• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to target practice with a hd shotgun

I guess the practical application of knowledge as to how far you can push a load like the Fed LE132 or 33 or even Hornady TAP low recoil is if there is ever a situation requiring a longer shot than typical HD ranges and a slug isnt the next load in the magazine for those who stagger loads or a slug just isnt on hand or in a shell holder, you now have a reasonable expectation of how far the load will perform with acceptable results.

Sorry, I have a mild concussion right now and I hope that makes sense...

I think I've posted it elsewhere on the forum, but I think it can add value to this thread as well. Here's the Federal LE133 at 50 yards out of my Mossberg 930 SPX. Six out of eight pellets on target. :shock:

IMAG0178.jpg

So if the need arose, you could aim center mass and still potentially stop a threat or even buy time for cover/concealement or reload before the gap could be closed.

Rossignol wrote: "Sorry, I have a mild concussion right now and I hope that makes sense... "

Yo buddy...you OK ?!

HARDHATSMILEY-1.jpg

:lol: Shooter, Yeah, I'm ok... a bit of a headache yet. It happened several days ago and the biggest problem has been some short term memory loss including what I'm trying to type. I looose focus in the middle of a thought. Ha!!! and no, we dont wear hard hats in our shop! Oh well, this to shall pass!

Its consecutive concussions that get ya , hopefully you dont get anymore

Hey guys I like to shoot at metal banquet chairs ......and today I tagged one up from my truck it was probly 20 yards out using 00 and that was a rush ... I am a wicked shot ....hope I never have to go "walking tall"

ernestrincon said:
I am a wicked shot ....hope I never have to go "walking tall"

Yeah cuz a 20 yard shot will be difficult with a 2 x 4! :lol:

Ok, just kiddin, it is absolutely a rush! Lots a fun to be had practicin and learning your gun!

Rossignol said:
ernestrincon said:

Ok, just kiddin, it is absolutely a rush! Lots a fun to be had practicin and learning your gun!

Lol I ment that in a going nuts for the comon good of the american people kinda way .....

When target shooting for HD I would first consider the longest and shortest distances you would be engaging your target from within your home. For me this would be the distance across in the smallest room in my house, the longest hallway in my house and finally the distance to the house across the street from me.

With this information I would test multiple types of rounds for each of the 3 distance situations taking note on patterning and penetration. Review you findings and make a selection either for each situation or the best middle ground round that works.

As far as sights. I have found through my experiences in CQC I rarely line up a true sight picture with my shotgun as am able to triangulate to the target rather quickly to center mass(similar to shooting pool?). You will be able to do the same with practice as it comes from repetition that creates muscle memory. For a longer shot like the distance across the street to the neighboring home it is much easier to get a quick true sight picture with just about any sight.

Ultimate it all comes down to practice, in the heat of the moment we will all rely on only what we know.

Boom, sounds like a solid plan! Youre right on the points you make I think!

ernestrincon said:
Rossignol said:
ernestrincon said:

Lol I ment that in a going nuts for the comon good of the american people kinda way .....

:D Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be silly!

I don't have any outdoor ranges by me. The indoor one either do not allow shotguns or they allow slugs only.

I was thinking of getting a skeet & trap model for skeet & trap shooting. Just to clear, not to try to use a 18" tac shotgun at the local gun club... but getting a skeet & trap model for that.

My local gun club now requires a minimum 28" barrel anyways, they got tired of guys showing up with their tac shotguns an blasting away at clay pidgeons and not hitting anything.

Does the trap and skeet practice translate into HD skills?

CountZero, it could. What it does translate to is practicing instinct, how you point at a target with a shotgun, getting on target quickly and pulling the trigger without having to think about it too much.

Shooting and practicing is never goin to hold you back, but can only be helpful! Even if only to familiarize your self with your firearm so you know it inside and out and could clear a jam in your sleep if need be, or as NiteSite says, "like your tongue knows the back of your teeth".

Trap and skeet outdoors isnt quite the same as moving through your house in the dark, but you can do that too with your HD barrel and your gun TOTALLY UNLOADED! You could get snap caps or inert ammo/dummy rounds to practice loading and unloading or even safely dryfire in your home and cycle the action, chambering the next round...

Whatever you do, practice equals muscle memory. Enjoy it however you decide to practice! ;)

The longest sight line inside my house is 50' - the house is not small but rooms and corners break up the sight lines. If someone turns the corner into my bedroom I hope that I've become aware of the situation as they will in the 10-12' range. I practice for both (and in between) with my HD pistols and shotgun. 30 yds is 90' - that's a long distance to rationalize self defense unless your home has that long of a sightline and local and state laws will back you up. In MO I'm lucky with pretty solid castle doctrine in place for house and car. My two bits. :D

I've always felt that one should train the way they wish to fight.

To that end I rarely go to the range and just try to punch holes in the bullseye.

I work on clearing jams, loading efficiently, double taps, multiple targets, shooting while moving, acquiring the target from low ready, etc. The extend of which varies a lot based on the range I'm at. I like to find places to shoot out on state land, etc where range rules don't apply (Safety rules are still in full effect though :-D ).

Back