• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is California Headed to Semi Auto Rifle Ban

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
This does seem like a logical step for the California anti gunners to take. I'm sure they realize that ingenuity will find a way around their attempts at incremental steps.

On January 1, 2017, the sale of modern sporting rifles with “bullet button” magazine release mechanisms will be prohibited and this has led to a run on AR-15 and AK-47-based firearms.
For those not familiar with a “bullet button,” it is a magazine release that California lawmakers require as a means of reducing the speed at which a law-abiding citizen can remove an empty magazine to replace it with a loaded one. The mechanism releases the magazine once the citizen uses a tool or the point of a bullet–thus the name “bullet button”–to press in the button.
Breitbart News spoke with Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, about the current buying surge and he said that “as of two weeks ago, 1.3 million guns had been sold in California during 2016.” Moreover, he said they expect another “300,000 to 600,000” firearm transfers to be added to that number before the year ends.
It is important to note that the 1.3 million guns sold represent all types of guns–long guns and handguns–but Paredes stressed that long gun sales alone are skyrocketing.
He said:
Long gun sales are moving at such a brisk pace we can barely keep up. And a lot of those are modern sporting rifles–AR-15 and AK-47 style rifles. A lot of people are concerned that if they don’t get them now it may be long time–if ever–before they are able to buy them in California again. After all, after January 1 it will be illegal to sell any of those guns that have the California-compliant ‘bullet button.’
We asked Paredes how California reached a point where lawmakers are literally using law upon law to deny law-abiding citizens the ability to acquire the arms they want for self and home defense. He said, “Let’s put it this way, both houses in the state legislature are run by the Democrats. They have a two-thirds super-majority and don’t need Republicans for anything. They can pass bills and override a governor’s veto, if they want, all by themselves.”
He said the bills Democrats are passing–and Governor Jerry Brown (D) is signing–force Californians to “come up with goofy mechanism like the ‘bullet button'” or else live without access to the guns that are the most popular in the rest of the country.

California representatives would ban oxygen if they thought it would keep their activist donors happy.

Actually, they aren't as worried about you sucking oxygen as they might appear, but don't try to exhale!

That CO2 carries a carbon tax responsibility.

Back on topic, sorta, this law affects centerfires, so it may be time to revive big bore rimfire technology.

Last edited:
They redefined what they classify as an assault weapon so as to try and stop the legal acquisition of the Evil Black Rifles via the use of bullet buttons AR/AK/ETC.. The next legal work around primarily AR focused is to change the mag release to only work when the rifles action is opened and or design to be able to be fed a magazine from the top while the action is open. If you still want an EBR but no funky loading like I described then the only 2 legal courses are a featureless rifle. Meaning a rifle with fixed buttstock, no pistol grip or thumb-hole stock, no flash hiders or any other features that deem the rifle evil, and no forward pistol grips. Or the last option is if you have an EBR and purchased it before 1/1/17 and want to keep it in its classified AW configuration then you can voluntarily register it as an assault weapon with CA DOJ. This might be old news to many of you guys but I figure might as well put this up for newbs like myself especially those that don't live in CA that have no idea what we're griping about. So if not registered as AW and not featureless then you will have committed a felony in the eyes of CA and if caught could be facing some serious punishment. The other option again AR based, is to convert your AR to a 15/22. since that is not a center-fire cartridge.

They redefined what they classify as an assault weapon . . . . if you have an EBR and purchased it before 1/1/17 and want to keep it in its classified AW configuration then you can voluntarily register it as an assault weapon with CA DOJ. . .

My understanding is that due to the approval process, the last possible purchase date was December 21st, and so it is now too late to buy a new one here.

Also, my understanding from speaking with the local FFL, is that the DOJ will allow you to apply for a permit but doesn't guarantee it will be granted.

He says it is likely that the application form asks a bunch of anti 2a biased questions, as a form of profiling, and the actual requirements for your permit to be approved under this process have neither been determined or published.

In fact he does not expect those rules to be established before the actual registration begins.

So any of us who register may find ourselves registering into a system that will systematically deny permits, or require us to undergo further legal limbo as owners.

Our state government has pretty much decided that anybody who doesn't agree with their un-American rules is evil, and they intend to use this is a message to profile us.

Also many people don't remember that during the previous assault weapons ban here people who voluntarily registered eventually did have their guns made illegal and confiscated, well those who avoided registering into the system mainly still own their guns.

Anyhow, I'm hoping all this will be moot when the federal government tells California how the cow ate the Cabbage, and what they will have to do if they want to participate in America & see its protection from the forces of evil.

In my mind, there is an absolute right of the federal government, under the Mandate of the supremacy clause, to step in (as they did recently in Kansas, but with the opposite goals in mind.)

That could never happen as long as DC was completely obamafried but now I believe there's a chance.

...Also many people don't remember that during the previous assault weapons ban here people who voluntarily registered eventually did have their guns made illegal and confiscated, well those who avoided registering into the system mainly still own their guns.
Well I sure as hell remember. If anybody doesn't understand "registration means confiscation" they need to under stand this:

In California, redefining the specs for what was and was not an "assault" weapon was used as an excuse to require owners of an SKS Sportster rifle to register the guns with the state. The state promised that this registration would never lead to a ban or a confiscation of them. In good faith owners of these weapons -- who were and always had been law-abiding people -- complied. Within a short time the California legislators rethought their positions. The result: another law making the SKS Sportster illegal, and subject to confiscation/destruction within a specified period of time.

An inexpensive rifle, the SKS Sportster confiscation order was couched as a "buy back" program. State law enforcement officials took a federal payoff of about $1.5 million to "buy back" as many of the rifles as they could, paying participants as much as $230 for their rifles. A grace period was also extended in which the owners who had not yet come forth to turn in their rifles would be free from any government prosecution under the new ex post facto legislation. On 10/31/99 all noncompliant owners were guilty of a felony if they remained in possession of one of the banned weapons.

from 10/12/2001 By Dorian A Police State By Any Other Name... http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/heavho2.htm
There is a lesson here folks. I hope the political calculus of 2017+ will allow us to gain back some ground against mistreatment like that.

upload_2016-12-30_16-39-48.jpeg

Who knows the next item on the chopping block might be to ban featureless rifles as well. Odd looking to me but apparently legal configuration and able to have a standard mag release button. This is the best option available to avoid registration and still legally owning an AR. The other mag-lock devices are still being debated over.
20140414_213639.jpg

Check the newest new item under Stag Arms new items.

Not much more attractive but I think it's more likely to be accepted by the state.

Check the newest new item under Stag Arms new items.

Not much more attractive but I think it's more likely to be accepted by the state.
Yeah I seen that stock and thanks for reminding me of it. Hera Arms.. Their non California version with the fore grip is super cool looking but still pointless to us here in the ban state. The only thing the Thordsen stock has going for it is that you can still wrap your thumb around the sporter grip. I think the ability to grip it is still more easily adapted to then the weird one sided cupping you have to do on the grip wrap versions.

hera-arms-cqr-california-compliant-stock.jpg

CA Featureless Version
hera-arms-cqr-stock-and-foregrip.jpg

Free State Version

hera-arms-cqr-california-compliant-stock.jpg

CA Featureless Version

That just looks uncomfortable to hold. How are you sposta get a good grip on it? Now it looks unsafe to hold....sheesh.....
I am so glad I moved out of Cali...

Crap...wait...I live in Connecticut....foiled again !!!!

Ah yes.....free speach. It's double edged sword.....

I am a naive sort, but it seems to me most any item, baseball bat, golf club, pop bottle, or a myriad of other objects could be considered an assault weapon depending on the person possessing and their intent. Just a thought.

Well I'm currently posting from my assault cell phone, so beware malefactors! Buwahaha....:rules:

Found another alternative for those interested. They sell just the lower and proprietary bcg so you can use your own upper if you did not want to purchase the entire rifle.

Flight Lite Industries SCR formerly known as the Ares Defense SCR

This one's been slightly customized since they usually come with a magpul forend and I think a thread protector instead of a muzzle device.
Ares-SCR-Lower-with-Custom-Upper-and-Monte-Carlo-Stock.jpg

Another example of a custom one.
20160709_024417.jpg

proprietary bolt, not easy to get the parts recently which is why I went thordsden.

Yah, Thordsen seems the way to go if you already have an AR. SCR seems more of a decent option for someone that was to late to the game and have to deal with all the new regs or someone that just can't get over the way the Thordsen looks. Then it becomes a debate why not just go Mini14. My guess is besides the fact that the AR platform is so popular but it is so modular, allowing for plenty of different upgrades to suit the needs of the shooter. At the end of the day they both go bang, but it's nice to see the options out there.

Back