• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

In need of win10 help

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I had to buy a new computer this week. Had been using win7, which I liked.

New computer has win10.

And it sucks royally.

Convoluted.

Non-intuitive

terrible setup.

Nothing is where it should be, and nothing works like I think it should.

Whoever the brain surgeon who sold this idea to Microsoft should be kicked in the balls.

Repeatedly.

After 2 days, I have finally figured out how to save stuff to my bookmarks at least.

Now, I'm having trouble importing my photos and stuff from my memory cards. It wants to do everything by date. I liked having all of my downloads in a SINGLE file, that I could name whatever I wanted like I could before.

Like trailcam 51519 (for trail camera photos for 5/15/19). It's a simple way to store my photos where I can find them.

Or, another file name would be Christmas 2018 pictures, as another example.

I know that I can't be this stupid not being able to figure out how I can get all of my photos in a single file instead of having 7 folders for a single memory card dump when I check my trail camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides buy a mac? Which is probably what I'm going to do the next time I buy a desktop.

Also, does anyone know how to change the settings to turn the screensaver off? I'm not a fan of having to put in a PIN number every time I sit down at my desk after a walk away for a few minutes. I'd be fine with eliminating the need for the pin altogether. If that's an option.

Thanks guys.

@CaddmannQ or @MikeD are pc knowledgeable I think.

I'm due for a new pc real soon too. I'm still on win7. I tried win10 and hated the forced updates they have.
I'm pretty sure I'll uninstall win10 on the new one and install 7. amazon has em cheap...

Oh wow...I got mine when it was $46! It's $180 now. Yikes.

Just an FYI...

Windows 7 will stop receiving security updates or support January of 2020.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

I can help with some of that tomorrow. Which version of 10 are you running? I.e. home, professional?

I have a 2 in 1 "tablet" (with detachable keyboard) running Win10 I use for a VW diagnostic dongle I have (VCDS). The first thing I did was turn off as much of the shix as I could. And got it so it opens to desktop vs "tiles". Still learning the ins and out and HATE the automatic updating it insists on doing at the most inopportune times. Keep hacking around with it and you'll figure it out as I did. There ARE Win7 "themes" you can find and install.

Do you see a normal lookjng desktop or a bunch of tiles like on a tablet?

If you see tiles then hit the start button a type "tablet mode", change the setting to desktop. If you have a touchscreen Monitor tablet mode is probably the default. My win 10 pcs have this off and it functions a lot like W7.

Similarly hit the start button and type "screensaver". You should see options and be able to change settings. Typing "lock screen settings" will take you to options that affect the screen saver locking the screen.

Dont worry if the start menu is open when you start typing the search assist will kick in as soon as you start typing. It will suggest as you go so you will prob only have to type a few chars before the option appears.

Win 10 does take some getting used to and they did move a lot of the settings around. It really should function much like Win7. It did not initially and required 3rd part software to make it look the same, newer updates have addressed that and the desktop should look and funtion similarly unles you have one of the other modes activated.

Let me know if any of this helps then we can address the other issues if they still persist.

Yes.

I have figured some of them out. And discovered other ones that I don't like.

I think I turned off the feature where my computer automatically uploads all my files that I make to the cloud or local NSA office or wherever it sends it to. But I'm not really sure.

The only option that I can use when I'm uploading my camera photos and videos is by date. I do not have the option to name the file dump and keep them together. It even goes in on my trail camera photos for example, if there are 12 photos taken today and 19 photos taken yesterday, it makes different folders for them. I hate it.

This one is confusing to me. When I transfer pictures I just drag them from the card to a folder of my choice.

I will mount the card using a usb card reader or just use the card slot depending on which computer I am using. A window will open asking what I want to do. I select view files which opens file explorer then I copy what I want to where I want just like any other file.

How are you transfering the files? Directly off the sd cards or via some other direct hookup? Are you choosing to let windows automatically transfer the pictures?

You can also change the default on folders from photo to documents, etc, that has some impact on how it treats files. I know for photos this will add a preview and some other photo specific options. To change, right click on the folder, select properties and its in the customize tab under "Optimize this folder for"

The popup notifications are also pissing me off.

For instance, with HP directly.

It keeps popping up asking me if I want to send my info to HP to check my warranty status. I keep unlicking the send info button and have clicked the "don't want to send info" button every day, but I have to do that every day again.

Another popup that is annoying the crap out of me is the email notification popup screen.

I have the email notification unchecked, and it stopped informing me of every email I get now.

But every couple of hours, it sends a popup on my screen telling me that I have email notifications but they cant' send it to me because I have it turned off and if I want to get them I have to turn them back on.

If I wanted email notifications on, I wouldn't have turned them off in the first place.

As for the card reader, I am uploading directly from the sd card(s).

I did a quick screenshot while trying to upload a photo from my camera.

There is no way to group all the photos in the memory card dump into the same folder, which I can't even name like I used to could. This makes finding pictures a royal pain when it seperates them into different files and stores it into whatever folder it wants to put them in. Here are the options.

photo import.PNG

Don't "import" pics, just copy and paste into a folder of your choosing. I forget what they call the "program folder" now but you can probably go in there once you find it and uninstall a bunch of HP bloatware...

Thank you Bobster, I'll try that.

Back