• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interchangability

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
We've had some questions recently about what from what fits on what? Follow?

Ok, for example, a stock from an 835 will fit on a 500. A 500 pistol grip works on an 835. Some barrels will fit more than one model. For the most part, 500's and 590's are interchangable, but not barrels and mag tubes with the 590 rings and mag tube cap.

Anyone got anything they wanna add? We can start putting pics up as needed?

A 590 mag tube will work on a 500. Then, you can build a "poor man's" 590 on the 500 receiver. A new 500 is about $200 less than a 590.

gumbydammit said:
A 590 mag tube will work on a 500. Then, you can build a "poor man's" 590 on the 500 receiver. A new 500 is about $200 less than a 590.

Yes! I was trying to think of how to say that so it made more sense. The barrel of a 500 wont work with a 590 mag tube though, or vise versa.

Rossignol said:
We've had some questions recently about what from what fits on what?

I saw a Mossberg maverick 88 where the owner installed a 590A1 mag tube and heavy barrel. The owner wanted the safety down on the trigger guard which only the Maverick 88 has, so then bought the 590A1 mag tube and heavy barrel.

All the Mossy 500 series pump shotguns use the same buttstock. That's the Mav 88 and Mav 91, the Mossy 500, the 535, the 590, the 590a1 (both 5+1 and 8+1), the old model 600, and the 835.

All of those also use the same style forearm hardware and all are interchangeable. The Mav 88 and 91, though, use riveted/pinned one piece forearms where the action bars are pinned to the solid forearm plastic....the others use a steel action slide tube that the forearm plastic/wood is slipped onto. To use a Mossy 500 forearm on a Mav 88, you thus need to replace the Mav one piece with a Mossy 500 steel action slide tube. On the same point, though, some tactical Mossy's, the ones that come with factory plastic, are sometimes showing up with Mav one piece forearms these days.

The innards of a 500, a Mav 88, the 590 and 590a1 are all identical and can be swapped at will. The extended chamber guns, the Mav 91, the Mossy 535 and the 835, however, use stretched parts so only those can be subbed for those.

Mag tubes and barrels; All Mossy and Mav mag tubes come in two basic flavors; the solid take down screw tube 5+1 500 and the cap tube on the 590a1 and the 835. All the solids are interchangeable within their capacities and all the cap tubes are interchangeable within their capacities. You can use a basic 500 solid screw mag tube on the Mav 88, the 500, the 5+1 Persuader etc. You can use the 835 cap tube mag and barrels on the 835, the 5+1 590a1, the 5+1 capped Cruiser etc. The dif mag tubes can be freely interchanged between all the models as long as you switch to the appropriate barrel thus the 590a1 barrel and capped mag tube can be used on a Mav 88 as Pilot mentioned. If you have an 835 and want to make it into a great tactical/home defense gun, the barrel off the 590a1 5+1 fits it as is and a 500 tube and barrel combo fit it as well....and the 590a1 and the 835 (capped tubes) can use mag tube extensions.

The trigger groups are all the same basic part between all those guns, the Mossys have the safety built into the receiver while the Mavericks have the safety on the trigger group itself, and all except the Mav 91, the Mossy 535 and 835 are interchangeable. A Maverick 88 (trigger guard safety) can be used in a Mossy 500 and the trigger group safety will work just fine....but if you use a 500 trigger group with no safety in a Mav 88 receiver, you'll have no working safety. Some sporting shooters used to trigger group safeties and some tactical shooters who use pistol grips on their 500's have switched to Mav 88 trigger groups in their guns just for the safety. You can buy self adhesive aluminum blanks that take the place of the original 500 receiver safety to cover the hole.

Did I miss anything?

Be safe.

rich

oli700 said:
RichardL said:
Did I miss anything?

A partridge and a pear tree ?

:lol: I had to go back and read that post a time or two to catch it all, but great info oli! As long as you stay within the same gauge, does this still apply for 20 gauge models?

Oh dude, you want to thank Rich I could never recite that book…..cool though I only know that much about dirtbikes/quads and forest fires.... :lol:

RichardL said:
All the Mossy 500 series pump shotguns use the same buttstock. That's the Mav 88 and Mav 91, the Mossy 500, the 535, the 590, the 590a1 (both 5+1 and 8+1), the old model 600, and the 835.

All of those also use the same style forearm hardware and all are interchangeable. The Mav 88 and 91, though, use riveted/pinned one piece forearms where the action bars are pinned to the solid forearm plastic....the others use a steel action slide tube that the forearm plastic/wood is slipped onto. To use a Mossy 500 forearm on a Mav 88, you thus need to replace the Mav one piece with a Mossy 500 steel action slide tube. On the same point, though, some tactical Mossy's, the ones that come with factory plastic, are sometimes showing up with Mav one piece forearms these days.

The innards of a 500, a Mav 88, the 590 and 590a1 are all identical and can be swapped at will. The extended chamber guns, the Mav 91, the Mossy 535 and the 835, however, use stretched parts so only those can be subbed for those.

Mag tubes and barrels; All Mossy and Mav mag tubes come in two basic flavors; the solid take down screw tube 5+1 500 and the cap tube on the 590a1 and the 835. All the solids are interchangeable within their capacities and all the cap tubes are interchangeable within their capacities. You can use a basic 500 solid screw mag tube on the Mav 88, the 500, the 5+1 Persuader etc. You can use the 835 cap tube mag and barrels on the 835, the 5+1 590a1, the 5+1 capped Cruiser etc. The dif mag tubes can be freely interchanged between all the models as long as you switch to the appropriate barrel thus the 590a1 barrel and capped mag tube can be used on a Mav 88 as Pilot mentioned. If you have an 835 and want to make it into a great tactical/home defense gun, the barrel off the 590a1 5+1 fits it as is and a 500 tube and barrel combo fit it as well....and the 590a1 and the 835 (capped tubes) can use mag tube extensions.

The trigger groups are all the same basic part between all those guns, the Mossys have the safety built into the receiver while the Mavericks have the safety on the trigger group itself, and all except the Mav 91, the Mossy 535 and 835 are interchangeable. A Maverick 88 (trigger guard safety) can be used in a Mossy 500 and the trigger group safety will work just fine....but if you use a 500 trigger group with no safety in a Mav 88 receiver, you'll have no working safety. Some sporting shooters used to trigger group safeties and some tactical shooters who use pistol grips on their 500's have switched to Mav 88 trigger groups in their guns just for the safety. You can buy self adhesive aluminum blanks that take the place of the original 500 receiver safety to cover the hole.

Did I miss anything?

Be safe.

rich

Interesting, wonder where I can find a mav 88 trigger group with the safety? Id rather have the safety there than on the top of the gun.

OK, can someone answer this?

Why are some mossberg 500 forends longer than others?

The one I have is 6 3/4" (short version). And others are 7 3/4 (long)

Aside from having different sizes to begin with, can someone answer which ones (years, models, etc) are what version?

And why?

On the subject of the maverick trigger assembly, will the 88 trigger/bar safety assembly drop into a 500? If so, where would I be able to find one? Because my safety hasn't worked in years. it will fire whether on safe or fire.

Plus I want to put a high tube mesa buttstock on the gun that would cover up the safety anyway, so if there's a way to replace the whole trigger assembly out with one that has a bar safety, that would be ideal.

John, Havlin may know better about the forend lengths. If I'm able, I'll give them a call!

RichardL said:
The innards of a 500, a Mav 88, the 590 and 590a1 are all identical and can be swapped at will.

Might wanna double check that. Havlins told me there were four major components changed over the years, regarding the 500, so internal components werent all interchangeable.

I had problems with the trigger group of my 500 goin into my 590A1... no idea why.

tnxdshooter said:
RichardL said:

Did I miss anything?

Be safe.

rich

Interesting, wonder where I can find a mav 88 trigger group with the safety? Id rather have the safety there than on the top of the gun.

Everything I have been reading says you cannot use a mav 88 trigger group in a 500. Heck the mav 88 are only 189.99 at academy. Buy one put the black ops knoxx black hawk pistol grip on it, my 18.5 inch barrel with ghost ring on it, and have the receiver drilled and tapped and put the rear ghost ring on it. WHY DIDNT I think about that to begin with?

tnxdshooter said:
tnxdshooter said:
RichardL said:

Did I miss anything?

Be safe.

rich

Everything I have been reading says you cannot use a mav 88 trigger group in a 500. Heck the mav 88 are only 189.99 at academy. Buy one put the black ops knoxx black hawk pistol grip on it, my 18.5 inch barrel with ghost ring on it, and have the receiver drilled and tapped and put the rear ghost ring on it. WHY DIDNT I think about that to begin with?

I may seriously think about getting a mav 88 and doing this and see which I like better and if I like the mav 88 better then I can sell the 500.

Cheaper still, than having the receiver drilled and tapped by a gunsmith is an Aimtech saddle mount rail. Have one on my 88.

Pilot said:
Rossignol said:
We've had some questions recently about what from what fits on what?

I saw a Mossberg maverick 88 where the owner installed a 590A1 mag tube and heavy barrel. The owner wanted the safety down on the trigger guard which only the Maverick 88 has, so then bought the 590A1 mag tube and heavy barrel.
wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to buy the 590A1 and swap the trigger group with a Maverick? Same same on innards so its just a drop in replacement. Just remember to keep the factory safety turned off on the receiver.

I started with my Mav-88 for $188 got 40 dollars to boot on swapping the 28 inch barrel for a 18-1/2 inch cylinder bore at the gun show in Cow Town. I didn't know a thing about the pump at that time. The rest of my life was with lever, bolt and semi-automatics. I'm adding my bling as my better half calls it, a little at a time.

Really nice to know about the interchangeable components.

nasa said:
I started with my Mav-88 for $188 got 40 dollars to boot on swapping the 28 inch barrel for a 18-1/2 inch cylinder bore at the gun show in Cow Town. I didn't know a thing about the pump at that time. The rest of my life was with lever, bolt and semi-automatics. I'm adding my bling as my better half calls it, a little at a time.

Really nice to know about the interchangeable components.

Yup, I hear you I can't wait to finish rocking out the Mossberg 500.

Did I miss anything?

Be safe.

rich
"You can buy self adhesive aluminum blanks that take the place of the original 500 receiver safety to cover the hole."
Where would I find these blanks. I know this is an old thread but its new to me. I am running a 500 receiver with a Maverick 88 cross bolt safety.

Back