1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Iron sights

Discussion in 'Mossberg Patriot Bolt Action' started by lonestarjeff, Jun 29, 2018.

1. lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff .410 Supporter

Spent a little time over on the 464 forum the last couple of years, but I just ordered a 30-06 Patriot with iron sights which brings me over here. I'm a fan of the older calibers, plus we have wild hogs invading lately....okay, the truth is I've never owned a bolt gun(unless you count my dad's old Mossy 12ga)& the patriot looks like the best value out there(we really do have hogs invading, though).

Can't wait to get it in my hands & out to the range. I have a couple of suitable scopes for it, but I am attracted to the looks of the old iron sights on a bolt gun(amazing how few models come with'em anymore). Having said that, my eyes aren't what they used to be & I found installing a peep sight on my 464 a good choice for short range brush hunting. I was wondering if anyone has tried installing a peep on their Patriot? Are the iron sights models predrilled & tapped for scope mounts also?

Jeff

P.S. Here's the peep on my 464....

[​IMG]
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. lonestarjeff

My 30-06 patriot arrived & it's a really a great looker. I put a basic GI-type cotton web sling on it & can't wait to take out to the farm. I may rethink the peep sight idea because I like the set of Williams iron sights way more than I expected. We'll see if I still do at 50 & 100yds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....also, Mossberg does drill & tap the iron sight model of the Patriot.
  3. lonestarjeff

Still considering a peep for the Patriot, even though the Williams open U-sight looks pretty good to my eye. From what I can pickup on previous posts the hole spacing for the Patriot's scope mounts is patterned on the Remington 700. Not certain about the receiver top radius or the height matching up properly with the front firesight, though. I may order a Williams WGRS-700 & see how it goes.

https://williamsgunsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1451-2-300x300.jpg

[​IMG]
  4. lonestarjeff

[​IMG] Ordered the Williams Peep from Midway(they just got some in), & a Fire Sight hood for the front site(not certain it will fit, but it's supposed to be a press fit).
  5. lonestarjeff

Here's the Williams peep sight installed...
    [​IMG]
  6. lonestarjeff

7. lonestarjeff

8. lonestarjeff