• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to? Remove mag tube spring retainer

Searched but couldn't find anything on the forum and the manual didn't seem to say how to remove the internal stop at the end of the mag tube?

It is a 930 field / security so it comes limited by 2 shells with the wooden dowell. I got the dowell to come out of the hole but wanted to just give the mag tube a light cleaning and the stop with the tabs seemed pretty tight. Is it threaded, just pop it out, etc? I didn't want to torque on it too hard and bend the tabs that stick up to help lock the external mag tube cap. Any help?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_2i1maNKQ[/youtube]

good evening - is the magazine spring retainer piece the same for both Model 590 amd Model 930? it looks like this piece just gets pried out of the magazine tube, is that correct?

well, i went ahead and pried the magazine spring retainer and magazine cap detent out of my 930 magazine tube. since i replaced the magazine cap assembly with a Nordic Components +2 magazine extension and XL extended cap, i could not see a need for the Mossberg mag spring retainer and mag cap detent, so i left them out of the new magazine extension. the result is an extended magazine that is 1/4" short of the muzzle. not a bad look, but i may find a washer that i can put between the forearm and the magazine nut - if i ever feel the need to fill that gap. i installed the Nordic Components operating handle (it's just a friction fit in the bolt, i guess?) and it sticks out a little longer than i anticipated. i might cut about 1/4" to 3/8" off the length of the round handle.

This is why I love this site...lots of questions asked and answered. This is the same set-up I have now (the 930 HS with just a few mods like the bolt handle, the +2 extension and XL cap), but I wasn't 100% confident on how to remove that mag spring retainer without fouling things up (and Nordic confirmed that putting it back after the +2 installation wasn't necessary). All I need to do now is play with that spring length a bit. Just received the gun this week, so I'm looking forward to breaking it down and getting it cleaned up.

Thanks, guys...sometimes the simple stuff ain't so simple unless you know exactly what you're doing!

Back