In the barn....

Discussion in 'Photo And Video Gallery' started by Elbert Garrett, Jun 30, 2017.

1. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

It's still an Italian company right? They just have a factory here in America.

I'm pretty sure they're making "metric" Fiocchi's overseas.
  2. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

3. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

Multi-Defense Buck and Ball 2.75" shells with one .65 caliber lead ball, and six #1 buck pellets.

[​IMG]

I was using my Mav 88 with these buck and ball and they kick like a mule, more recoil than I comfortable with using a pistol grip and I have the Houge tamer and I still felt a little sting in the web of my hand. The #1 buck offered little or no spread at 16ft but what got my attention was the penetration of the .65 caliber lead ball.....it past through 5" of ice and 6 1/2" of treated wood and rolled to a stop between my backstop and barn wall, so I won`t be shooting these inside any longer. o_O

I would be comfortable enough to load these up and walk into the woods anywhere in the lower 48 and feel safe.

[​IMG]

Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to try one through my Winchester....still kicks like a mule but more controlable. This time the buck and ball cut a hole through 3 1/2" of treated wood and stopped in a paving stone.

100_7735.JPG 100_7737.JPG 100_7738.JPG
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Scoop likes this.
  4. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That's why I've been reloading my own lately.

Most of what I am loading, are on the lowbrass (weak) side by shotguns standards. ~1100 or thereabouts.

Still considering, putting a 1 ounce slug or nine 00 pellets is still much more damage to the target than what a whole cylinder full of 32acp, 38 special, and even some 357 will do out of a 5 inch barrel.

All the while, having hardly no kick at all, being able to stay on target for quick followups.

I don't feel outgunned.

But I hate getting kicked like a mule. I can't really handle that much any more. My uncle always called those kinds of loads: "kills on both ends".
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  5. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

The buck & ball loads that I made were .38 caliber balls and .25 caliber buck.

I wasn't thinking about stuffing .65 caliber balls in there!

Clearly I have some more reloading to do.
  6. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

Just a little Sunday fun.....

100_7762.JPG

Winchester #3 Buck from 21ft....all 20 pellets hit on the 8 1/2" target with a 6 1/2" spread.
  7. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

I put the orginal stock back on my Mav 88 this morning and ran some 8 shot through just for grins......

100_7770.JPG

I normally use a low recoil buckshot or #4 buck but up close and personal this birdshot will make an individual re-evaluate their decision making process.

100_7777.JPG
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  8. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

Always enjoy this thread.
  9. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

It's very interesting, because you get to see things that you don't see when you're the one pulling the trigger.
  10. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

A little Friday fun with the Mav 88...

I was working on controlled pairs from 14ft.
    I was getting about 2.5 seconds between shots and while keeping on center with about a 4" spread with this Winchester 00.

W2.JPG

W1.JPG
    CaddmannQ and Djcala like this.
  11. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

@Elbert Garrett
    How is your 88 setup ? Barrel length and choke ?
    I just saw pic 18" and IC ?
  12. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

It`s the Security 5 and 1 shot with a 18.5" barrel with a cylinder Bore....
    It will hold 6 and 1 of the NSI mini buck and 9 and 1 of the Aguila mini bucks using the OPSol adapter.
  13. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

:) The FedEx Man dropped off some of my new favorite buckshot yesterday....NSI 2 1/4" 6 pellet low recoil buckshot, I can get these delivered from Sportsman`s Guide for .81ยข a shell.

100_7812.JPG

So it`s time to poke some holes in paper and here is a free paper target...just click on and save. It will fill up a 8.5" X 11.0" sheet of copy paper and the average human head is 6 to 7 inches wide and 8 to 9 inches long.

full_prec_target.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 11:28 AM
  14. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

Controlled pairs from 14ft. using my Mav 88 and NSI 2 1/4" 6 pellet 00.

I was getting about 1.8 seconds between shots and getting all 12 pellets in a 4" spread.

100_7819.JPG
    Djcala likes this.
  15. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

Elbert your so angry first you hated ice now its poor wally cleaver feeling your wrath.
  16. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.....:)