• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How old is too old?

Hey everyone,

I was recently given several boxes of Winchester Super X that dates from the 80's more or less. Would these be safe to shoot? They look perfectly fine, but I figured I would ask before I take them out shooting.

Thanks

I can't see a problem as long as they were kept dry. Look and make sure they are not swelled up.

I still have some remington #5 shot from 1989 and they are fine.

I think you would be fine. I've shot ammo older than that with no issues.

I was also given half a box of .22 from around the same time. The layer of shells on top the lead has turned dark, but those on the bottom look brand new. The darkened ones safe as well?

Thanks again

That's funny,I have a box of old .32's also the same discoloration, but they work.
Just oxidation. :)

I'm almost 100% certain that it's all safe to fire. Ammo can be a century old and still be safe to shoot unless it was horribly stored and then you would see it on the outside. What kind of Super-X is it, centerfire pistol? Centerfire rifle?

A friend passed away a couple of years ago and his wife gave all his guns to his only nephew but she called to me Ex and said she had a bag of shells and wanted to know if I would get rid of them,,, wellll sure,, anyway the bag contained a full box of Peters high brass 4 shot, and as near as I can find was made in the late 50's good tight paper hulls, and the box is a true work of art. Would I shoot them I guess if I had to but I think they looks just great in the gun case.
There was a bunch of what I figure are some of the first Winchester plastic hulls all new in the boxes which have pretty much fallen apart.
And several brown paper Federals with tracer printed on the side of the case, those I cant find any thing on.

Those older ones sound like collectables. In the case is the right place for those. ;)

Willisms said:
Hey everyone,

I was recently given several boxes of Winchester Super X that dates from the 80's more or less. Would these be safe to shoot? They look perfectly fine, but I figured I would ask before I take them out shooting.

Thanks

if they don't go bang, they're too old!

I've fired .38 S&W Ctgs that were loaded with black powder and they fired fine, I'm guessing they were 1920's vintage or earlier? I have fired a lot of 1940s'-1960's era .303" Rifle Ctgs that all fired good. 1980's vintage ammo, I can't see a problem there.
Mark

Good to the last pop, I say! :)

I inherited an M1917 US "Enfield" rifle that was "sporterized" in the 50s by my namesake uncle who died in a car crash back about 1960. Probably hadn't been fired since then. "Our" initials are engraved on the magazine floorplate, probably done by my uncle. :) I also inherited a bunch of 30.06 Korean War surplus ammo in bandoliers and enblocs. A year or two ago I took the gun out and fired about 10 rounds of the surplus out of it. All fired fine and on target and were 56 headstamp with the exception of a 43 headstamp cartridge that snuck in and was the lone dud. Firing 55-year-old ammo out of a 95-year-old gun that probably hadn't been fired in 50 years! :D Good Times! :p

Attachments

• ammo.jpg
    ammo.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 11
  • m1917a.jpg
    m1917a.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 11
  • m1917b.jpg
    m1917b.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 11
Hey everyone,

Thanks

My Mom's Dad, my Grandpa died in 1975 and left me his old pictures and his army issued 45 acp ammo in the issued box. The stuff was pretty well beat up but the ammo had the head stamps from 1907. A shootin buddy who was a marine Armorer said that these rounds were from 1907 and were 103 years old. I had just got a new Blackhawk with a 45 acp cylinder so I figured the ammo would either blow up or not so I fired 3 rounds. Bullseyes at 25 feet. Nuff said?

I can tell you that in the Marines, we shot .50 cal ammo from the 1920's and 30's all the time. As long as it's properly stored. ammo will last a very long time.

Sorry that I am late to the party, but I have fired ammunition that was older than I am.

I've read that as long as ammo is properly stored the powder actually becomes slightly more powerful with age. They said it gets "hot". ..not sure how long that process will last nor if it ever starts to become less powerful.

I wouldn't believe the more powerful thing, that's not happening.
Some ammo used in the military has been sitting around for 50+ years and issued regularly

Back