• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need to Increase my Drop, I already used the spacers and need more

Dont Suck

Copper BB
Hello to All Mossberg Owners!
I have a problem I have tried to Google for weeks now and haven't found a solution which leads me here.
I currently own a 930 Rhythm that I run in 3 gun competitions. I have been running it for over a year now and I have a problem every time I take it to the range. My cheek gets beat up really bad with noticeable bruising and inflamation. I decided to just deal with it, until at the last competition it broke the skin and was actually bleeding after I tried to run it really fast.
I have to smash my cheek into the stock to get a proper aim down the barrel when shooting. Months ago, I Installed the .250 drop shim and .250 stock spacer and it helped, but it isn't enough, I still have to push my cheek into the stock to get a proper aim.
I then added a Limbsaver slip on to increase the LOP which helped some but I am still getting beat up.
I am 6' 4" and I have some long arms. I buy my shirts with 37/38 sleeve lengths.

My questions, is there a way to increase the drop on this shotgun beyond the already supplied .250 Shim?

If there is not a way to drop it further, do I just keep trying to increase the LOP and if so how far is too far?
I am already at the 2 finger rule between my nose and thumb when shouldering.

Do you think it's just bad form, and if so how do I change up my form for this issue?

Thanks for taking the time.

I don't get it. Carve away the wood stock until it doesn't smash you in the face.

This particular shotgun has a polymer stock, And the stock is mostly hollow to fit the "buffer tube", I don't think this is an option for this particular model. This is what the inside of the stock looks like. The walls seem to be less than 1/4" in thickness so if I sand further than that I will be looking at a hole in my stock. I may be mistaken about this but please educate me if I am wrong.
stock_nut.jpg

Yeah plastic stocks suck. I own a couple and I hate them.

I plan to replace mine with wood or plywood.

You might do a partial fill with epoxy filler, then reshape, but it might also be possible to just heat the plastic and reshape it somewhat.

Unfortunately some plastics will out-gas like crazy when you heat them, and the molecular structure devolves to a waxy brittle plastic when it cools.

See what happens when you heat and bend a cheap poly cutting board. It can be bent but don't use more than the minimum heat. It weakens from the outside in & you wind up with a good core covered in weak plastic.

I tried to melt and recast polyethylene, and it will do so, but gives off flammable gas as it melts. The resulting test ingot had the overall structural properties of a stale hershey bar. SNAP!

I think good modern gun stocks use a similar polyethylene with fiberglass or carbon fiber fillers to increase strength & reduce weight. Mine are cheap (Savage Arms) & probably not so well made, but I dunno.

Last edited:
Within the next couple of weeks (in time for SHOT 2016) we will have some more options announced for adjusting rise/drop as well as cast (for the first time) on the 930 polymer stocked guns. If the response to the initial concept warrants, we will also be producing an anodized alloy replacement for the .250" drop spacer within the next couple of months or so. If you're interested in being part of the initial run, send me a PM and we'll get you on the list for the pre-release.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

^^Seeing as how I'm ordering a new 930 tomorrow, I'd be interested in some alloy spacers also once I figure out which one I'll need.

Back