• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Identifying a 'heavy wall bbl'

oldzy

Are there identifying marks on the barrel to denote a 'heavy wall bbl' as on the 'A1' version of the 590?

Reason I ask is that a local fellow mentioned his non-A1 590 has a 'heavy wall barrel'.

easiest way would by to put it next to another 500a. if you can't do that, take a outside diameter measurement and post it.someone will be able to let you know for sure.

Thanks. Don't have another to compare. Not a big deal though, was just curious. I am going to be selling it (to catch up on some debts :evil: ) and was trying to get as much info a possible. I emailed Mossberg last week, but no reply yet. The entire gun weighs exactly 6.5lbs. 14" 590 w/bead sight, speedfeed.

The factory 14 inchers are all 590a1 'heavy' barrels.

All stock 590a1 barrels are marked '590', not 590a1 and the only identifier on the 'a1' models is the '590A1' roll mark on the receiver...

Interesting. I thought the only ones with heavy barrels were the 590A1's no exceptions. I guess it explains why the guns feels 'beefy'.

If I remove the barrel... there will be '590' marked somewhere? All I see is the 'P' mark below so far.

DSC02776.JPG

If there's one thing we've learned about Mossberg it's that their line is full of exceptions.

The 'breacher' barrels on 500 and 590 models are heavy walled 590a1 barrels as well. I can't tell you how your barrel is marked, but my 590a1 and all others I've seen are plainly marked '590' on the side of the barrel. Here are the roll marks on my factory 590a1, model 51663...

Receiver...

Barrel...

The barrel roll marks are the exact same on my 590 with the breacher barrel...

Yup, they're consistently inconsistent.

Not sure at what point they changed the factory barrel roll marks, but I bought mine a year or two ago. I'm in the process of an SBS conversion on my 590. Ordered my new barrel and in speaking with Mossberg tech support and sales I was told that all factory 14" barrels are cut to order from stock 18.5" 590a1 barrels. You could always give Mossberg tech support a call for a definitive answer on the specs for your particular model...

(800) 363-3555

L.E.S. ,could you do me a favor and measure the outside diameter of your HD barrel?
thank you.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Sure.

At what point?

at the muzzle. i wanted to see the difference in thickness between HD and regular.
thank you.

thank you guys. its about twice the thickness of a regular 500 barrel.

So I actually have a HWB then. I feel somewhat tingly inside. Damn, I want to keep it now. I f!@#n hate selling things anyway. :x

Hey Old Mossy I tried to reply to your PM but apparently as a new member I'm not able to use the PM feature so there was no "reply" option so I thought I'd provide the info you requested here since this post deals with your question. The barrel on my 590 (50663) measures at the muzzle .857 north to south and .860 east to west.

Back