• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to target practice with a hd shotgun

Yea so I went to my buddys ranch and we had some water jugs set up and with #6-8 bird rounds I put on a show ........but then I switched to xx rifled slugs and pdx1 ammo and I got ragged on because I couldent hit for nothing.......about 2foot groups ....do I need a eotec,xs sights,or more practice ....ps jugs were 20&30 yards away .....we shot at a stump from about 15 yards and I dident miss

Pretty sure it's just practice...if you had aftermarket sights and a good amount of practice, you could need a sight adjustment

Were you shooting with just a bead sight? How often do you shoot at 20-30 yards? Mostly, I suspect it's just a matter of time and rounds down range. Personally, I'd learn to shoot the weapon with the sights it has before I add a new/different sight.

I shoot bead sights almost exclusively. You can check out the link to my YouTube channel in my sig to see some video at all kinds of ranges, and with several different loads, primarily 00 buck 9 pellet both low recoil and full power. We will sometimes use clays for targets, but not at 25 to 30 yards with 00 buck.

If your practicing for HD, I wouldnt think you need to go out that far. Many HD loads or personal defense loads arent designed for much range beyond 15 yards, the pattern opens up too much to be very effective, you loose the density of the pattern for reliable stopping power and with that wide open pattern, its difficult to be clear where the pellets are being placed.

My recommendation is to put up some paper, or piece of cardboard or something about 30" around maybe. It doesnt have to be that big really, but you can divide it up for different ranges if it is. Anyhow, put a bullseye on it, (or two) and set up at about 10 to 15 yards. Put the bead on the bullseye and pay attention to your recoil anticipation and how you flinch, thats all part of it. But fire and see where the pattern goes compared to the bullseye. Your specific gun may fire a little high or low, left or right, it wouldnt be uncommon at all. This will give you an idea of how you need to hold on a target. Try the different rounds you plan to keep for HD.

If you need a load to handle greater ranges, I highly recommend the Federal FliteControl low recoil. Its a rather precise load and i have been able to put it on paper at 50 yards, WITH A BEAD SIGHT! ;)

As for sights, I totally agree with Toby, "Mud". Practice with what you have and get to know your gun first. If down the road you need something else, get it.

Remember, (I've been told something like this before when I asked the same questions! :lol: ) Gadgetry wont make you a better shooter, nor is it a surogate for practice! ;) Keep shootin my friend, it will all fall in place!

+ 1 for the comments above.

With more practice you'll be exploding those water jugs with slugs at any range you desire.

Now that you're shooting better, here's a fun drill for you:

Set up a series of targets. I like to use the photo-realistic targets from LE Targets. I usually set up 3-4 targets. Frequently, I'll mix in hostage situation targets with individual "bad guy" targets.

If you have a buddy with you, bring a stopwatch.

Have the buddy yell, "threat!" Engage each of the targets as quickly as you can in whatever order you prefer. Start with the most threatening and transition to the least threatening, for instance. Have your buddy time you.

Repeat the drill to improve accuracy and time.

The hostage targets are especially challenging. I use Federal LE 00 Buck to keep my patterns tight and predictable. I've been unable to find another round that consistently keeps pellets off of the hostages. I'm usually about 99% with the Federal LE rounds at distances out to about 20 yards.

Mudinyeri said:
The hostage targets are especially challenging. I use Federal LE 00 Buck to keep my patterns tight and predictable. I've been unable to find another round that consistently keeps pellets off of the hostages. I'm usually about 99% with the Federal LE rounds at distances out to about 20 yards.

NICE work!

Rossignol said:
Mudinyeri said:

NICE work!

With as much humility as I can muster ... a few people have watched me run this drill. The effects tend to leave them going, "Holy sh!t!" :lol:

For running 00B, I actually really like the Hornady blue hull custom low recoil shells.

I have gotten some really decent patterning with them.

TAP20yardgroup.jpg

But if you're using a sight or scope or anything besides the bead, to make sure you're zero'd, tape 2 (or even 4) poster boards together and set them at whatever distance you're shooting, and check to see where the slugs are hitting.

If you're using a scope or red dot, adjust as needed.

My group above was at 20 yards, which I feel is pretty good for 00B.

At 7 yards as the target you added indicates (21 feet), what you're seeing is the shot not having enough space/room to seperate from the wadding at that point after it leaves the barrel. The wadding and the shot went through the paper together. 21 feet and 60 feet is a big difference.

I have personally seen wadding go entirely through a piece of sheetrock too. It's impressive when it looks like it's patterning that well, but that's really what's happening.

If you look in the background of the pic below, you'll see what I'm talking about.

shot4wadding.jpg

But just FWIW, I do also use Federal 9 pellet 00B too. But the Blue Hornady feels like shooting a .410 and is a lot softer recoiling than the federal.

Actually, what you're seeing on my target is the beauty of the Federal FliteControl wad. Here are a couple comparison targets at 7 yards from different loads:

EPSON003.jpg

EPSON004.jpg

Here's the Federal FliteControl at 15 yards (the flyer is from another test round fired at a different, bordering target):

EPSON008.jpg

The FliteControl wad gives you a 3" pattern at 15 yards. I have yet to find another commercial load that can duplicate this kind of tightly controlled pattern.

The Hornady Blue Hull looks good, though. I'll have to give it a try.

FC is some crazy stuff. The Honady looks great too really. You shot 3” at 15 and he shot 4” at 20. Thanks for posting the patterns for other loads. If you have any more from farther out I'd love to see them. I have a few done with my VCS barrel and various types and like comparing them...I wonder how far FC is good for through a VCS barrel.

We use the Hornady TAP 8 pellet low recoil too. Its a favorite of my daughters, and its what she uses when she shoots my 12 ga.'s. Its the same wad as the FC, but I believe there is enough difference in powder or something, while its tight, from my guns, its not as tight as the FC and only by a little.

Dan, I'm plannin on doin those FC at 50 again, and maybe even further! I cant upload it because the "board attachment quota has been reached"...

Lets try this;

Federal_LE132.jpg

just to be on paper at all out at 50 yards is is crazy with a cylinder bore

It is crazy cool, maybe not at all practical where a slug would be a better choice, but its still on the papaer! ;)

yeah, no doubt.....although I think a slug is always a better choice when we are talking outside

Sorry, I don't have any pictures farther than 20 yards and have never shot 00B any farther than that in a HD or SD scenario as that is probably as far as I ever would use buck in that manner if I could help it.

I'd be interested in seeing it though to see what I could realistically expect.

This has proven to be a very good topic with lots of good info.

Back