• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you have a portable generator, from one you can carry with one hand to one on wheels, what brand?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I am simply curious.

And those whole house permanently affixed LPG big guys are a whole other story I don't want to get into.

When I worked, my truck had a 6.5k Honda and a “suitcase” 2k Honda. Both excellent one pull or one crank every time, even after sitting for weeks sometime months.. But that reliability comes with the cost.. alas,they stayed with the truck when I retired. I’ve been looking at a few of those dual fuel (gas or propane) versions lately. Never hurts to have options in an emergency...

I have a Honda EU2000i. Its lightweight and really quiet. Mine runs for 10+ hours on a tank with low load. I use it mostly to run a cpap when at the cabin and to run tools when working on my hunting blunds.

I also have a Rigid 6800 (Yamaha engine) that I use as a household backup and for my cabin. Elec start, lots if power and also runs 10+ hours on a tank with low to medium load.

Addiionalky I have a Campbell Hausfeld 5500 that I got in trade. Not sure how long it will run. It has decent power but is ungodly loud. I just keep it at my cabin as a backup.

Have two Honda EU2000i generators. Excellent power, man portable, inverter power output, and they sip fuel, especially if run in eco mode.

One other feature is the ability to connect two of them together for higher output. I built a simple plugin harness that connect them.

Additionally, because they have a fuel pump you can connect a boat outboard motor fuel tank with a couple of simple fittings. They will almost run forever on a six gallon outboard fuel tank.

Regards

I never owned a generator.

But I rented out 1000 of them to other people.

Ignoring big Detroit diesel rigs, we only rented Honda’s out to consumers and small contractors.

Same with pumps. Engines outran other brands 2 to 1.

This was in the 1970s, and not much has changed IMO, except there are more cheap generators available. Chinese stuff.

But I have never owned a generator. Tiller, mower & 2 Honda bikes though. All wonderful.

My two are small. More like you'd use for camping.

The larger of the two is 1500w continuos and 2000 startup. I have it hooked to the circuit with my two deep freezers and refridgerator. I haven't tried it with the new upright deep freezer my wife recently got, but it was fine for the chest freezer and refridgerator. I half expect that if all 3 kick the compressors on at once, I probably would have to hand cycle them manually myself by unplugging one while the other two are working and then let the other run afterwards.

The smaller 1000w continuous 1400w peak generator, I have hooked to the interior lights and a few outlets in the living room and kitchen mostly.

My parents have a really nice 5500w continuous rope start which works great. But, if it's sat for a while, I tend to use a hair spray bottle with gas to prime the carb with before pulling the rope on it. Otherwise, you may be there pulling on the rope for a while.

When I worked for the catv, we had two 10k battery/key start gennies to run headends and major equipment. They were beasts, but I don't recall the brand of them right off. They were red and black paint job, but for the life of me, I don't recall the brand.

I forgot to say what I have. Ooops.

I have a wheeled WEN 11000W peak/8500W run that is dual fuel (gasoline/propane). It has less than ten hours on it but I run it for short periods every now and then. It weighs 260 lbs so I don't move it very far out of the garage..

And I have a GENERAC 2200i inverter generator that is very portable (40-ish lbs) and I keep it unopened in the box. All it needs is oil (included) and some gas to start it up. I got it to run just the master bedroom computers, TV, cable box and other electronics.

Pix--- Just because.

Honda-EU2000i-2000-watt-inverter-generator-article-portable-no-text.jpg

Honda EU2000i

9a5e114e88307c360b368bb13e0d9e3f--portable-generator-electric.jpg

Yamaha Rigid 6800

45831.1.jpg

Campbell Hausfeld 5500

27d9ca25319d49d2ad0615f435b0d0f0.jpg

WEN 11000W

Generac-IX-Portable-2200-Watt-Inverter-Generator-Recoil-Pull-Start-6719.jpg

GENERAC 2200

Back