• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I bought one............

quiet22

After much research.....and reading about every review on every web sight for all rifles.......I bought a Mossberg Patriot.....308 youth/syn.

I wanted a light/short/inexpensive/accurate hunting rifle for mountain hiking. I already have levers that were limited to 200 yds. (30-30 and 45-70)
I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 AO with heavy 6 screw rings on....total weight with magazine and scope and rings came to = 7.25 lbs.

No range time yet.....bought some GMX Hornady 150 and 165....Calif no lead and Fed copper

I like what I see.........if I was to complain for the $258 dollars it cost me from Buds and the $119 I spent on the $299 AO scope.....it would be that the cocking handle is a little loosie-goosie when fully extended and you have to be purposeful and careful when inserting the magazine waiting for that 'click'. Trigger is excellent.

I am otherwise very pleased.

Last edited:
Nice. Look forward to hearing your range report.

I don't own a Patriot, but I bought that same scope recently and it's a real beauty. Clear glass and smooth adjustments.
I let my wife try it out on her Ruger, and now she doesn't want to give it up.

Well, maybe now I have an excuse to own a Swarovski. LOL

I don't own a Patriot, but I bought that same scope recently and it's a real beauty. Clear glass and smooth adjustments.
I let my wife try it out on her Ruger, and now she doesn't want to give it up.

Well, maybe now I have an excuse to own a Swarovski. LOL

I believe that scope was mistakenly priced....and was only up for sale at that price at Cabelas for a few hours

Yeah you lucked out. I paid over $300 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I prefer the Vortex DB HP 2-8 I have on my 45-70 for 2 reasons.......better glass which is noticeable and much better ER. But at the price I got the AO model.....and it's 4-12 for longer distance on my 308.....no complaints.

IMG_0477.JPG The vortex scopes are one of the best things going right now a real value I have the crossfire ll 2-7x32 on a Patriot in .375 Ruger would have liked to have one of the better models but funds did not allow. Reason I chose this model is that it has 4" eye relief the bad news was this scope has a short tube and almost didn't fit between mounts I had to mill .05 off mounts to give it clearance. It has no room for adjustments but is perfect for me. I got lucky. After about 100 rounds still holding zero.
Shawn

When I started looking for the 375 I was looking to get mat blue after looking for six+ months I found the marinecote and took it. Marinecote makes action a little gritty feeling for a while but a little oil and working it smoothed it out nicely. Also was going to put a Boyd's stock on it but it shoots to well to mess with it. And the look grows on you.

This was the Vortex I bought. couldn't recall the actual number .

20161111_061435.jpg

I spent some time polishing marinecote out of the action on my Mossberg . 30-30 with Scotchbrite and oil. Inside the receiver it seemed too thick in places, from the factory.

Here it is on the Ruger.
20160524_081553.jpg

Back