• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

IDENTITY CRISIS • Mossberg 46 M (b) • Help Sought

rjtmac

.22LR
I have inherited a project - the restoration of a Mossberg 46 M (b) for my Grandson. It is a rifle that belonged to his Grandfather. His Dad is wanting to pass the rifle down to him but it needs quite a bit of work.

All that to say ... I know that the 46 M (b) or Model 46 b {same gun} was manufactured from 1938-1949.

What I was wondering is there any way to be more specific on the Born Date. Any specific characteristics to the 46 (b) models through the years ? Stock differences, stamp differences or any physical differences that can date ID a year model.

The only difference I have been able to discern on the rifle in hand is the fore stock seems to be a little different. Most pictures of 46 (b)'s I have seen have shown the fore stock to get noticeably smaller the last 2 inches or so. There is a definite noticeable curve where it gets smaller. The one I have in hand does not. The one I have is just a taper to the end. I have not seen any pictures of one that has the kind of stock this one does. Picture of my stock below:

IMG_4998_zpshqoorlbk.jpg

IMG_5005_zpsyblo0zce.jpg

Is there a year associated with type of stock design ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help ...

In the first place the 46 (b) and the 46M (b) are not the same gun. The M stands for Mannlicher or military. They had a stock which extended to the muzzle. The Mod. 46B did not.
Also the stock on yours has been cut down, forearm slimmed down. The barrel stamping will either say 46B or 46M (b). The (b) indicates a minor improvement to the model that does not warrant a model change. No definite way to tell when rifle was made, with out more detail pictures and that may only narrow it down some.

In the first place the 46 (b) and the 46M (b) are not the same gun. The M stands for Mannlicher or military. They had a stock which extended to the muzzle. The Mod. 46B did not.
Also the stock on yours has been cut down, forearm slimmed down. The barrel stamping will either say 46B or 46M (b). The (b) indicates a minor improvement to the model that does not warrant a model change. No definite way to tell when rifle was made, with out more detail pictures and that may only narrow it down some.

Thanks ... Found this all out over the course of the project getting it back in working order.

IMG_5381_zpsczxqksth.jpg

IMG_5383_zpsygwbpvtq.jpg

IMG_5385_zpsvn9p3bpz.jpg

IMG_5388_zpsob8xefkp.jpg

It turned out pretty nice when it was all said and done.

I do not come here that often and had no idea when you posted. As to the age of this rifle--it is post war, judging by the rear sight. It is a 46M (b) as it has the treaded hole on bottom of the tube near barrel end. Also the small hole in stock (where it was slimmed down was for a screw which secured the metal connector for the stock extension. You dd a very nice job of making this a beautiful shooter again, the stock wood is especially nice!
Production date given on sites are a 'lil misleading. Moss. made no civilan products from 1941-2 thru 1945, as they were doing war contract work only.

I do not come here that often and had no idea when you posted. As to the age of this rifle--it is post war, judging by the rear sight. It is a 46M (b) as it has the treaded hole on bottom of the tube near barrel end. Also the small hole in stock (where it was slimmed down was for a screw which secured the metal connector for the stock extension. You dd a very nice job of making this a beautiful shooter again, the stock wood is especially nice!
Production date given on sites are a 'lil misleading. Moss. made no civilan products from 1941-2 thru 1945, as they were doing war contract work only.

Thanks again for chiming in. The rear sight was a purchase I made. Ordered a match to what I found to be on other 46M's I found pictures of in doing research and also matching what I found on Mossberg parts listings sheets/schematics. The first sight I ordered for a 46M was misrepresented in it's online info. It was the wrong one for this particular rifle.

I try and get as accurate a history as possible on guns I come in contact with ...

Back