• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'll never need to shoot a hostage taker

m24shooter

.270 WIN
For those that want to believe this:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/HCSO- ... index.html

"(The suspect) grabs her around the neck in kind of a chokehold and puts a pistol up to her head," said Jeff Stauber of the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

The men made the girl take them back to her house and unlock the front door, detectives said.

Deputies said the girl's father, Richard Goodie, heard the commotion, grabbed a gun and fired a shot through the door.

The father went outside and found his daughter was being held hostage, detectives said.

Investigators said one of the men threatened to kill the girl if Goodie did not back down.

"(The suspect) started dragging the young girl into the street," Stauber said. "There was some separation, and, at that point, the daddy was able to fire one shot at the suspect."

Goodie shot the man, Michael Hendricks, in the stomach, deputies said.

Time and time and time again: it's not the odds, it's the stakes.

Expat_PM said:
Hi Shooter,
Interesting story but your comment confuses me.
Do you believe it? should I?
There are people that believe that training for HD shooting is pointless. There are people that believe that training for shooting partially obstructed targets is pointless. They argue that hostage scenario shooting drills are mall ninja fantasy. This story illustrates that it can happen.
So no, I don't believe it. I may never need to, the odds are certainly on my side.
That said, there is a reason I closed my post with what I said.

Thanks for that M24. I understand what you mean now.

Chances are you may never be involved in a like scenario, however in the case one is involved in a hostage situation, having practiced small shots puts one at an advantage.

.... the girl's father, Richard Goodie, heard the commotion, grabbed a gun and fired a shot through the door.

First, let me say that I'm really glad about the outcome. It could have gone much worse (and it also could have gone much better if the sch*tbag met with a more severe GSW).

But firing a shot thru a closed door with his daughter on the other side

[sarcasm MODE = ON]

Is. Full. Of. Win.

[/Sarcasm MODE = OFF]

Holy effin' cow, boyz and girlz. I don't know if the daughter is the one upon whom good fortune smiled, or was it her incredibly stupid father who may never realize what a totally unsound decision he made (and apparently got away with) when he pulled the trigger the first time.

Thanks M24,
I get it now too. (I'm a little thick sometimes and have to have things spelled out).

I'd like to think that in a similar situation that I would take the shot (and make it clean).
On the other hand, I hope I never have to face a hard decision like that. However, as a friend says, "Hope is not a strategy."

I think I should work these small shots into my shooting regimen just so I'll feel more confident in the case that I'm faced with anything similar.

Besides, it's a new challenge and would be fun learning to hit narrow targets.

Nite:
Exactaly. Felony grade stupid to shoot like that.
ExPat:
That's why it is very important to pattern your shotgun, and why stuff like FC wads and tuned barrels work well.

m24shooter said:
Nite:
Exactaly. Felony grade stupid to shoot like that.
ExPat:
That's why it is very important to pattern your shotgun, and why stuff like FC wads and tuned barrels work well.

Nothing like Federal Tru-Ball Reduced Recoil 1-oz slugs to send a precision message that says "Please Just Go Away" !

nitesite said:
Nothing like Federal Tru-Ball Reduced Recoil 1-oz slugs to send a precision message that says "Please Just Go Away" !

forever ... :)

In all honesty, oli700, I think your Lee cast slugs and your reloaded slug shells inside of 25- or 30-yards would be as precise as anything I could buy no matter the price. I'd ride the river with you, and your ammo. No hesitation. No doubt.

I agree on the stupidity of the first shot.

However, message well received otherwise! We love patterning loads and posting results for others to see! Allison and I also practice using clays as targets, for both shotgun and handgun. The small shots are important too, and I am so looking forward to firing some Oli hand rolled ammo!

Yeah, shooting through the door was rather retarded on all accounts. And I dont' think I would want to chance it with a shotgun. I am much more proficient with a rifle and I would be a lot more comfortable choosing it over anything else in a situation like that.

But I don't have the patience to stand by and watch someone harm a family member. SOB would have to kill me because if they gave me just a half of a chance, I'll take the shot and I wont' stop until they're no longer among the breathing. Screw letting them heal up and probation just to give them another opportunity at a later time. If I'm going to pull the trigger, it's for keeps.

Not trying to sound like a billy bada$$, but that's how I feel about it. Someone holding a gun to someone in my family telling me they're gonna kill them opens up the floodgates of hell. Play time is over.

John A. said:
But I don't have the patience to stand by and watch someone harm a family member. SOB would have to kill me because if they gave me just a half of a chance, I'll take the shot and I wont' stop until they're no longer among the breathing. Screw letting them heal up and probation just to give them another opportunity at a later time. If I'm going to pull the trigger, it's for keeps.

Not trying to sound like a billy bada$$, but that's how I feel about it. Someone holding a gun to someone in my family telling me they're gonna kill them opens up the floodgates of hell. Play time is over.

Amen to that!

John A. said:
And I dont' think I would want to chance it with a shotgun.

I'll never need to shoot a hostage taker

This is one of those things (as I believe is the suggestion of the title) we tell ourselves, will "never happen to me".

I believe it can happen and although I never say this is what we practice for, its always a thought in the back of my mind.

I think Allison and I both are very proficient with a shotgun. With certain loads I wouldnt hesitate with HD/SD ranges. (my hope is I dont hesitate period if ever I need to take the shot)

Its because of the small shots we pattern everything we get our hands on and aim to pick off individual clays when they stand just inches from one another.

I wouldnt try to change your mind from what youre comfortable with, but I know it can be done with a shotgun, even when only inches seperate a good shot from a tragic shot.

Good story. Dumb ass begining to shoot the door. Lucky ending.

Side note. I was watching a show last night on snipers and the top 10 shots they have done. They had the guys try recreating the same scenarios and see if they could duplicate the shot. Some did..some did not. A couple or snipers missed the 2nd time and by only mere inches. These guys had years under their belt too. Lots of shots and bg scenarios to boot.Its crazy not to practice. I don't see how someone in their right mind can say different about either.

I practice with slugs only cuz I don't have a handgun permit. My Beretta isn't that good either. The guy who had it before me looks like he used it as a hammer and wedge for stuff. Its going to be wall art when I'm done refinshing it. And when I do get my permit...I'm going to practice with my pistol that I eventually will have.

Thanx for sharing and thanx everyone else for the input. Its good to see we are not all just a bunch of misguided foolio's.

Back