1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

I Added a New Skinner Lo-Pro Peep Sight to My Mossy

Discussion in 'Mossberg 464 Lever Action' started by COSteve, Oct 17, 2020.

1. COSteve

COSteve .22LR

I recently added a bolt top peep sight to my Rossi .357mag carbine and really like the increased DoF and clear sight picture the .040" aperture provides.

[​IMG]

So, I decided to add a similar version from Skinner to my Mossy 464 carbine so I ordered one from them earlier this week. It came in the mail today and in just a few minutes the job was done.

[​IMG]

It increases the sight radius almost 40% from 16" to 22", the same as my Rossi carbine. I also added a .040" aperture like my Rossi to take advantage of the DoF increase. Magically, like my Rossi, the fuzz that had grown on the front sight the last few decades are gone now.

[​IMG]

I also got a .070" aperture as well so I have 3 different ones (including the .096" one it comes with) for it. I'm going to the range tomorrow to give it a run along with my Rossi and expect that 200 yd targets will now be in mortal jeopardy as they are with my other leverguns with target apertures on them.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. hombre243

hombre243 .30-06 Elite Member

I have one of those on my 464 but havent had the rifle out to shoot it since I installed it. I may just reinstall the scope i had on it. I was asked how much i wanted for my scope and almost sold it but the guy reneged and now the scope is on the shelf, the mounts and rings somewhere else and the Skinner is on the rifle. It will do until I decide for sure what I want to do. But i would rather have something I could snuggle down to. Eye relief is a stretch for me and I cant see much in the sight.
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  3. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .30-06 Supporter

That Rossi is a fine looking lead slinger!
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

Been giving long hard thought to putting one on my .44 Mag lever gun.
    meanstreak likes this.
  5. COSteve

COSteve .22LR

I can tell you, if you need some help seeing the front sight and target more clearly, then get one with the .040" target aperture. You'll be amazed at the difference.

BTW, my Mossy was great at the range yesterday. The sight and target are now 'fuzz free' and shooting even out at 200 yds is a ton of fun again. I couldn't be happier with the results.
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  6. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Always like to hear happy results.
  7. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

My .22 mag came with the Skinner, but I had no idea there were different apertures available. No idea what mine is either.
  8. COSteve

COSteve .22LR

Check out this Skinner page on the different apertures available. You may be able to tell which one you have as it's likely the standard .096" one that the Lo-Pro comes with. Skinner Lo-Pro Apertures HERE.
    meanstreak and CaddmannQ like this.
  9. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Thank you Steve.

I was going to measure, but I have an overburden of rifles nested closely in my little safe, and it's too deep to dig for until range day.
    meanstreak likes this.