1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

I'm on a Milsurp kick...

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by st1264, Apr 25, 2016.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

That gun looks very nice st1264.
  2. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

I'm sporting a stiffie right now.

Damn, guys. Y'all really did well in the acquisition department.
  3. st1264

st1264 .270 WIN

Thanks. I surprised myself in how nice it came out... just have to put the time in and clean er' up.

My Czech stock will look fantastic once I clean it up and sweat the cosmo out... UHG isn't very nice though. Glad I have a few spares coming, from Ebay.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9 .22LR

That's Gorgeous. Someone in a earlier post was slamming on Mosins, but I've got one that's in fantastic shape and has some really cool receiver and stock markings that I need to sweat the cosmo out of. What was your method?

Attached Files:

5. st1264

st1264 .270 WIN

I bought a heat gun, let the cosmo bubble up and then wipe off with a rag. Very time consuming but it works well. Then I clean/degrease with TSP or if I'm going to refinish - furniture stripper.

My Yugo had a lot of dirt embedded in the stock, when I dragged a fingernail across it, black dirt came up all the time. Sweated cosmo out, degreased/cleaned, very lightly sanded (to open the pores) and re-oiled with BLO. Your Mosin is shellacked, if you are not refinishing, just sweat out the cosmo and be done with it.

I'm not that big on Mosins, but I really liked my Russian M44 I had.
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Can you point out that post? I don't see it...
  7. st1264

st1264 .270 WIN

I think this is what he was referring to:

8. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Ah, ok.

In that case, I don't see how that is in any way considered slamming Mosin rifles. I read that as he's saying that it's good to see a surplus thread with posts on something else for a change. Nothing wrong with Mosin at all, I have a few myself. It's just refreshing to see some variety...
    oli700 likes this.
  9. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

I really am ok with most firearms, everyone has a list.
    Buddy of mine bagged a huge bull elk with one , its functional.....
  10. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9 .22LR

My apologies, guys. I believe my particular phrasing was poor and taken out of context. I never did feel like anyone was flat out bashing Mosins and saying they are bad guns. That was my poor attempt at cracking a joke. :oops: :D
    LAZY EYED SNIPER likes this.
  11. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I've never seen a Moisin close up, but I held a 1906 trapdoor Springfield in my hands the other day, at Uncle Sam's firearms.

With the bayonet. :eek:

It was an incredible feat of willpower which overcame me in that hour, as is evidenced by the fact that I do not own it now.
  12. LAZY EYED SNIPER

No harm, no foul...
  13. st1264

st1264 .270 WIN

I had a Mosin, got rid of it... also had a 'shooter grade' Mosin M44 that was a mess when I got it, stock felt damp with cosmo, bolt was Chinese, spray paint on it, every inch was scratched, dented... the shipment was guesstimated to be out of Albania.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned it up, bore and bluing were like new. Stock was sweated of cosmo, sanded and refinished with the awful Polyshades in Antique Walnut (I was just learning at that time), still came out decent. Sold it for more than I bought it for. Wish I had kept it, but the safe gets full every now and again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You never know what you have until you clean it up. That thing was absolutely filthy.
    CaddmannQ and wrangler_dave9 like this.
  14. biglever

biglever .270 WIN

Very nice