• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Integral Mag Tube Flashlight

AutoEntropy

Copper BB
New forum member here!

I had an idea when I was cleaning my shotgun.

I have a mossberg 590a1 and the mag tube extends to the end of the barrel. What I want to find/make is a flashlight that fits into the mag tube and acts as the magazine cap on the end as well.

Does anybody know of anything like this or think it is possible?

I made a quick mockup.

2rfpu8p.jpg

Excited to be here. Thanks guys!

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us!

Intriguing idea, I'm tagging this thread to see the replies.

How would you turn it on/off?

nitesite said:
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us!

Intriguing idea, I'm tagging this thread to see the replies.

How would you turn it on/off?

I was thinking that you would need a flashlight that you twist on the end to turn it on and off like those tiny maglights.

I just dont want a flashlight dangling off the bottom or the side. It would be so cool for it to be a part of the gun.

The biggest drawback I see though is that you never want your hand anywhere near the muzzle of a loaded gun.

I think you would need to have a remote push button somewhere. In a HD situation you likely won't have time to turn the end of the flashlight and you will want to be able to turn it on and off quickly.

With the design it looks like you will be giving up a round or two in capacity, that will be a hard sell for many.

I have a light on my Glock that extends slightly past the barrel and I have to remove it or tape over the lense when practicing as the muzzle blast will coat it with residue pretty quickly if I am doing a lot of shooting.

Good luck with the design.

MikeD said:
I think you would need to have a remote push button somewhere. In a HD situation you likely won't have time to turn the end of the flashlight and you will want to be able to turn it on and off quickly.

With the design it looks like you will be giving up a round or two in capacity, that will be a hard sell for many.

Howdy AutoEntropy and welcome to the club.

That is an interesting idea. I'm with Mike on his comments...Definitely a remote on/off button...

Is it possible to find a shorter length flash light that's still just as bright as the normal size?

ripjack13 said:
MikeD said:

Howdy AutoEntropy and welcome to the club.

That is an interesting idea. I'm with Mike on his comments...Definitely a remote on/off button...

Is it possible to find a shorter length flash light that's still just as bright as the normal size?

Not sure about the flashlight. I haven't even looked for one that would fit. I am going to start looking into it today. I think one that twists on the top would be fine for my needs.

ripjack13 said:
http://www.galls.com/CGI/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=FH057

How about this one? it's fairly short....1"x 3-3/10"

That is a bit pricey! I am going to measure the magazine cap right now. Ill check out some other lights and figure out. To the hardware store I go! :mrgreen:

Just be aware that many flashlights cannot stand up to the recil of a shotgun. Weapon lights are designed to handle the shock.

Back