In the barn....

Discussion in 'Photo And Video Gallery' started by Elbert Garrett, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Any day that you can poke holes in some paper is a good day!

Pattern testing my little 500 Cruiser .410 from `16.
    1st up was Hornady CD and 2nd was Winchester PDX followed up with Winchester 000.

100_6994.JPG

100_4996.JPG
  2. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Hornady CD 2 1/2" .410

This little shot shell has one .41 caliber slug and two .35 caliber buck shot.

My target is one playing card attached to the bottom of a frozen gallon jug of water.
    (1 gallon water = 8.35 lbs. and it`s 1 ft from bottom to cap and the bottom is 5"X5"....Poker cards are 2.5" × 3.5".) Fired from 24`.....

My test weapon was my little snake charmer (Rossi SS .410)....it has a 18.5 " barrel refitted with a 6 position adjustable ATI stock.

100_7022.JPG

The slug stopped at about 4.5" and of the two shot, one seemed to follow other to about 7" where they melded into one lump....my conclusion is this will make for a bad day for the bad guy!

Hornady CD 2 1/2" .410
    http://www.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

very nice patterns.
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  4. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

I fired 4 Federal .410 - 2.5" 000 from 14', I used my little 500 Mossberg Cruiser with a 18.5" barrel.
    These Federal have 4 - .36 cal pellets of copper plated 000 buckshot. My target was a 8" dirty bird that I managed get all 4 shots within 3". They penetrated 3" of wood, 1.5" paving stone and lodged in the backstop.....

[​IMG]

Last Spring I was cuttin` cards with the same Federal 000 fired from the same weapon and distance with about the same results....I had one with minor spread and the rest seem to follow each other down the same rabbit hole.

[​IMG]

It aint Science but it`s fun!
    Rossignol, Water Monkey and John A. like this.
  5. John A.

I sure like a .410 ga.
  6. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

Good video, and good photos too! Any of those look pretty good!
  7. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Winchester .410 Slug VS 8.35 lbs. of ice

This little shell has one Foster slug weighing 1/5 oz 92.8gr.

I used my Mossberg 500 Cruiser .410 pump with a 18.5" barrel fired it from 14'.

My target was a frozen gallon jug of water.
    (1 gallon water = 8.35 lbs. and with an ID of 5".)

[​IMG]

Winchester Technical Information
    Gauge/Bore: 410
    Shell Length: 2-1/2"
    Slug Type: Foster-Type
    Slug Weight: 1/5 oz

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1830 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 647 ft. lbs

I was able to recover most of the slug....

[​IMG]
    Rossignol likes this.
  8. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

I fired 4 Winchester #4 birdshot at a 8.35 lbs. of ice from 14'.....I used my Mossberg Cruiser - 18.5" barrel...

Just for grins I put some paper and I got about 5" spread at 15' just about every time...The folks at .410 Handguns - Guns and Ammunitions Tests with the same weapon and using Federal Premium got a 4 ¼" spread at 15'.

http://410handguns.com/mossberg_spd_text.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up close and personal this #4 birdshot will make the bad guy re-think some of his life choices....
    John A. likes this.
  9. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Brenneke Slug VS 8.35 lbs. of ice....

[​IMG]

I fired this little 1/4 oz slug from 14' using my Mossberg Cruiser - 18.5" barrel...

The slug hit just left of center and tracked down and to the left with just enough energy to bounce off the back stop and roll about 16'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rossignol and John A. like this.
  10. John A.

Looks like it flatted the little slug out pretty good.

I had some Rio 12 gauge Armored slugs similar to that.

The had some wicked effects on targets when I was testing them.

Rossignol and Elbert Garrett like this.
  11. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Great postings ! I really like 410 myself. Enjoy your work if i have another daughter get married may hire you as ice carver at a country wedding.
  12. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Just puttin` some on paper....

Winchester 000 - fired from 14' using a Mossberg Cruiser - 18.5" barrel...

[​IMG]
    Djcala likes this.
  13. John A.

I appreciate how you shoot multiple rounds into the target. That really gives a good overall idea of what to expect out of the shells at the distance you're shooting.

I've been very guilty of shooting once and then taking for granted that the rest of the shells are going to perform about the same as the one I just shot, but the real world doesn't always work that way. They could be about the same, a little worse, or even a little better.
    Djcala, Elbert Garrett and Rossignol like this.
  14. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

^^^true that. I have also in the past shot just once and been happy with that. It wasn't until I started using a choke that I fire a minimum of three.
  15. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .410

Old eyes are having a hard time picking up the front site so I`m giving this Sharpie paint pen a try. Under $3 at Walmart in the crafts section, the pen I picked is oil based white with a extra fine point.....I`ll put some on paper and report back.

100 (2).JPG
    100 (3).JPG
    Rossignol and Djcala like this.
  16. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

20170723_091119.jpg I feel your pain Elbert i have same issues. I was doing some experimenting couple weeks ago at pistol range i usually wear my shooting glasses i decided to put on my scrips WOW sights were amazing crystal clear But target was so dang blurry hard to pinpoint anything. Without scripts target clear as day but pistol site a blur damned if ya do do damned if ya dont. As for paint i bought a little bottle of the bright white testors in model section at hobby lobby it seems to work well.
    All that said i bet we still outshoot the young wipper snappers with theyre perfect vision, good ole experience counts too.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 10:13 AM
  17. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

I'm right with you there on the eyesight buddy. I've never had good eyes but the eye that used to be my good eye is now my bad eye.

I'm a better pistol shot with my right hand, but since my eyes went funny I'm a better shot with my left eye.

This makes for kind of a funny looking stance when I'm target shooting.
  18. John A.

Didn't know that Sharpie was making a paint pen.

I'll look for one next time I get near the craft section.
  19. Rossignol

For real, I could use that paint pen too!
  20. nitesite

nitesite Ammo Nerd Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

This is a really GREAT thread.

Thanks everyone!