• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to remove recoil spring tube?

bani

How does one remove the recoil spring tube?

I removed the magazine tube easily enough using a heatgun, but for the life of me no matter how much I heat the recoil spring tube, it won't budge.

Try heating the receiver not the recoil spring tube. Apply the heat to the threaded bushing area at the rear of the receiver that the recoil tube screws into.

yeah, i heated the receiver on both - not the tube.

the magazine tube only took about 2 minutes of heating the receiver and it came out easily.

i got the receiver smoking hot and the recoil spring tube won't budge. feels like it's welded in or something.

bani,
Looking at the schematic it looks like it’s threaded. I’m not sure why it’s being so stubborn. I remember seeing a YouTube video from a guy putting a tactical stock with pistol grip on his plain Jane 930. He had to remove the recoil tube for some reason and I think the bushing that it threads into in the receiver. I think it was to shorten the LOP. Check it out
Maybe give Mossy customer service a call. Good Luck!
E4315FD9-CA03-4295-A980-E92B378AD85B.jpeg

Recognizing that this is very late & that the OP may have resolved their issue:

The rat tail common to the 930/940, Beretta 1200/1300, etc., is frequently very hard to remove. Loctite Red is generally used, and if it applied to a thoroughly dry, degreased surface, you may have to get it to it's boiling/evaporation point before it will release.

Heat the joint with a propane torch, pointing down the tube, until adhesive is smoking and bubbling out of the seam. Use a 3/16" or 1/8" rod (I don't remember the diameter) run through the return spring retainer pin hole and remove counterclockwise

What Rob said. Heat, heat, heat and be patient. I would use an electric heat gun to avoid flames although a heat gun can still damage plastic and finishes. A #1 or #2 (if it fits) phillips head screwdriver could serve as the "rod" described.

Going to have to try this, I've got a cut up receiver from a parts kit that I'd like to salvage the recoil tube and mag tube from

Interesting. So the 9200 mag tube is the same as the 930 mag tube?
Does the SS make for easier cleaning I assume?
Yes, polishing to 2000grit helps too. This was before they had the NiBo Micukek tubes. I would actually prefer hard chrome to NiBo, but that would mean taking the tubes off again...

Good to know.
Looks like numrich has them in stock. I am tempted to get one, unless the factory mossberg coated ones are available for purchase?
I had thought about polishing mine and sending it off to be coated in a (yet undecided) coating. But was thinking something like nickel boron or something similar. I have NB bolt carrier groups in a couple of my AR15's and love them.

Good to know.
Looks like numrich has them in stock. I am tempted to get one, unless the factory mossberg coated ones are available for purchase?
I had thought about polishing mine and sending it off to be coated in a (yet undecided) coating. But was thinking something like nickel boron or something similar. I have NB bolt carrier groups in a couple of my AR15's and love them.
I will let you know, Numrich can be a gamble, their parts are from de-milled firearms, some cared for, some not. One of my stainless mag tubes was perfect, the other had some rust pitting. Not terrible, but not what I would have hoped for, but for $20? Sure!

You can check with Mossberg & see if they will sell you a JM Pro tube. One of the 3 gun guys, or even the OR3Gun crew might be able to tell you if a 590 tube would fit (I suspect it would). If so, I would get one & send it to be hard chromed. NiBo is slick & cleans well, but HC is harder. On a non-sponsored gun, where someone wasn't buying parts for me, I'd take HC for better longevity.

Back