• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need advice: 590A1 Safety is very hard to actuate

Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion. I guess it was just how it came across.

Personally, myself, and having shot a lot at night and in darkness, I can honestly say that trying to shoot with irons in the dark is a lot more difficult than many people think.

True, there are electronic sights, tritium vials, and glow in the dark paint and other things that help you acquire a target, but none of those methods do anything to help you identify that target.

So, that is just my reason for requiring all of my HD guns be equipped with a light.

And even then, there is a lot of times when I wouldn't use it. That would be a "tactical" mistake to use it all the time.

With battery powered nite lights at both ends of the hall, and my bedroom dark, anyone coming to the doorway will be back lit.
I agree, even with my tritium blade up front, shooting in a completely blacked out scenario is almost impossible, but the bad guy would have the same limitation.

know your target and what's beyond it.

Difficult at 3am wiping the sleep from your eyes and trying to identify the shadows.

I've taken an 8 hour course in shooting at night with my pistol. Light discipline and knowing when to use it is as important as having it with you.

If you use your light improperly you will give away your location and become the target. If you use it correctly you can disorient and blind the invader.

I'm not interested in creating a level playing field for an intruder. I want him as handicapped as possible.

If I hit the switch on my 800 lumen weapon light, he will have no choice but to close his eyes and/or turn away. In the meantime, I can see him clearly. That split second advantage can make the difference between winning and losing.

Ok, at 3:00 A.M., can someone enter your home without you knowing?

They certainly can’t get into mine.

And I’m talking about a silhouette, not a shadow.

This is our homes we’re discussing, not an unknown environment. It should be set up to back light intruders and leave you in shadow or darkness.

As to the courses, I’ve taken several and find them not only quality training, but also a great way to exchange ideas. The light accessory question almost always comes up, (even if the course wasn’t night training). In the discussions, I can almost always get the instructors to admit that in a prepared position, such as a bedroom in your home, they would never use a light.

Weird. People break into homes all the time. Some never known they were there until they were beaten , raped and or robbed. Happened in a spree in the county I live in. Good neighborhoods too

Would it be tough to get into mine yup.

But when I lived in my home growing up I had an up stairs bedroom my sister and mother's bedroom were on the ground floor.

I wouldn't have the luxury of staying in my room with the tactical advantage. Unless I'd like to hear the screams of my mother and sibling.

I have kids now. Their bedrooms are across the hall. Again I don't have the luxury of sitting in my bedroom with a gun to the door.

I have to engage in an area to defend my kids and my wife. Means I HAVE to leave my bedroom and see if my kids are ok and try and consolidate my family.

Lord have mercy on my soul if I shot my kids without identifying them with a light. Especially if they were doing a Dumass thing like sneaking in or out of the house.

I have both a tritium front bead and a light.

Like WaterMonkey, I'd be leaving the safety of my bedroom and in fact had occasion and reason to once. Turned out to be one of my sons friends messing with us.

Not everyone sets their house up with ambient night lighting. For those of us who don't, we have lights.

Everyone has a different situation. That's why I said a prepared position such as my bedroom. Yours would obviously need to be different. As to my kids, from the time they were 13, they had firearms in their rooms and trained to stay there and defend themselves. They're grown and gone now.

I just feel that flashing a light falls into the same category as racking the slide or firing a warning shot/less than lethal round.
Not something I would do.

I see many of your points.

But while it's good to prepare as much as you can, you can never be fully prepared for everything.

And what may work for one, may not work for all conditions.

I think we all can agree on that.

While backlighting certain areas (especially problem areas or "weak" area's) can be good, it can also be bad can be used against you as easily as it does for you.

I'm not meaning to come across as condescending, but if something goes bump, I'm not going to certainly hunker down in one position. While that is probably the better way to do in many circumstances, my property and area doesn't stop at my bedroom hallway. At a particular bathroom.

I could have to leave the relative safety of inside of my home altogether and have to check vehicles, boat, storage buildings, livestock, secluded cabin, family graveyard from druggies, vandals, thieves, coyotes or whatever.

A light isn't optional equipment for me.

Here's something else to consider.

Just because you have a light on your weapon does not mean you have to use it. It's all about options.

A person may think they know what he will need, but the truth is that you don't know until you're in the situation.

Waiting until you discover you need it is poor planning. As I've pounded into my kids and grandkids, "It's better to have and not need than to need and not have."

OP, I agree that the safety for the 590a1 is hard to activate, though not impossible you just need to be deliberate about it. I would also suggest putting some lubrication in there.

Interesting comments on home defense. I have 1911s for that, and now a new Mossberg 590L, and... a katana! I also live on the second floor of a locked-lobby apartment building in a very low-crime area.

So, I do feel like I have choices!

Tom

Edited to add: I ordered a replacement safety button but I think I'll not change it until I've shot the gun a few times, so thanks for the caution.

I've had a lot of guns, but this is my first mossberg. Like my BPS, it has a tang safety (which I love), but unlike my BPS, this safety is tough to actuate. So much so that even under stress, I can see my finger slipping off trying to deactivate it (not good). It almost seems like it's getting hung up, but I'm not sure. From a legal standpoint, I'd rather not tamper with the safety by trying to file off a bur or something.

I thought it might loosen up with some dry practice over the last week, but it hasn't. Is it something that just takes a long time to break in, or will it likely stay that way? I know there are aftermarket alternatives, but I'd rather try to keep it stock. If anyone has any experience with this issue I'd appreciate your feedback.

,,Back to the problem......@Sheepdoggit ,,,,did you ever get it fixed? What was the problem?

I did end up changing my safety button today, what a big honkin' pain in the butt!

But I made sure to grease the safety block where it passes through the receiver hole. I suspect you have a burr in that hole that a little filework would address.

Anyone else chanhing a button? Take the darn trigger group out first! D'oh!

Tom

I did end up changing my safety button today, what a big honkin' pain in the butt!

But I made sure to grease the safety block where it passes through the receiver hole. I suspect you have a burr in that hole that a little filework would address.

Tom
There is a lengthy thread out here dedicated to upgrading the stock safety.
Many of us have done it.
I did 2 of my hunting 500's.
Piece of cake.

Tom
No need to remove the trigger group to change out the safety button. Just rack the slide to the rear during the process.

Back