• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunter shoots pickup truck after mistaking it for a deer

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
<FACEPALM>

People constantly amaze me, and not always in a good way.

I really have nothing more to say about this one.

LINK: http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...k-after-mistaking-it-for-deer-police-say.html

An Ohio hunter was charged on Friday after he fired at a brown pickup truck when he thought it was a deer in western New York — the second hunting incident in the area within a week, authorities said.

Marvin C. Miller, 26, of Middlefield, was hunting near Snake Forest Road in North Harmony around 11:20 a.m. when he thought he spotted a deer, but it turned out to be a brown pickup truck, Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. He fired his 7-mm. high-powered scoped rifle at the truck, striking the front fender of the driver’s side. Sheriff Joe Gerace told The Post-Journal Miller was “absolutely irresponsible.”

“Firing this weapon at first blush with no target, it’s absolutely irresponsible,” Gerace said. “It’s very concerning. We should be able to get through a hunting season without tragedy. This kind of thing just shouldn’t happen.”

Maybe the truck owner should have painted the word COW on the door in large white spray painted letters.

Maybe the truck owner should have painted the word COW on the door in large white spray painted letters.
All joking aside, I took two of my 4 girls for a ride on the four wheeler the other day, we had been working outside with it, and they were helping. So after unhooking the trailer I told both of an to get on, an decided to take a lap around the neighboring corn field, that had been cut. As I got toward the back of it along a small woods owned by a church in the nearby town, I remembered seeing treestands and trail cams in previous years. So I started scanning the trees, and stories similar to these started coming to me, I didn't see anyone, or any stands, needless to say I didn't dilly dally either.

I recall a report several years ago where a farmer did this to his cows and some a-hole shot one in the center of the "O"

That was no accident.

Where I hunt I cross another property to get to my blind. The guy that hunts this particular farm said the shot at a shadow the other night. He said "No-one else has permission to hunt so it had to be a deer or a turkey." Turkey season ended the day before gun season started.

I have to walk past this blind going to and from mine. The guy scares the hell out of me. I've had to walk out a couples times without a flashlight because mine died or I forgot it. Fortunately I've yet to hear of him hitting anything he shoots at, which is a lot over the course of a season. Fortunately he only hunts the firearms season, which leaves 2 monts of archery free and clear.

When I am hunting the same days he does I make sure I am out before him and out after he leaves. This particular property owner, the hunters uncle, does not allow hunting on his property on Sunday so I prefer to hunt those days (he allows me to pass through as long as I dont hunt on his property).

If I get there late and his car is already there I hunt elsewhere.

He has been "talked to" many times but he is just an a-hole and feels the rules dont apply to him.

I was also talking to someone at work today who was recounting her hunting trip from the weekend and she was telling me how she had some deer come in at quarter to 6 but it was getting to dark so she passed. Now she regrets not taking the shot.

When I pointed out that legal shooting hours ended at 5:33 on the day in question she seemed surprised and said she didn't know there were set hours. There is a chart that makes up an entire page of the hunting and trapping guide and she just took the hunters safety course a year ago.

There are too many people out there hunting who are a great danger to others either by their ignorance, stupidity or blatent disregard for the rules.

I always carry a sidearm while hunting with gun or bow. I always try to be very aware of my surroundings and always use a flashlight when moving around after dark (except for the rare occasion that it dies and I dont have backup batteries).

You cannot be too carefull out there, esp. during the firearm deer seasons.

When I was a kid, we could go out into the desert and hunt, and there was no game warden, no one to bother, and basically just no other human beings. Game was scarce, but there were no rules, no paper, no hours, no competition, no orange clothing, and not a whole lot to worry about except for rattlesnakes.

It was wide open, and if there was a pickup truck or a human being around you would see it and hear it for miles.

Shooting a rattlesnake was a day of Glory for me! Everybody hated the rattlesnakes, and we found cast off rattles & skins all the time.

But here where I live, there are so many rules that would make hunting into a business instead of a pleasure.

God I feel like such a Luddite when I read that. Why can't I get with the modern world, take the test, fill out the papers, buy the orange clothing, pay for a tag, fill up the truck and drag my ass across the hundred miles of hills and mountains between here and the deer?

It's just not going to happen. The state has ruined the whole activity in my eyes.

If I ever go hunting again, I will be probably hiring a guide to take me around Washington or Montana or Idaho. I would certainly enjoy that. But, any Taxidermy is right out.

If I bring home a big trophy my wife will never let me put it up over the fireplace.

But here where I live, there are so many rules that would make hunting into a business instead of a pleasure.

God I feel like such a Luddite when I read that. Why can't I get with the modern world, take the test, fill out the papers, buy the orange clothing, pay for a tag, fill up the truck and drag my ass across the hundred miles of hills and mountains between here and the deer?

It's just not going to happen. The state has ruined the whole activity in my eyes.

They won.

Exactly what they are doing with your gun laws.

Please don't think I'm being cruel with my comments. I'm sincerely saddened to read what you wrote.

Well John I'm sorry to see this kind of stuff everywhere. I'll bet the days of affordable Deer tags are long in the past, even where you live. Heck we pay $47 for a bare fishing tag.

They've taken the romance out of it. They've made it economically unattractive and socially objectionable.

But it's not just the state. Age is winning too. I can't go up and down the hills all day on a peanut butter sandwich and a jug of Kool-Aid.

I still think I can but after about an hour my knees prove me wrong.

I looked at my license and it was actually $47.01

I have no idea what the extra $0.01 is for.

It's like a slap in the face.

"We can charge you $47 plus we're going to stick you for an extra Penny just because we want to add insult to injury."

That's actually $10 more than my boat registration costs, including the new mussel abatement fee.

Back