• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interested in a Scout....

What Scout Rifle would you choose?

• Total voters
I received the Davidson's notice today as well but have decided on chasing after the Savage 14 offering once available.

sorry Mossberg fans......RUGER all the way on this one
Blasphemy! ;)

kidding of course, the GSR is pretty damn nice and tried 'n true reliability. I like the new SS finish too.

I received the Davidson's notice today as well but have decided on chasing after the Savage 14 offering once available.
Are you talking about the 14/114 American Classic? Or maybe their 11 Scout that was recently announced?

Are you talking about the 14/114 American Classic? Or maybe their 11 Scout that was recently announced?
Sorry about that, my mistake the 11 Scout...

file.php

I was also looking at a 14 American Classic for another application and that just came right out off of my fingers. I do own the 10 FCM Scout and think it to be an outstanding rifle even with the short magazine limitation. It is by far the most accurate rifle I've shot and that causes me to want to stick with the Savage product.

Well.. I bought my 308 today. It is a like new 10 FCM Scout for $450. In that I like my 10 FCM 7.62x39 so well, I figured I just could not pass on the rifle especially at the offered price. I know it doesn't have the tactical features of the Savage 11 but my interest is in the scouts are as hunting rifles.

I hoped I would get a chance to look at a Patriot Bantam in walnut but they seem to be something that is coming later in the lineup.

Nice @Ranch Dog!!! That's a good deal, and sounds like you've got a good relationship with the 10 FCM family - I just hope the x39 doesn't get jealous that you're seeing the older sister :p

I just ordered an MVP Scout :D....sold some truck parts this week and found one for $550 shipped to my local FFL guy (+$10 for the transfer).

Looking forward to putting it through the paces, but it might be a few weeks before I can make it to the range (I also fractured my "good" hand this weekend :()

It's like X-Mas!!!

I picked up the Scout from my FFL this morning, and also received the case and addtl. mags I ordered.

I will be able to do a thorough inspection and tear-down tonight after work....and maybe post some pics :)

lol, touché WM...I stayed out pretty late, and was up 'till about 3:00 am playing around with it (hope I don't go blind ;))

Overall, I love size, look, and feel of the Scout. It feels solid in my shoulder and my cheekweld lines up well with the sights and scope (UTG 3-9x32), but I might add a riser down the road. The bolt is a little rough and gritty, but that should smooth out over time and with a good cleaning - it feels easy and natural to extract and feed - there are just some areas that need polishing and attention.

Encountered a few problems right out of the box, but I am already in discussion with Joseph @ Maverick to resolve.
  • There was no sling in the box, nor was there a threaded cap for the muzzle - Joseph is sending replacements for those items
  • The bolt has some marring and bad machine-work on one of the feed "nubs" (see picture)
  • The mag release lever system is f*cked (pardon my French) :(
    1. The lever itself is either bent or slightly curved which does not allow it to move freely/unobstructed without catching on the poly channel it sits in. This causes it to "stick" on the side-latch (for DPMS/SR25 mags) after depressing the lever, meaning the mag will not lock in place unless you push the mag release lever forward to force the latch out.
    2. With the magwell seated in place, depressing the release does not put enough pressure on the forward latch (M1A-style mags). I pushed as hard as I could and it would not release the latch. I removed the magwell and thoroughly inspected the whole release/latch system - which is a fairly simple design, but requires exact tolerances to work correctly. With the magwell removed, the mag release lever itself can be depressed even further and the forward latch functions properly - but this causes the lever to protrude too far out (on the side).

This explains what it happening - the lever is hitting the inside "channel" of the body before reaching full depression, so it does not release the forward latch. I will be taking more pictures and possibly a video, and provide the info. to Joseph/Mossberg for review and hope they can send a different mag release and/or magwell to try.

Snapped a few "beauty pics" this morning. She sure is purdy :D
20150509_094045%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_094543%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_094648%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_095327%20%282%29.jpg

Bolt Feed "Nub"
20150509_024905%20%282%29.jpg

I won't be able to take it to range for at least 2 more weeks, until my hand is healed, so I have time to wait and make sure any little issues are (hopefully) resolved. Due to the mag release issue, I wasn't able to (fully) test which mags fit the best, but initial fitment proved that the CMI M1A mag fit perfectly with absolutely no wobble. Pmag was the least stable, with front/back wobble - but that should not affect feeding.

I will be taking more pictures and possibly a video of the mag-release problems to provide to Joseph/Mossberg for review; I'm hoping they can at least send a replacement Mag Release Lever and/or magwell to see if that resolves the magazine problem, but I may have to send the bolt in for inspection if they opt to replace that.

I also plan on installing a CHP Extended release when those are ready, so I am not too disheartened by this problem -- as long as it is not symptomatic of a bigger underlying issue.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle, and I realize that Mossberg can be hit-or-miss in the Quality Control Dept.....they like to keep us on our toes :cool:

Last edited:
Joe was out of the office yesterday and today, so I haven't heard back how they want to handle the problems I encountered. I will likely have to send the Scout back to them for inspection/repair, but we'll see.

I'll keep you guys posted on the status/outcome, but rest assured I will do a full write-up and range report once I get the chance to take 'er out for some action! :)

Busy ATM but I skimmed. Wtf is going on at mossbergs QC. I'd tape that bolt to my shin and round house the QC dept in the face... Chuck Norris style.

Lol, nice! I'm trying to take it all in stride, but I think that's because I physically can't go shooting right now. I'm hoping to hear back from Joe tomorrow when he is back in the office.

If anything, I want my "issues" to prevent any future mis-haps and hopefully hold the Q/C Dept. more accountable to do their job (correctly).

Seriously though, I love this rifle!!! :D:D:D

lol, touché WM...I stayed out pretty late, and was up 'till about 3:00 am playing around with it (hope I don't go blind ;))

Overall, I love size, look, and feel of the Scout. It feels solid in my shoulder and my cheekweld lines up well with the sights and scope (UTG 3-9x32), but I might add a riser down the road. The bolt is a little rough and gritty, but that should smooth out over time and with a good cleaning - it feels easy and natural to extract and feed - there are just some areas that need polishing and attention.

Encountered a few problems right out of the box, but I am already in discussion with Joseph @ Maverick to resolve.
  • There was no sling in the box, nor was there a threaded cap for the muzzle - Joseph is sending replacements for those items
  • The bolt has some marring and bad machine-work on one of the feed "nubs" (see picture)
  • The mag release lever system is f*cked (pardon my French) :(
    1. The lever itself is either bent or slightly curved which does not allow it to move freely/unobstructed without catching on the poly channel it sits in. This causes it to "stick" on the side-latch (for DPMS/SR25 mags) after depressing the lever, meaning the mag will not lock in place unless you push the mag release lever forward to force the latch out.
    2. With the magwell seated in place, depressing the release does not put enough pressure on the forward latch (M1A-style mags). I pushed as hard as I could and it would not release the latch. I removed the magwell and thoroughly inspected the whole release/latch system - which is a fairly simple design, but requires exact tolerances to work correctly. With the magwell removed, the mag release lever itself can be depressed even further and the forward latch functions properly - but this causes the lever to protrude too far out (on the side).

This explains what it happening - the lever is hitting the inside "channel" of the body before reaching full depression, so it does not release the forward latch. I will be taking more pictures and possibly a video, and provide the info. to Joseph/Mossberg for review and hope they can send a different mag release and/or magwell to try.

Snapped a few "beauty pics" this morning. She sure is purdy :D
20150509_094045%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_094543%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_094648%20%282%29.jpg

20150509_095327%20%282%29.jpg

Bolt Feed "Nub"
20150509_024905%20%282%29.jpg

I won't be able to take it to range for at least 2 more weeks, until my hand is healed, so I have time to wait and make sure any little issues are (hopefully) resolved. Due to the mag release issue, I wasn't able to (fully) test which mags fit the best, but initial fitment proved that the CMI M1A mag fit perfectly with absolutely no wobble. Pmag was the least stable, with front/back wobble - but that should not affect feeding.

I will be taking more pictures and possibly a video of the mag-release problems to provide to Joseph/Mossberg for review; I'm hoping they can at least send a replacement Mag Release Lever and/or magwell to see if that resolves the magazine problem, but I may have to send the bolt in for inspection if they opt to replace that.

I also plan on installing a CHP Extended release when those are ready, so I am not too disheartened by this problem -- as long as it is not symptomatic of a bigger underlying issue.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle, and I realize that Mossberg can be hit-or-miss in the Quality Control Dept.....they like to keep us on our toes :cool:
Too bad about the problems , I really like the rifle though, hope it's a shooter!

Thanks oli, me too! All in all, it has potential to be a very solid setup (for me). I love everything about it, just trying to be patient and optimistic :)

Thanks oli, me too! All in all, it has potential to be a very solid setup (for me). I love everything about it, just trying to be patient and optimistic :)
nice, now that I see yours, I think it looks better than the Ruger.

Just looks like a super handy package

My Scout was sent back to OFM on Wed. for repairs. Hope it's only 1-2 week turnaround....I REALLY want to test it out :cool:

Back