1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

I have this old gun...

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by John A., Jan 14, 2019.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Alright guys, just wanted to let everyone know that I got the other extractor and fitted it to the bolt and took it out for a few shots.

Worked really great.

It likes the smooth sided Remington STS shells better than the ridged exterior federals, which doesn't really surprise me too much, but I can live with that. It worked really good with either shell.

I didn't even shoot for patterns today. Today, I was just concentrating on function.

In fairness, it's not really an improvement to a single shot because after you pull the trigger, you still have to take if off your shoulder to cycle another shell and isn't really any quicker than loading and re-shouldering a single shot, but I still see myself hunting with it this fall and am really looking forward to it.

Next time I take it out, is going to be for patterns at various distances and with different size shot to see what it likes.

2. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

@John A. if,ya can find some try a couple slugs might be decent 30 yards
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. John A.

I checked the choke with a set of calipers before I did any work to the barrel, and I think it's a bit tight for a slug.

The barrel is marked as a FULL choke, but when I put a set of calipers on it, was .688, which is somewhere between an extra full and an XXfull Turkey choke.

I'm a bit hesitant to shoot anything besides birdshot out of it to be honest. The end of the barrel is also pretty thin. When I rethreaded it for the new bead, only caught about 3 threads of a 6-48 pitch.

Though, I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of different loads in it through and patterning it to see what it likes and to see where the POA/POI is at.
    meanstreak and tcecil88 like this.
  4. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

That's tight, I'm thinking aiming at bushytails thru the trees perfect:sniper:
    meanstreak and John A. like this.
  5. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

I agree with you John, no slugs. I also pity any squirrel that sits long enough for you to get the gun up on him. It patterns great.
    John A. likes this.
  6. John A.

Yeah, I think I'll be able to experiment enough with it before August to see what it likes.

I'm happy to see it going again. Considering the condition of it when I first laid hands on it, my gut instinct was that it was probably never going to see another shell fired through it.

So, it was gratifying to see it bark a few times today.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

What a transformation that has been. Well done John, well done.
  8. John A.

Thanks.

Least now it isn't laying in a broken heap. Though I'd like to get a better stock for it. I don't pretend to know how long the wood glue is going to hold it together.

It wouldn't bother me so bad if it was just a hairline crack, but this crack went through and through from the front end of it all the way back to behind the trigger at the grip. I don't trust it.
    meanstreak likes this.
  9. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Is there enough room to drill it span-wise and glue wooden dowels in the holes? My Dad has done similar repairs with good results. He the fills the holes with wood putty or sands the dowels to match the contour of the wood.
    meanstreak likes this.
  10. John A.

The wood is pretty thin in the area where it cracked. I don't think there is enough room to drill out and put dowels in it. If it is, the dowels would have to be really tiny.

Like 3/32 tiny maybe ??
    meanstreak likes this.
  11. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

So, maybe another Father & son project? Find a nice bit of wood and carve a new one.

OK, I haven't started mine, because I am still "seasoning the wood".

;)

Plus I'm getting lazier in my old age. :oops2:
    meanstreak likes this.
  12. John A.

I would be more inclined to start a butt stock project if I had a belt sander. I really should get one, but too many other projects on the table.
    meanstreak likes this.
  13. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

At that small maybe cut off some cheap drill bits and epoxy them in. The spiral of the drill bit can act kinda like an anchor maybe?
    meanstreak likes this.
  14. John A.

That isn't a bad idea.

Thanks !!!
    meanstreak likes this.