• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! 590 photo thread!

Re: I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Rossignol, how did you apply that skull to your stock? Is it a sticker, or was it painted on?

Well, because of the leather work I do, I make my own stencils. So I made the Magpul Skull one day. Its a stencil I can use over and over. I apply scotch tape all around and where I dont want paint, put it on the stock, then some gentle and careful cutting, remove the stencil and my negative spaces stay. Finally hit it with a light coat of paint, then another, and maybe another. Peel all the tape away and it looks like my avatar thingy! ;)

Brand new to me as of today! Just have a few things planned for it, nothing much. Love it so far!

I love it man, I absolutely love it!

I love it too! Now I just need to decide on a sling and find a Speedfeed I stock and I'll be set for the time being.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Here's my 590 Cruiser.

It came with the breacher barrel which I don't really need but it wasn't a deal breaker. I added the tri-rail forend, "stubby" foregrip, and the Blackhawk 15rd sling. ...

Is there a difference in the 500 cruiser and 590 cruiser? The reason I ask is because I couldn't really see a difference in mine and yours, but mine is a 500 cruiser.

There is very little difference between the 2. Most notable will be the barrel and magazine tube. On the 590, there is a ring on the barrel that slides over the mag tube with a detent ball on the face towards the muzzle. The magazine cap comes off completely, and when screwed on, locks up against the detent ball. The 500 has not so much a ring as a retainer for the magazine cap/screw. Additionally, the mag tube of the 590 has a "cap" at the end of the tube which can be seen after the mag tube cap has been removed. The internal cap has a hole, and a bit of a slot. It too can be removed so the mag tube can be cleaned.

All that make sense? :)

More differences come in with the 590A1. Heavy wall barrel, aluminum alloy receiver, trigger gaurd, and safety. And the receiver is stamped "M590A1".

Well I'm thoroughly confused now! lol

Rossignol said:
There is very little difference between the 2. Most notable will be the barrel and magazine tube. On the 590, there is a ring on the barrel that slides over the mag tube with a detent ball on the face towards the muzzle. The magazine cap comes off completely, and when screwed on, locks up against the detent ball. The 500 has not so much a ring as a retainer for the magazine cap/screw. Additionally, the mag tube of the 590 has a "cap" at the end of the tube which can be seen after the mag tube cap has been removed. The internal cap has a hole, and a bit of a slot. It too can be removed so the mag tube can be cleaned.

All that make sense? :)

More differences come in with the 590A1. Heavy wall barrel, aluminum alloy receiver, trigger gaurd, and safety. And the receiver is stamped "M590A1".

Well I'm thoroughly confused now! lol

Well, that's what I was asking. Remember, I showed you my 500 Cruiser, but it has the 590 barrel retainer ring, with the 590 mag tube and mag tube cap, along with the internal cap. I want to find someone with a 590 Cruiser that lives close to me so i could strip them both and see what all differences, if any, are apparent.

Yup, I remember! And in your case, I dont know why it isnt called a "590". But those really are the differences. Now, M24 knows more about the specifics than I do. I know he has mentioned before about the parts being mixed and matched.

Wish I could tell you why.

Maybe if M24 gets some extra time, he will chime in and let us all know. It seems as though he may be the subject matter expert.

Yep, he has way more experience with way more models. I'm givin ya all I know man.

Are just wanting to know why yours is a 500 and not a 590? Or the differences that makes one what it is? Or why parts are mixed?

Here, check out this thread. I started this thread some time ago to help differentiate the 500/590/590A1. While it isnt complete, its a base line. I dont have models such as yours listed, but we can add to the list for sure! This is also the thread where M24 mentioned parts being mixed. So check it out, we'll get your model added and see what we can figure out! :)

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=252

No, I was more or less wondering in an effort to help others. And what I mean by that is if someone was in the market for a shotgun and they stumbled across this forum, information like that may or may not be helpful in the decision making process. I'll take a look at that thread. And again, thanks for all the help.

I'm afraid I'm not much of an authority on the subject since this is my first shotgun. The LGS where I picked up my 590 had it tagged as a 500. Seems there's a lot of confusion on the matter.

shane_huskey said:
...information like that may or may not be helpful in the decision making process...

I agree!

shane_huskey said:
...I'll take a look at that thread. And again, thanks for all the help.

No problem, we'll always do what we can!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The LGS where I picked up my 590 had it tagged as a 500. Seems there's a lot of confusion on the matter.

Again, I agree. My long time understanding has always been that with the 590 barrel and mag tube, it was a 590. Those are the most and easiest distinguishing features at a glance.

I'm going to actually look up the model #'s and add them to the other thread.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm afraid I'm not much of an authority on the subject since this is my first shotgun. The LGS where I picked up my 590 had it tagged as a 500. Seems there's a lot of confusion on the matter.

So are you sure it is a 590? Mine has the 590 barrel and mag tube, but it is still a 500. What did your box say?

^ Yup, it's stamped "590" on the bottom side of the receiver and the box says "590 Tactical Entry" or something very similar.

IMG_1604.jpg

Back