• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interesting training writeup

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/03/index.html

the second article down, shotgun gunfighting by Upchurch

One thing I noted is they tend to do a lot of dryfiring, even at the range. No need to waste ammo and make a lot of noise. Some things should be practiced first without the recoil, etc.

Also sounds like magazine tubes need to be put in with the right strength of Locktight.

I respect the training but disagree with this statement “While I’m not particularly fond of the Big Dot on rifles and pistols, due to their lack of precision, I really do like this sight on a shotgun. You’re not giving up precision because with a shotgun, there’s not really a lot of precision to give up.”

Not trying to toot my own horn but I am a surgeon inside the yardage these boys are working in. I haven’t had training like this but have shot all my life, shot to eat literally at moments in my early life all moving “targets” shot lots and lots of practice round but since this guy is a “guru” tons of people will take that statement into account [end rant]

oli700 said:
I respect the training but disagree with this statement “While I’m not particularly fond of the Big Dot on rifles and pistols, due to their lack of precision, I really do like this sight on a shotgun. You’re not giving up precision because with a shotgun, there’s not really a lot of precision to give up.”

Not trying to toot my own horn but I am a surgeon inside the yardage these boys are working in. I haven’t had training like this but have shot all my life, shot to eat literally at moments in my early life all moving “targets” shot lots and lots of practice round but since this guy is a “guru” tons of people will take that statement into account [end rant]

oli, I totally agree with this. Lots of good reads out there, but often excerpts like the one you pointed out that just dont jive. Among the ammo testing we've been doing on here, I feel comfortable saying the shotgun most definitely can be a precise firearm, even with buckshot. 100 and sometimes 200 yard shots with rifled slugs are becoming common.

Good read though never the less. I always enjoy things like this!

Back