• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'm a little envious of you Patriot owners...

wood chucker

Supporter
I've got some MVP's, fine fine rifles and won't sell them for neither love nor money but the I've been hearing the siren song of the Patriot series since they were first announced before they came out.

I'm a little envious of you guys that got them. I can't resist pawing them over at the LGS

Mossy got the stock design just right. It looks as pretty to the eye at it feels to the hand and shoulders like it too IMHO. That and the variety of calibers is pretty dang impressive.

There's irons in the fire and bigger fish to fry but I'll get one someday. Untill then reading about yours will do me for a bit.

Well I want you to know that I do not regret getting mine as I have said in other posts it is beyond my expectations for a rifle that was $375.25 out the door I added $28.00 limbsaver pad $40.00 scope mounts and a pound of weight and the only group I shot with it is well under a inch. Not bad at all going to the range tomorrow to work up the load so I hope to have even better news tomorrow.
Shawn

How did you add weight to yours Shawn?

I'm getting ready to add some weight to my 30-06, two trips to the range, and 40 rounds down range and I'm still not tight enough to be confident. I was probably in a 5" diameter last trip then had 3 crazy zingers that went to the opposite side of the target one to the top, one to the bottom, and one didn't even hit the paper.

I will be spending some time checking all the screws this weekend, and will likely be adding a bi-pod.

Well I'm a machinist by trade so I make a lot of my own stuff I started with a 1/4" bolt about 7-8"long and 2 springs about 2 1/2" each and a brass weight with a 1/4 dilled thru it then I mounted the bolt to a aluminum plate that I hold in place with the screws that held factory butt plate. Tomorrow night I will take it apart and take a pic to post the weight is in between the two springs and helps with recoil.

Check all screws my 375 killed a set of b square rings and the factory bases totally my fault for thinking that a light duty set of rings could hold up to recoil of a 200gr bullet at 3213fps.
Hope you figure it out but to me it sounds like something loose.

Shawn

Yeah, planning to check everything, just read where a .300 winmag owner had broken pieces inside his stock, so a new bedding job could possibly be in the cards as well.

Took it back out yesterday evening, checked all the screws... nice and tight

More of the same first two rounds were 3" then 6" high but centered, then about 1.5" low, and 2.5" to the right, and from there i just chased my tail.

Talked to Vortex this morning, they suggested backing off the mount screws, then setting them to 16 inch pounds and trying again. If the condition persists I ship it in for free warranty work, or a free replacement.

Last edited:
Not sure what to say usually you can find something the rifle likes but could also be caused by the bedding of the action.

After checking bedding I would also have scope looked at or put it on another rifle which you know is grouping well.
Had 375 out Sunday fired 4 shots 1 to foul a clean bore then 3 for a group and all 3 could be covered with a dime this thing scares at times like its to good to be true.

Cracked it open, all the screws were good, mounts were good. the mag well serves as part of the bedding.

I went ahead and bedded an area in front of the lug to help with the little bit of epoxy bedding that was in there.

First time to try a bedding job so I'm terrified right now quite frankly. I coated more than enough of the barrel and the entire lug with a generous amount of wax so it should be ok, just worried now.

Woke up at 6, first thing I did was run to the shop.

Scared the shit out of myself when the action wouldn't come out. I pried on it, pulled on it, I had a little bit of wiggle but she just wouldn't break free.

I blocked up the stock to where the barrel and action were free, and gave it a few good wacks using a block of wood on the bottom of the action. Success!

If I ever bed another rifle I will use something other than grease for a release agent as the epoxy looks like it almost mated with the recoil lug despite it.

All that said I now have a nice bedded area around the recoil lug.

I will let that cure for the rest of the day, then work on my stock weight/extension this evening.

Added my stock extension/weight, going to the range tomorrow evening with a leupold. We'll see how it goes however between all three changes I suspect I'll enjoy my results.

Back