• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interested in a Scout....

What Scout Rifle would you choose?

• Total voters
I'm extremely bias to the MVP only because I'm a Mossberg fanboy through and through haha... I almost traded my AR15 for one but the dude kind of failed to tell me he sprayed it down with krylon... Lol

Fantastic rifle though, a few guys at work have them and love them.

I'm hoping it turns out to be a great rifle for me! I'm really giving OFM the benefit of the doubt on this one, and so far Joe Zakher has been great to deal with.

I heard from another (new) MVP Scout owner that he had a bad bolt sent with his rifle. He was also asked to send it back for repairs, and suggested I mention the bolt "design flaw" as well, so they can inspect/replace mine while they have it.

Issues to look into:

1. Mag release lever
1. A - It will not release M1A-style mags. The lever cannot be depressed enough to release the forward latch, unless the magwell is removed from the body.
1. B - It will not engage the side-latch for DPMS/SR25-style (AR10) mags. This is due to the lever "catching" in the channel and not fully seating to engage the side-latch.​
2. Bolt Machining & Body/Sleeve union
2. A - The bolt has some marring and gouges on one of the feed bumps.
2. B - I want to make sure the body/sleeve union are either threaded or soldered to ensure they do not have any separation problems (as my buddy experienced in the pic)
image.jpg1_zpsvsdgi1du.jpg
3. Missing Components
3. A - The Sling was not included in the box
3. B - The Threaded "Muzzle Cap" was not included​

Dude, Joe is the man! It's been many moons since I have talked to him, but he always had an answer in a more than timely fashion!

I just received a message from my G/F saying FedEx just dropped it off at my house, so I will be able to tear it down tonight and see if everything is "fixed". Fingers Crossed! :D

Well, I can say that they fixed the issues 100% :D
  • The mag well and lever were replaced and function perfectly now with all the magazines I've tried.
  • The bolt was re-built and the feed bump was machined/refinished so it is nice and smooth now.
  • The press-fitting appears to be solid and true. I didn't yank on it (too hard) but I put some stank on it and it feels nice 'n solid.
  • Overall, the entire bolt action seems much smoother now :)
One thing to note - I still haven't received the Sling or Threaded Muzzle Cap as of yet. This is a (very) minor annoyance, but I still sent Joe a msg to let him know.

I am gonna be pretty busy this evening and tomorrow, but I will take some updated pics and try to get out ASAP to get it zero'd in.

Sorry about that, my mistake the 11 Scout...

file.php

I was also looking at a 14 American Classic for another application and that just came right out off of my fingers. I do own the 10 FCM Scout and think it to be an outstanding rifle even with the short magazine limitation. It is by far the most accurate rifle I've shot and that causes me to want to stick with the Savage product.
I see the the Savage 11 Scouts are now listed on gunbroker for a "Buy Now" of $600 plus $25 for shipping. That is better than I expected.

That is a good price! Thanks for the update! :)

I also noticed Ruger has dropped the price on the (newer) GSR models. I've seen the Synthetic Black .308 (Model #6830) as low as $650, and the Stainless (Model #6829) down to $740. I'm glad Mossberg (and Joe Zakher) was able to fix my new Scout - I was starting to get buyer's remorse and regretting not getting the GSR or Savage.
http://grabagun.com/ruger-6830-m77gs-308-gunst-sct-mtblk.html

I am gonna get out to break-in the Scout this weekend, so I'm hoping I made a good choice.

The main advantage to the Ruger is the forward scope mount and Mauser type extractor.

If you dont care about that, then any of the others should be OK as long as they function 100%.

Being able to use M14 magazines would be an advantage. Adding a forward scope mount and backup peep might be an ideal situation.

The MVP Scout does have a full length (forward) rail and rear ghost ring.
27778-media-1920x540.jpg

The Patrol has the rear rail and forward mounted sight.
27738-media-1920x510.jpg

Update on my Scout:

The action is very smooth since getting it back. It cycles perfectly from all the magazines I tried - with the exception of the ProMag which was poorly constructed and immediately went back to Midway to exchange for a PMag instead.

• The PMag has a little slop front to back, but it does not affect cycling at all. The rigid polymer construction make this a great match for the Scout.
  • The CMI mag fits the best, hands down. It feels solid with no wobble in any direction. My only gripe is the little "shoulder" that locks the bolt back when empty (I may see if I can take care of that with my dremel).
  • The "stock" Mossberg mag fit snug, with minimal side to side wobble, but the overall construction was last in line comparatively.
I also got an "Atlas" bipod that I want to add on the front. I'm going to throw a matching 5 slot moe rail on the bottom, using the sling mount as one anchor point and an anchored ezlok insert for the front screw.

I got called out for a SAR mission yesterday, so I can't get out with it until next weekend :(

Last night I was able to add the extra front rail for the bipod. I wanted to keep the existing sling mount, but I didn't want to buy one of the adapter (mainly because I'm cheap, but I also do not like the design of most styles).

I had a 5-slot MOE rail already, and had the idea to use the existing sling stud as the rear anchor and using a 10-32" EZ-LOK press insert for the front anchor with a 3/8" 10-32 button cap screw. I called EZ-LOK, and they were generous enough to send a "sample" of the insert I was interested in, so I got (4) of them sent to me for FREE!!! :) I'm pretty stocked how it turned out, and when all was said and done, I had a functional front rail for the bipod and still retained my sling mount - all for under $5!!!

I also added (3) fiber washers under the sling stud to make sit slightly higher
ACtC-3fgp4Qq93j3LKbaYYfxfsuB7hTmXs-eRECZlp-yoY-h-2jM0rfftO_cGTe5nIE0VlqxZo7VpgNZFuK860L2_YVPNyAWCcMxPMIWeQIQJLx40hnMti_krdGghl3d6mCq6LYIVtRYTCrK4yKUDoVujCmMkw=w640-h360-no

I had to drill a 1/4" hole up front, with a depth of 1/4" (I used a drill press to make it easier, but the bit walked slightly so it is <1mm off center :confused:).
ACtC-3f1LlL8CwQnqE9-Fatqavwp_Pha8mObEOk1vDK2hGkd2OUCnZGnm97B5Bvp83MOI81vZzGB8BCi7zZBHtKkkkXsQVfC8rlAZ3ewFFlP_jzqP4hCLPrME5_YQw1QOdslRa8TqZ2rkjl17OXgkeBVkImotw=w640-h342-no

ACtC-3eVALge-40PSMBS0zh-ItWPYv5YNd4GYlwXdXK81QOplvKx8iplgzq_bpdlMFILwndF8Pc02LkYiEXmjX6fSAynRTy4JmIwgcYhXXlx07ypzn13mgfFJk9yzg34umOeyxqeepQY2RrorLWc2Kot_H-3Pw=w640-h426-no

After doing a test-fit, I "painted" some clear epoxy on the sling screw and the front press insert to ensure a solid and secure attachment. I also had to modify the MOE rail by grinding the last rail slot flat. This allowed the sling to rotate (backward) freely and also enabled it to be removed easily, otherwise the sling would hit the rail and not be removable or free moving (front/back).
ACtC-3ehImQybuQ4n1fMndS5imuJnN-fUYEoAC7TgUWHnNS5A9_DWm89-amkBEy5cJ-pVcek4AfdcYf24EDOdxoj9-Mimy4OEvq75d4sjgxDdxQdkcUjpH9u3GmgFawWlFhWDp5lnR-1wUjtgc2jTD5yyETM-A=w640-h233-no

ACtC-3cItTtbZ_JZYtF9suPeJIPLvq1gdrWP4BzTEdyHz11YeV1thG30rfy9DqNfH6ZF4be7W0I1TGdSAjDTpBbTLut6Q-b4c4qdRkKSRdmvnpWWgnagWikI811jT9zeR2M3rfDCThRg2Aj6u96jo3CuQuLrJg=w640-h197-no

ACtC-3dH_bRZ3plxIVs5C6Tw-go7YMxOeoBobHy2rTQrsbbWNaPUxxMaNQ0ncGP2fdFlnlp0Y7iA4Cca_RduxzT4pb2FGHqGp9XIvdFW71MQCZqWNyHPEWPaFlVCdbKDzGIePxk3LeN5VJxWoMd0ZAyvtNS1zQ=w640-h360-no

Drilling the front hole came close to penetrating through, but did not.
ACtC-3cJ0RGb2qBidkj39IJEeQvHmDYN5C5z262mX4f52Uwis6GZNmT2tPbGgPBQ4-TFi4uPbKcSJu3FIlDTBGTm5KSUK-3JE9mK7pfZnz7bxzL1D0noFQGeT8KuL8zXlXTvx7k5aNb6EorE_kqU2TnK1GjQNg=w640-h268-no

Finished Product!
ACtC-3cLuqqUbjF0CM-ilbYL6uiZcqhTFWu_xWjcKu9nWgKc81yudPbA9fL5u1cH0W9kHHSTThldSUppHPTPXljZlOhD387sYraKY7KjGZSWO-QapcFTlbcwQKlYMefLOdtTH4QbkepRb7rKkYXwTZfqxEeeKQ=w640-h382-no
ACtC-3fgiTiJLqURjZUv-dusVg5_MShluvcWsiXmPwVCwGhFXcizmzjmWYjF44FLojSfVSAaNJL78n11f6e0qNzjuvAPeHHmtwF32AQuoDZ37Ujctu-eWIvxUFCEBT101LupncqAj1v5okm_JTJ4YaTXm_13bQ=w1872-h937-no
ACtC-3fiKTdpUuXKCnWIsWz5HrrbXATQSEW6AzdUjCzxLoI2AQbsxVrs5sfr6segT-FSlihGAmP8dwJ_QCg3EwlrgcFBRajGhMM_38xHlhJuB69fe836DuAMKBH5-kuuXJwAd5FhMis0OuL9xL6HK1BmyuRLQA=w1920-h920-no
ACtC-3cK0Zbbwtu5efySLJjrAyvZjUsd8njkeTR365dwDLibCYs5DO2Rcla9sAry0A4yYREhKPzmZlwxVO8oLaEFUMlPYdFEgkRFMOwzu_SrrR5ZOAOPPqoWQC8f6GeZQdQxQYkQfxsd4QyqeWvQHNMKU_PvEw=w1666-h937-no

ACtC-3djZ3wUWhRlnpczXPIsY4C8cf1XHI6VAdzeX8J4rYCx61-7xmoYIkPA7BP9x9gcJOl7m3u6-AZZq63k2ktlbqmrbF6-9dtUpbV-Aqt7RxZSPMBYD2ceulQTbDndt0LSrHpTF4i-0Gw5AQ-W0NUC1ln7ag=w1666-h937-no

Can't wait to take it out next Saturday to finally get it zero'd in and get some different groups. My buddy is gonna let me use his property, so I will be able to spend a good amount of time testing it out; plus we can test longer distances than my local range (he said we can go out to 500yds :)).

We might set up a small Run & Gun course, so I will be bringing the XDm and 930spx to play with as well.

Gonna be awesome, I'm REALLLLY looking forward to it! :D

Last edited:
Nicely done!

...and how're you liking the Atlas? Been running them on my bench rigs for several years and they're worth every penny in my book...

Love the Atlas - I think it is one of the best designs out there!

Adjustable leg height, leg position, cant and pivot combined with the ADM qd mount make for a winning combination in my opinion! :)

Back