• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

is 200 worth a 15" sbs mossberg

Thinking about getting a tax stamp for a. Sbs but I don't know if I want to bother with shortning the mag tube or just takeing it down to 15 ”

Whatever you do, post pics. We can't have SBS/SBR's here in MI so I have to live vicariously through those that do. LOL

My honest opinion is no.

What is the reason for shortening the barrel in the first place? One of your options reduces the mag capacity and the other only removes a couple inches of barrel. Is there a particular aspect of the gun's performance you're trying to enhance? Just curious.

On the other hand, it's your baby and you should do whatever makes you happy.

I'm with Lazy. For $300 more than the $200 you're paying for the stamp, you could have 45 caliber Glock, XD, or M&P pistol on your hip. Or a 9mm if you want 17 or more shots in a pistol, or a .40 if you want to split the difference. Going with a 12inch LOP stock, and a pistol is how I'd spend my money.

ernestrincon said:
Thinking about getting a tax stamp for a. Sbs but I don't know if I want to bother with shortning the mag tube or just takeing it down to 15 ”

I would personally just shorten it to the mag lug so I didn't reduce the capacity. But that's just me.

I look forward to seeing it completed.

agreed...if you want something short get a handgun...there's plenty of options under $500 in just about any caliber...if you cut down to 15" you'll lose capacity if you make the tubes the same length and shotguns are already lower on the capacity rung...if there's a practical reason for shortening your barrel so much then go with it but i can clear my house just fine with my 20" and i have a long narrow hallway with plenty of doors...

I personally wouldnt spend $200 to shorten my gun a few inches.

But as always, its yours man, do with it what you like! ;)

Can you carry said shotgun where you live?

I would be more apt to do it if I could carry it.

Huh…..only you can answer that question. Obviously a few members wouldn’t do it with their $200 and a couple would cough up an additional $300 for a pistol … If you have the 200 sitting around go for it. If your looking for best bang for the buck, go for it lol. I would opt to keep the capacity and go for the 15. I think it’s a cool idea. Some people do other things like buy 10 ar-15’s or long range rifles they only shoot 200 yards with so why is this any different.

Re: is 200 worth a 15" sbs mossberg

Louder, more spread, having to deal with the feds, less muzzle velocity, $200 that could go for something else, honestly, is loosing 3-1/2 inches worth it? Just my opinion.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

I totally agree with Oli. I already said it isnt for me, but like Oli mentioned (paraphrasing) we all do weird stuff that someone else wouldnt do...

If you dig it, then do it! ;)

It's still gonna be a while before the KT KSG is readily available. Not sure if they're even shipping them out yet. If they have, it's another situation like the KT PMR-30 where there are very few out there and nobody can get their hands on one. It's a really cool concept though, especially the dual mag tubes.

Well the “NeoStead” has been around for ten years so I don’t know why they cant figure it out. I was just wondering if Kungfunerd knew something the rest of us didn’t…..so we are back to the 200 for the short barrel, which is available now.

is 200 worth a 15" sbs mossberg

Ah....you want one NOW.
Well at least the Keltec is "shipping".

Are there no Mossberg kits being made?
There are Saiga and 870 kits

Re: is 200 worth a 15

nasa said:
Entirely dependent on load, I would say. Mine is not any louder.
more spread,
Absolutely not if properly done. Shot spread is a function of choke, NOT barrel length. With a poorly cut barrel, pattern can be affected.
having to deal with the feds,
No more so than you already do in filing your other taxes.
less muzzle velocity,
Not appreciably. And since we're talking shotguns, MV isn't a big deal to begin with.
$200 that could go for something else,
Not a huge amount of money.
honestly, is loosing 3-1/2 inches worth it? Just my opinion.
To me? Yes. But not for everybody.
Add in a 12" LOP stock, and you're talking about taking 5.5-6" off the total length of an 18" shotgun, and more off of a longer barrel.
And on my 14" SBS 590A1, I have the exact same capacity as the 18.5" model.

sbshogue.jpg

ernestrincon said:
Is this a 500 or 590?

Re: is 200 worth a 15

m24shooter said:
on my 14" SBS 590A1, I have the exact same capacity as the 18.5" model.

sbshogue.jpg

That is drop dead sexy

Back