• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I must be married cause I am always getting chewed on

Congratulations on your reprieve from the Grim Reaper, brother.

Eventually we may get to have some friendly .30-30 competition once I figure out how to make the cartridges right.

I jumped the gun, oops, on the sight situation for the 464. I figured if the dog won't hunt, I was gonna strip it of the money I had in a scope and rings. I bought a Skinner pep and set the scope and rings aside. Then I found the pics of the bullseyes and the load data...now I am stuck with memories...

O well, a few rounds of competition may spark my interest in target shooting. What do ya need to know about the cartridges? Anything I can help with? My best loads were factory, and my homemade loads that were really good were loaded with IMR 4198 and H4895. The 170 gr didn't even place, so I have no pics. I used Hornady flat point 150's with the H4895, and some Xtreme 150 plated with the IMR4198. Always full length resize and check OAL with a Wilson Headspace gauge. Here also is a forum address where the discussion is about the 3030. I did not realize we have such a tough cartridge to load for.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/588354/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gauge

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/30-30-headspace.461888/

I just couldn't get the overall length and a good crimp to come together at the same time.

I think the key here is I have to cut the cases a little bit shorter. I've been cutting the minimum off to bring them into spec but that's wrong.

I should be shaving them down to the minimum spec before I load and crimp.

Or vice versa! It's been two years since I tried to load one so I'm not sure anymore.

I peeked in my ammunition safe and I have ammunition in process, but I never got to finish it. I left myself some notes but I may be doing things over from scratch just to be sure.

I have a calipers and a gauge and a dial indicator so I'm pretty much set for what I need to do.

I just couldn't get the overall length and a good crimp to come together at the same time.

I think the key here is I have to cut the cases a little bit shorter. I've been cutting the minimum off to bring them into spec but that's wrong.

I should be shaving them down to the minimum spec before I load and crimp.

Or vice versa! It's been two years since I tried to load one so I'm not sure anymore.

I peeked in my ammunition safe and I have ammunition in process, but I never got to finish it. I left myself some notes but I may be doing things over from scratch just to be sure.

I have a calipers and a gauge and a dial indicator so I'm pretty much set for what I need to do.

Been a while since I loaded anything. But, If I am remembering right, Lee dies are setup so that when the casemouth touches the crimping die it will crimp in the right place. If the die is adjusted lower it produces a tighter crimp in the correct place, according to where the crimper is according to the case mouth. Doesn't matter if the case is longer or shorter as long as it is within spec, but they should all be uniform in length. I will look that up. Do you have a Lee factory Crimp die?

Attachments

• Lee factory Crimp Die.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 1

Eventually we may get to have some friendly .30-30 competition once I figure out how to make the cartridges right.

Cadd, It took me a while to find this picture. It shows how long I have loved guns. I had this in mind for a new avatar but it was buried knee deep in folders and files. I think I will keep it. Me...in 1955. I was 4.
Red Ryder.jpg

Welcome home hombre243! We are glad to have you back. M.O. is still a kick butt group.

Cadd, my 464 seems to like the factory rounds I bought. Federals. But I seemed to have good luck with some handloads also. Here are 3 of my targets with the load data/ There are holes all over. Some patched. The targets were the sight in targets from previous trips to the range but all groups are honest.

50 yard sight in_4_10_16 3030_150 gr Fed Factory Flat Nose_copy.jpg 50 Yd_5 Shot 3030 125 Gr  Sierra FNHP 25.5 gr IMR 4198_copy.jpg 150 gr Xtreme_23.6 H4895.JPG

Back