• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to target practice with a hd shotgun

MikeD said:
I've always felt that one should train the way they wish to fight.

To that end I rarely go to the range and just try to punch holes in the bullseye.

I work on clearing jams, loading efficiently, double taps, multiple targets, shooting while moving, acquiring the target from low ready, etc. The extend of which varies a lot based on the range I'm at. I like to find places to shoot out on state land, etc where range rules don't apply (Safety rules are still in full effect though :-D ).
Sounds like a good regimen. I'm right in the city but finally have a contact with some land where he shoots. We start in a month. I'm doing my first IDPA Saturday. When at an indoor range about the best I can do is use a full size 5 bulls eye target and drill by looking away then picking up a pistol or shotgun from the bench to start a fast double tap on each of the 5 target areas (simulates some target movement) It's not the same as movement but is as good as it gets at an indoor range during operating hours.

mingaa said:
I'm doing my first IDPA Saturday. When at an indoor range about the best I can do is use a full size 5 bulls eye target and drill by looking away then picking up a pistol from the bench to start a fast double tap on each of the 5 target areas (simulates some target movement) It's not the same as movement but is as good as it gets at an indoor range during operating hours.

I like IDPA; I have not shoot an actual match but I shoot the practice leagues (That way I can keep my light mounted and whatever non-IDPA legal equipment I choose). They have some rules that don't exactly mesh with how you should probably do things in a real like situation, but overall it's a good way to practice.

Get to know the people at your local range and they might bend some of the rules for you. I took a few classes at the local range and got to know some of the people there. Depending on how busy they are and who is running the range, I've been alowed to shoot while drawing, etc. activites they usually don't allow.

I even had a chance to shoot one of the guy's full auto MP5. Talking some major fun there.

Back