• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I Ordered a Pistol Grip for my Maverick

DDDWho

.22LR
Knowing full well when I ordered it I would never put it on the gun. I see people shooting shotguns with pistol grips, they seem to have little control over recoil. One girl on YouTube had it slip out of her hands when she pulled the trigger. A shoulder stock makes for far better accuracy.

What I had in mind when I ordered it is someday I may realize a pipe dream of hiking in bear country with a packable shotgun...but I doubt I'll ever do that.

205751_ts.jpg

I have one of these. It is an ATI Talon Scorpion. Very comfortable to shoot. The ones that Mossberg provides with their pistol grip only models would eat up my hand. But no, the accuracy is nothing like what you get with a conventional stock. Take care. Tom Worthington

205751_ts.jpg

I have one of these. It is an ATI Talon Scorpion. Very comfortable to shoot. The ones that Mossberg provides with their pistol grip only models would eat up my hand. But no, the accuracy is nothing like what you get with a conventional stock. Take care. Tom Worthington

I ordered the Hogue. It seems comfortable enough just holding it in my hand. I chose it because of the sling swivel stud

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here.

Sounds like a good plan that certainly didn't cost much. How would you pack it differently than a normally stocked shotgun?

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here.

Sounds like a good plan that certainly didn't cost much. How would you pack it differently than a normally stocked shotgun?

The shorter length and somewhat lighter weight strapped across my back just seems to make more sense than the longer stock while hiking. Maybe I'm wrong but if so... I can pack it just like it is

What I had in mind when I ordered it is someday I may realize a pipe dream of hiking in bear country with a packable shotgun...but I doubt I'll ever do that.

I have a cabin in the northwest interior of Alaska. Quintessential griz country. Crossing paths with a bear is not not a matter of if, but when. I haven't had to shoot one yet, and hopefully never do. Most of the game wardens and state troopers up there carry 14" barreled pumps, loaded with heavy magnum Brenneke hardened lead 1.5oz slugs for their bear encounters. They tell me it does a good job of penetrating wet bear fur better than other brands. Black Magic (if you can find it) or Green Lightning are what most guys up there prefer for DLP.

The 14" barrel does a wonderful job of lightening the gun. 5+1 capacity is plenty for a bear encounter. You'll be lucky to get off more than 2 rounds before he eats you, or you kill him, or you both run away.

Having reflected upon all that, and not wanting to go thru all of the NFA hogwash for a 14" shotgun, I decided to get a Mossberg Shockwave and retire my full-size M500 for cabin, camp, hiking, fishing duty. The M500 is now home defense while I'm home in the lower 48.

The Shockwave fit my needs perfectly. I can go fishing with it in a scabbard over my back, and relax a bit, knowing I have something more powerful than a pistol, yet waaaaay lighter and less cumbersome than my 20" shotgun with buttstock slung on my shoulder.

I shot some heavy magnum slugs thru it last weekend. They're not fun to shoot, but they're not fun on a shoulder stock, either. The raptor grip makes it manageable instead of painful. The thing still kicks like a pissed off mule, but it doesn't hurt any part of your hand or arms.

Something to consider.

Otherwise I'd recommend you start looking at magnum revolvers, starting with .44mag and going up from there if you're serious about wanting to survive a bear attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

Having reflected upon all that, and not wanting to go thru all of the NFA hogwash for a 14" shotgun, I decided to get a Mossberg Shockwave and retire my full-size M500 for cabin, camp, hiking, fishing duty. The M500 is now home defense while I'm home in the lower 48.

The Shockwave fit my needs perfectly. I can go fishing with it in a scabbard over my back, and relax a bit, knowing I have something more powerful than a pistol, yet waaaaay lighter and less cumbersome than my 20" shotgun with buttstock slung on my shoulder.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it comes to that the Maverick will be my poor mans Shockwave

Maverick88HogueTamer_zpseirjb7kb.jpg

Back