• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

how would you have handled this situation?

speedyquad

.270 WIN
I am going to start off saying i carry concealed, i have my LTCF and PA is an open carry state. No LTCF is needed to open carry.

driving home after work tonight, i had a vehicle pull out in front of me form one of the side streets. i did have to lock my brakes up. i had my two daughters with me, one is 11 and the other is almost 3. i gave him the horn and he promptly pulled over and rolled down his window as i went past. there was another vehicle behind me. and this "kid", late teens/early 20's. pulle dout behind that vehicle, which turned down another street. it's a little less than a mile from where he pulled over to my driveway. he stayed about a half a block behind me until i pulled into my driveway. yes, i considered making a few turns in between, but the side streets are not busy...every. i pulled into my driveway and he almost rear ended me. then he backed up and pulled into my driveway. i told the kids to stay in the car. i stepped out of the vehicle, with my the firearm visible on my hip. it was still holstered and snapped in the holster. the guy quickly left.

other than making a few "wrong" turns so he did not know where i live, what would you have done?

Do you normaly open carry or did you make an effort to display your sidearm?

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I think you handled it well and I like to think I would have done likewise.

In retrospect, if I had the presence of mind to do so, I would have my oldest call the police on the cell and give them the liscense plate just in case he continued to threaten.

Sounds well handled BUT - I would have tried to get his license plate from the minute he started following me AND I would have made a 911 call as soon as he departed. Note and write down descriptions of BG and vehicle ASAP for clarity.

He could have gone around the corner and called 911 making all sorts of claims that would most likely have crumbled but having to explain the event after first being accused of being a brandishing maniac is a good reason to get the call in as the first or only.

He trespassed and (low level or no) made threats.

I would have kept driving and called 911 explaining the situation and that I had kids in the car

Even after the fact call as you could be charged with brandishing depending on which side of story they believe

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I agree with what you did. I do think it would have been nice to get the plate number, but having been in similar situations I know you weren't thinking of that. I do think I would have called 911 after he left.

my oldest did have cell phone on the ready...911 was dialed and all she had to do was press send...i did run to the end of the driveway, but there is a bend shortly after and he was well beyond that.

no i do not normally open carry, my sweatshirt usually covers it. it just happened to be conveniently tucked behind. i can't guarantee he even saw it.

I don't see a problem with your actions. Some young people today, haven't figured out that their brains can actually work any time they need it.

It's okay. You were pissed, and had your kids with you. You wanted it to be known that you were not defenseless and wanted to give a reality check to the bastard. Cheers sir.

Yikes! I'd have had 11 year old call 911 and describe the situation. i would have begun driving towards the closest Police station and not turned into my house. That way, BG doesn't know where I live. Sounds like it turned out OK so you did good!

Ditto on the kids calling 911 immediately. But one thing I may have done differently is I would have drawn my weapon and been ready before moving toward the car. Here's my thoughts...he's the aggressor, he's on your property and you have your children with you and you do not know his intentions. You were not in the wrong. You would have been prepared if it was someone looking to take his agression out on you. Brandishing on the street is one thing, DEFENDING yourself on your property is another. Calling the PD after he left and giving a description of the vehicle (even if you don't have the license plate) may have had them run more patrols around your block.

I have to agree with most of the above statements that were stated. I would have called 911 as soon as the situation aroused, took a few wrong turns and advised PD my exact location and what I was doing.

I'm just glad that the situation did not turn out for the worse!

Good job though of everything that you did do!!!

I think you did good, would've had one hand near my pistol and the other on my cell taking a pick of the front of his car. Freakin idiots out there.

Back