• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is ammo coming back???

My LGS lifted their ammo limit for today only... Surprisingly, they didn't mark up most of their ammo during this shortage. Unfortunately, they did mark up primers and .22 LR. Primers were $45 for 1000 and .22 LR was $40 for a box of Federal. I passed on those, but did pick up some .45 ACP and 44 Magnum.

One thing to remember. Don't pay the over inflated prices unless you just have too and you are out. WE can put a stop to this none sense by not buying into the problem of hoarders selling at inflated prices. Keep fighting the good fight!!!

I'll really not trying to be callous, but I am curious about this. What impact are these various new state adopted laws going to have on the supply and legal demand for ammunition?

I really think the threat of these things drove a lot of folks to buy plenty of ammunition, but now that these draconian laws are actually here, might the impact be just the opposite? These new state laws make it mighty difficult to buy even a few bullets. Not to get into all the specifics, but I'd think applying for an "eligibility certificate" every time you want to buy a bullet would cut way down on legal ammunition purchases. I'd think no longer being allowed to purchase any ammunition online would reduce lots of legal ammunition purchases. Might this artificially reduce legal ammunition demand in these states? Take care. Tom Worthington

Ammo is still pretty hard to come by in Sacramento. I used to buy a box anytime I was near a LGS and gradually add to my stockpile. Unfortunately, that all but stopped after Sandy Hook. Even if you can find a box of 9mm FMJ you can expect to pay $25. Walmart is the only place to get ammo at pre-panic prices but they're usually sold out right after opening.

It's really a shame because I bought a 9mm about a month ago and would like to buy ammo to run through it. I just hope over the next few months the demand will diminish and the market will correct itself. Unfortunately, I think it will take much longer for the prices to adjust accordingly.

Here's a link to a local story on the shortage
http://www.news10.net/news/article/239767/2/Gun-store-owners-Ammunition-shortage-not-going-away

In Delaware the LGS's are starting to get some things back in, most at decent prices. Most pistol calibers including 9mm are there. But still no .22.

I was at dicks today picked up two boxes of of fed truball and a box of buck shot and a box of target load. Seems like they are getting some stock in. It also looked like they had more selection of rifles and shot guns.

Ivannahumplot said:
I was at dicks today picked up two boxes of of fed truball and a box of buck shot and a box of target load. Seems like they are getting some stock in. It also looked like they had more selection of rifles and shot guns.

Dick's SG seems to be the place for Federal Tru-ball! The two nearest me have more then plenty of it in stock!!

Itsricmo said:
Ivannahumplot said:

Dick's SG seems to be the place for Federal Tru-ball! The two nearest me have more then plenty of it in stock!!

Yea they seem to have a bit of it. Last time I was there they didn't have any 12 ga tru ball only 20 ga they still have a 6 boxes per customer limit.

The one in Altoona, PA, has about 50+ boxes of 12 gauge lol... I am not too worried about not being able to find any right now

Itsricmo said:
The one in Altoona, PA, has about 50+ boxes of 12 gauge lol... I am not too worried about not being able to find any right now

That's what a lot of people said 3 months ago. :lol: :lol:

be glad you are not in NY,,,,you will have to give DNA soon for a box of .22's. effin sucks.

old mossy said:
be glad you are not in NY,,,,you will have to give DNA soon for a box of .22's. effin sucks.
That's why we need to get what we need now. At least we have until Jan 15 of 2014 when they start doing background checks on ammo sales

The ammo shortage still seems foreign to me. I can still find almost all the ammo I need at the same prices I was able to get them for before. Right now, my LGS is having a Hornady sale and the prices are actually cheaper than they were before the shortage. The only differences I have seen are 22 lr is $35 for a box of 550, and primers jumped (but are creeping back down). They did place an ammo limit on handgun ammo, but other than that, everything still seems normal.

Saw four 20rd boxes of Winchester 55gr 5.56 in the case at Wally World a couple days ago.

Kinda shocked me, This was the first 5.56 of any kind I've seen on shelves anywhere here in the past six months or so. Nashville hoardes everything though. The news mentions snow and all the grocery stores here sell out of milk, bread, and eggs. Not that anyone would ever get snowed in here, but if they did I guess the entire population would be surviving on egg sammiches. Screw that, I'm eat'n steaks and taters...

Hornady answers ammo shortage questions below. The longer the ammo shortage goes the more I believe it is fueled by panicked civilians, not the government hoarding it (although they buy a heck of a lot too). I don't see it coming back for at least another year and perhaps Obama's entire second term. That was wise of Hornady to post this:

“The current political climate has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products, including ours,” Hornady said in the statement. “Empty retail shelves, long backorders, and exaggerated price increases on online auction sites – all fueled by rumors and conjecture – have amplified concerns about the availability of ammunition and firearms-related items.”

The company asked that you, the consumer, not let Internet rumors on the ammo shortage influence or scare you into paying any outrageous prices. And stressed that if information about Hornday’s supply doesn’t come from Hornady, don’t believe it. Here are the rumors they addressed in the statement:

Q: Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?

A: Not at all.

Q: Did you stop selling bullets so you could only make loaded ammunition?

A: Absolutely not.

Q: Since we can’t find your product you must be selling it all to the government.

A: Nope, less than 5 percent of our sales are to government entities.

Q: Why can’t you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?

A: We’ve been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We’ve added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that – please take a tour of the factory. You’ll be amazed at what you see.

i agree Mike,people panic.
good read from Hornady,thank you.

Glad you liked that Old Mossy. When you have 10 people lining up at Walmart every morning (as noted in the Walmart thread) for ammo when the truck shows up says a lot about who's driving the shortage. I hope that this year's gouge pricing doesn't become next years "deal".

Not if the DHS has its way it appears:

The Oklahoma Republican called the buy-ups intentional and referred to testimony last month from Nick Nayak, the Department of Homeland Security’s chief procurement officer, who said DHS has the right to buy up the ammunition.

“I believe it’s intentional,” Inhofe said. “Now we had someone testify the other day the DHS, the Department of Homeland Security, has the ‘right’ — this is a bureaucrat that said this — they have the ‘right’ to buy as much as they want, and they’re planning to buy 750 million rounds. Well, that is more than three times the amount that our soldiers are using for training to defend our nation. So, it’s just another effort to restrict gun activity and ownership. We have in this country the Second Amendment, that preserves the right to keep and bear arms, and the president doesn’t believe in that.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/06/inhof ... z2T7SnXfOm

Back