• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I just can't leave well enough alone

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Yep. It's true. I can't leave nothing I like alone.

I've been accused of that about a million times.

And I've not only accepted it, I embrace that fact.

In this case, I have done a bunch of little things to my CZ75 clone because while it's a good gun, I have had a few things I didn't like about it.

One of the bigger dislikes was the guide rod.

The Canik S120 has one of the original CZ75 guide rods. It's not even a full size guide rod that protrudes through the front of the slide. It's like half of a normal length guide rod.

So, I mailed the slide to one of my friends in Virginia and he drilled the front of the slide for me so I can use a more modern, full size guide rod.

He even gave me one of the polymer Shadow SPO1 guide rods for it. It's OK, but at the end of the day, it's a polymer guide rod. And not even a very good polymer at that. A 2 year old could bend it around if they wanted to.

So, I look around in my shop at the various metals that I have laying around, and I decided that I wanted to use some C655 and turn it down and make one for it from a strong and corrosion resistant metal.

I know that most gun guys will be scratching their head asking what the heck is C655?

Well, it's bronze.

It's got about the same yield strength as steel (55,000 psi), but a lot more corrosion resistant than steel so I don't have to oil it all the time to keep it from rusting. And for the history buffs among us, it's not uncommon at all to find bronze items at 3000 year old archeology sights and shipwrecks that looks almost like they did when they were made eons ago.

So, I think it'll serve its' purpose for a guide rod. And at the time being, is a nice dark goldish color that I think looks pretty good on the end of the slide. As time goes on, it will naturally tarnish and become a dark brown color.

Now, I think I have addressed the last of my "fix" list for this gun. It turned out good, but took quite a while to make on my little machine.

S120  c655 005.JPG

Will stock cz75 grips fit on that thing?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Though awesome isn't a word I hear often.

I think the word "crazy" is used a lot more

At least from some of the little voices. :crazy:

Yes Rip, regular cz75 grips fit it.

But what got me started down this little rabbit hole with the CZ75, was my favorite 45.

A while back, I wanted to use an 18# 1911 flat coil spring on it, but the spring wouldn't fit because the rod was just a little larger diameter than the spring.

So, I made a new guide rod for it so I can use 1911 springs in it.

k245 004.JPG

Really nice. But dang you now ive studied up on the s102 nice all steel cz parts fit whats not to like. Really fair price too.

I don't think the slide or barrel is interchangeable because the cz actual, has a small nub on the top/back of the barrel to help ensure the slide/barrel is perfectly aligned when it's closed.

The Canik doesn't have the little nub.

Though most all of the other parts do work.

Including sights, magazines, grips, hammers, etc.

I think I got mine for $289 or maybe $299.

Really good price for it.

Was shooting it some this evening matter of fact.

It's more accurate than my Beretta Centurion. That's for sure.

I been trolling the cz forum getting educated. Its a platform ive never owned. Always been a hi power addict the cz while quite different seems to share a naturally comfortable pointability and is probably easy to learn to shoot well.
You keep up the good work.

A lot of good guys on czforum.

I have several friends on that forum.

Thank you.

I was able to take them out and shoot both of them yesterday.

They worked really well.

I don't think the slide or barrel is interchangeable because the cz actual, has a small nub on the top/back of the barrel to help ensure the slide/barrel is perfectly aligned when it's closed.

The Canik doesn't have the little nub.

Though most all of the other parts do work.

Including sights, magazines, grips, hammers, etc.

I think I got mine for $289 or maybe $299.

Really good price for it.

Was shooting it some this evening matter of fact.

It's more accurate than my Beretta Centurion. That's for sure.
Quick question John i cant tell from pics. What sights are on your s120 ? Im satisfied ive done my due diligence and researched this pistol to death. Prices have gone up on these but still very attractive price and seem to be rising. I have one sitting in cart on Buds im fixing to push the go button today. Its intended purpose for me is a range beast that can take the round count long term and be above average accuracy wise so im sure sights will get changed.

Back