• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need some help with identifying a hole

You can probably go a little lower with the camera yet, like down to about 2 feet, and maybe even less. But you found poop! :D We look for poop too, especially when we hunt!!! How exciting is that!

These are what we see in the snow through out our yard in the winter.

coyotetracks02.jpg

I pretty much never see the coyotes though, just the one time did my wife see one and so far the dogs outside have kept them back. Theyre never there by the time I get out there with a gun, but for the tracks of their long strides in the snow.

setting the trail camera up about waist high is perfect for squirrel and rabbit up to deer size animals to set it off.

The trick is setting it up where the animal will set it off.

Rossignol, I think you misread that. I set it at about 1 1/2 feet from the ground. Maybe I could have worded that different. You know, it's funny that you don't see them though they're walking through your yard. Creepy in a sense....I feel like they're doing the same thing to me. I think they just caught on fast and won't come out now. The local firework stands are up so I'm thinking about getting some smoke bombs to get them out and just shoot when they run out.

I put food about 6-8 feet from the camera at this height so I'm expecting it to work out this time. I'll be checking soon do check back guys!

Ooooooooops! My bad, I did read it wrong! :lol:

Hmmmm, waist high John? I havent used one, I was just guessing. Thanks! I may try this out myself sometime, cuz...

It is creepy Chris. They get real close and we never see em. Jenny, saw the one that looks like that big mature one pictured early in this thread. Thats all thats been see though.

I keep my camera at waist height. That way, even the smaller stuff has a chance to trip the camera lens. I guess you could put it lower than that if you wanted to try it.

I have pictures of animals ranging in size of squirrels and rabbits and raccoons and foxes to large coyote, deer and elk and bear. All from the same camera.

I try to set the camera about 6-8 feet away from where the bait pile will be and face the camera in that general direction, but not pointed directly at the bait pile on the ground. Point it in that general direction, but pointed at infinity so it will catch anything beyond the bait pile as well.

I hope that helps.

I just made my way through this thread and am anxiously awaiting to see what's going to happen.

I wouldn't mount the cameras any higher than waist hight. I set one up for deer this year. Even though I saw the deer while the camera was there, it didn't capture any of them. Turned out it was just a bit to high. When I walked by it it would trigger but if I ducked down to deer height it missed me. Lesson learned.

Good points on the camera. I'll have to see what happens with the setup now. I was thinking that I was too high last time and that's why nothing happened.

Well here it is boys and girls. I finally got some photos in.

There is a fox running around

216950ad.jpg

351cc916.jpg

50a6e573.jpg

Check out the size of this guy lol

171faefa.jpg

2ca0758b.jpg

Last but not least! Here it is! This is the only shot of this guy. The tail, body, height, legs, and snout are clearly coyote. Fairly good size too. sadly this is the only photo I got of this guy. I'm going to chum some squirrels and try to get better shots.

47974f69.jpg

Yes, the fox does look nice.

There was a couple hanging around my mineral plot for a while.

trailcam9211024.jpg

trailcam91111011.jpg

82911trailcam007.jpg

That damn yote should be dead and buried by now...!! ...any plans to finally dispatch it yet ? Are those times right on your tasco Chris ? Kinda dark for 14:16 ( 2:16 PM )...

Here's the shot cleaned up a bit.

d3eb25fd.jpg

I was having trouble with the camera and I didn't set the time correctly. As far as it still roaming is because I haven't seen anything lately. I just can't seem to figure out a way to get them out. I did however pick up a new ar the other day that I'm looking forward to using ha.

I was kind of surprised on how large it was. I'm sure there are several more as well.

Since you said you picked up an AR recently, do you know the specifics about it?

Mostly I am asking about the barrel twist rate?

If you're not sure, I could probably help determine that with the make/model.

The reason I am asking is to recommend a good varmint bullet for you that has fast expansion/fragmentation and still decent penetration.

It's actually a m&p with a 1/8 twist. I've been looking into ammo but nobody seems to carry anything but fmj around here.

Back