new a dog kennel and new awnings and Fancy new steel gates to replace the corroded chain-link.

I hear also that so many illegal aliens applied for the free stimulus money in the first few hours that it totally crashed the government system.

Anyhow millions of people like me who don’t really need this money will get it and millions of others who aren’t citizens and shouldn’t be getting the money will get it too.

That’s our government in action folks!

BTW I see some jackass burned down a Mississippi church because they were suing the state to be allowed to meet during the virus panic.

I blame the major media for this 100%. Those total uncaring hypocritic godless bastards!
They could quell the flame that's causing this panic, if they wanted to, but instead they fan it for $$$$$.

This makes them evil, you know. Totally evil. IMO Enough people will come to see this before long.

The longer we are into this, the less that I even notice.

There are essentially 3 things that I have gotten my feathers ruffled over.

1. Last night, I went out to get an ice cream from an ice cream stand. The young gent that was standing there taking the orders at the walk up window writes my order down and then asks for my name. I look at him with a puzzled look and asked "why?" The young gent started saying something about tracking covid and I asked him in a hushed voice if someone working there had it in a tone acting like I was not trying to alarm anyone. He said of course not, so I said to him in that case, it doesn't matter what my name is.

He said that he was informed by the health department to ask, so I relented and told him my name was Benjamin. After he wrote that, he asked for my last name and I told him it was Dover.

I guess the young guy caught on that that old joke (Ben Dover) because about half way through writing the last name down on the ticket he said "shit" and stopped writing and just went and got my ice cream cone like he should have done in the first place.

2. About 2 weeks ago, my mother in law called me and asked if I would go pick up her cholesterol medicine from the clinic pharmacy. So, I said sure and when I walked into the double door and entered the building, there was a young nurse and the clinic administrator there in front of me with a line of 2 people in front of me taking their temperature and stuff as they came into the building. So, during all this, I stood in line and waited my turn and when I got up to the desk, I refused to let her take my temp. I told the administrator that I was only there to pick up my MIL prescription when she told me that they had to check for covid before allowing anyone to go inside.

This is where it got real interesting. I told her first off, if someone had covid that everyone that went into the building had the likelihood of contracting the illness because 1. we were already inside the building before being checked and 2. everyone had to pull the door open to get inside. And I said furthermore, if you have had even a rudimentary course in communicable diseases then she should know that by allowing the young nurse or intern to check everyone in front of me while failing to have her sterilize the equipment after rubbing it all over everyones face who had came in all day in front of me who may have possibly had it, that alone makes me refuse to let her rub that sickness all over my face too especially when I am not here for a medical evaluation and only wanted my MIL's med's.

At this point, the people behind me were all like "damn-he's right-they're not wiping it off" and the administrator looked like she filled up her pants in her own excrement and she told me that she would just have the pharmacist bring out the prescription and hand it off to me on the sidewalk.

She knew I was right, and the people standing in line behind me did too so I don't know if they have changed their policy about that by now or not, but just because I might look dumb, doesn't mean I don't have any sense at all.

The other thing I am not abiding by is the directional aisles at the grocery store. Most everyone else isn't either. I'm not walking around the store 4 times trying to get everything on my list.

This stuff is as retarded as you let it be.

The longer this goes on the more I am impacted. My job....my insurance...what next?!?!?!?!

Back